Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

I know their suppose to live in a world where high born boys are given training in swordsmanship and archery from the best teachers from like the age of one..... but still come on. In our world the children of the wealthy are given the best intellectual education..... yet it's not like all our grate scientists are the children of millionaires
    Last edited by slimjim; 20 March 2012, 01:20 PM.

You're comparing apples and oranges. In the world of GoT most of the men need to be at least competent warriors, while children of millionaires can live off of their parents' wealth and be brats about it.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm not buying this theory. Take People like Jaime Lannister, for example. He doesn't worry at all. It's like his primary character trait.

But taking what you meant rather than what you said... I still don't buy it. Most of the noblemen aren't great warriers objectively. But they're not only trained from an early age. They're the only ones with any training at all in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king and all that.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        Most of the noblemen aren't great warriers objectively
        John now is a good fighter
        Robb Stark is a good fighter
        Eddard Stark was a good fighter
        Benjen Stark is a good fighter
        Robert Baratheon was a good fighter
        Jaime Lannister is a good fighter
        Khal Drogo is a good fighter
        Jorah Mormont is a good fighter
        Theon Greyjoy is a good fighter (and attractive & powerful enough not to have to pay for it but that's another issue)

Comment

Wow. All the main characters are good fighters? Who'd a thought it. You missed the objectively there. Yes the main character seem like good fighters mainly because the people they're fighting have had no training.

This is especially the case for Jon, who made mince meat out of the other boys in the night watch because he had training and they were peasant's who'd never seen a sword before.

plus we see noblemen who are not good fighters at all.
          Samwell Tarly is not a good fighter.
          Tommen Lannnister is not a good fighter.
          Wilas Tyrel is not a good fighter.
          Renly Baratheon is not a good fighter
          Viserys Targaryen is not a good fighter
          Aerys Targaryen is not a good fighter

Theon Greyjoy is a good Archer he's not as good at other stuff.

Taking the prequel story 'the hedge knight into account' you can add Daeron and Baleor's son as well who weren't good fighters.

eta: And on your list, Benjen being a good fighter is an assumption since the guy has no action scenes. He's first ranger but why he got that position we don't know. Mormont could just be sucking up to the Stark's who are the most loyal supporters of the Night Watch and since first ranger is a leadership role anyway. Well you can be a good leader without being a good fighter.

And for those of the older generation Robert/Eddard. They lived through a War. If they weren't good fighters they've be dead.
          Last edited by Crazedwraith; 20 March 2012, 01:59 PM.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
            John now is a good fighter
            Robb Stark is a good fighter
            Eddard Stark was a good fighter
            Benjen Stark is a good fighter
            Robert Baratheon was a good fighter
            Jaime Lannister is a good fighter
            Khal Drogo is a good fighter
            Jorah Mormont is a good fighter
            Theon Greyjoy is a good fighter (and attractive & powerful enough not to have to pay for it but that's another issue)
            That's hardly the best list. Some of those characters were great fighters, like Robert, but certainly aren’t by the time of the series. Others like Robb are competent but not brilliant, he deliberately avoids fighting Jaime Lannister, he knows he'd lose.

More to the point the nobles and knights make up a large number of the best fighters because as noted, they are the only ones who can afford decent equipment and training. If you're a poor peasant you can't hope to match them. Further if the nobles want to hold on to their power, they have to know how to fight, in the case of Drogo, he's Khal because of his strength and skill as a warrior.

That being said, there are plenty of decent fighters who aren’t nobles, Syrio Forel and Bronn could have killed most people on that list, with a couple of exceptions.

Comment

Yes the main character seem like good fighters mainly because the people they're fighting have had no training
              yeah no "official training" but still I find in fairly hard to believe Wildlings and violent teen peasants wouldn't have picked up enough stuff from like male relatives an actual experience of things like bar fights that they would be able to at least take one properly trained guy fighting in a group unless he had some damn good natural talent besides
              Samwell Tarly is not a good fighter.
              Tommen Lannnister is not a good fighter.
              Wilas Tyrel is not a good fighter.
              Renly Baratheon is not a good fighter
              Viserys Targaryen is not a good fighter
              Aerys Targaryen is not a good fighter
              I'm talking about the TV show not the books, most of those characters either haven't been seen fighting or for all intensive purposes don't exist yet in the TV show's universe. As for Wilas Tyrel and Aerys Targaryen, he's a one of and he spends all his time surrounded by Dothraki so almost any body would appear to suck by comparison
              Last edited by slimjim; 20 March 2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

or am I just reading to much into the moving civilisation on horse back thing?

Comment

All noblemen are trained in sword fighting since they are children. This is mentioned often and shouldn't come as a surprise. The system of governing is similar to the medieval system we know from our history, which also indicates the same thing - nobles and others with money and power were the ones trained in sparring.

I don't get the point of comparison to current times in our world. Its not like Obama became president for his ability to spar with a sword or shoot a gun. That's like asking why we don't burn women at the stake anymore for suspecting they are witches. Times change.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would say they are based on the Mongol/Hun civilization yes.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

There are many noblemen, we just see a small fraction.

Comment

Originally posted by sholva1 View Post
                        There are many noblemen, we just see a small fraction.
                        Plot skill...Instead of plot armor (not that plot armor matters in this show, from what people have told me)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          Plot skill...Instead of plot armor (not that plot armor matters in this show, from what people have told me)
                          Not really, just realism. Nobles and Knights were the closest thing in medieval times to professional soldiers, and in order to keep your holdings you had to be good at fighting. Hell, knights are an entire class of people structured around receiving land in return for service in war.

Comment

To put it simply...really simply.
                            If they're not, someone will kill them and take their stuff.

And im pretty sure that if in our world the Camerons were in danger of being attacked and killed by the Millibands, they would have learned early on how to fight.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was joking guys
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X