Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas

So, anyone watching the return of this iconic show?

I remember my parents being into this show when I was growing up, so my wife and I gave the premiere a shot. I have to say, it is really good thus far. We will definitely be watching this every week.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

I watched the original series from the beginning. I'll be interested to see how the new one does. Nice to have some of the original cast included in the new series.

Comment

I grew up watching the original with my mum. I re-watched the whole thing in preparation for the new series. You're damned right I'm watching the new one
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd like to give it a go. I enjoyed the show growing up, watched it with my grandmother and I've seen it all twice since.
        sigpic

Comment

i watched it. Wasn't bad but years ago I stopped watching the first one because I tired of all the bickering and backstabbing...and JR never losing and never being held accountable for his stunts.

this one goes the same way I may tire of it because i simply find that too frustrating to watch.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Since I'm in Dallas, its nice to see filming locations that I know! I noticed they used the same opening music, but updated it to show the current skyline of Dallas. The Omni Hotel you see when the show opens wasn't even a year old when the opening sequence was filmed. I also "like" how they show Southfork as being the sprawling ranch in Dallas...there aren't any ranches within the city limits of Dallas. The actual Southfork ranch is in Parker, TX. Which isn't even in Dallas County...its in Collin County. But its nice that they're using the ranch for the new show. This past week, the city of Dallas voted to pay the new series $200k per year to keep filming in the area.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              Since I'm in Dallas, its nice to see filming locations that I know! I noticed they used the same opening music, but updated it to show the current skyline of Dallas. The Omni Hotel you see when the show opens wasn't even a year old when the opening sequence was filmed. I also "like" how they show Southfork as being the sprawling ranch in Dallas...there aren't any ranches within the city limits of Dallas. The actual Southfork ranch is in Parker, TX. Which isn't even in Dallas County...its in Collin County. But its nice that they're using the ranch for the new show. This past week, the city of Dallas voted to pay the new series $200k per year to keep filming in the area.
              Well, Southfork was never supposed to be in Dallas proper. It was always in Braddock County.

Not having ever been to Texas, I don't know if that improves the realism or not, but there it is.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Well, Southfork was never supposed to be in Dallas proper. It was always in Braddock County.

Not having ever been to Texas, I don't know if that improves the realism or not, but there it is.
                No, not really...since there is no such county in the state. And when they start off the show, as I said, with a sprawling ranch and the words, "Southfork Ranch, Dallas, TX" it sounds like the show is supposed to be set in Dallas proper.

I did like seeing the American Airlines center (which is where they had the Cattle Barron's Ball). It also looks like they're using the W hotel and the Omni to film some of the sequences. The scene at the Texas State Fair was filmed in September of last year.
                sigpic

Comment

Hm, I'd think that would help somewhat then? All through the original run the ranch was said to be in Braddock County. Whenever the cops showed up, it was the Braddock County Sheriff's Department, whenever anyone went to jail it was the Braddock County Jail, etc. I'd think that deliberately removing it from the city itself would allow for that suspension of disbelief.

That said, the text card saying "Southfork Ranch, Dallas, TX" is a pretty sizeable oversight

Comment

Nice to see some people posting in here. Hopefully we can have some nice discussions as this show unfolds.

My wife and I can't wait for next Wednesday night.

Hopefully soon, I might look into picking up some of the old seasons. That way, my wife and I can be a little more informed on past events of the show.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Hm, I'd think that would help somewhat then? All through the original run the ranch was said to be in Braddock County. Whenever the cops showed up, it was the Braddock County Sheriff's Department, whenever anyone went to jail it was the Braddock County Jail, etc. I'd think that deliberately removing it from the city itself would allow for that suspension of disbelief.

That said, the text card saying "Southfork Ranch, Dallas, TX" is a pretty sizeable oversight
                      Personally, I like the fact that they are using real county names. When that one girl was talking to Sue Ellen about the old oil leases, the map the girl had showed both Dallas and Collin counties. I even saw Denton county on the map as well. So, I know they are being more accurate as far as the locations go this go around.

When I used to watch the original run of Dallas with my family, I was so young that I don't remember the Braddock County stuff. I know it did happen, because I looked it up! It just seems odd since the show is called "Dallas." I hope I get to see some the actors while the show is filming here.
                      sigpic

Comment

I watched the first episode. it seemed true to form.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          I watched the first episode. it seemed true to form.
                          Is that a good thing or not for you?
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Can't speak for him/her, but for me it was an excellent thing

The younger actors are a little bit stiff, but then really let's be honest: acting was never Dallas's strong point anyway.

Comment

I am so mad at myself. I fell asleep tonight, missing the episode. Thank God for my DVR. Stupid work and heat.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X