Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

First Lieutenant

Default Re: would Theon Greyjoy have agreed to marry Myrcella?

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Slim, why don't you just create a thread for all your questions rather than make a thread for each one of them?
    because I don't think of them all at once and they'd each get less attention if I did that

First Lieutenant

Default what is the nature of Brienne of Tarth's devotion to Renly?

I honestly can't tell if it's suppose to be romantic or platonic?

Default Re: what is the nature of Brienne of Tarth's devotion to Renly?

We could tell you from how it was explained in the books, but you'll just shrug it off and say it doesn't count because it's from the books and not the show.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Shylodog View Post
    We could tell you from how it was explained in the books, but you'll just shrug it off and say it doesn't count because it's from the books and not the show.
    you don't get credit for things you don't put in your show

Then why ask the question. You've seen the show, make up your own mind.

For the record, she fancies the pants off him.

Banner By JME2

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Crazedwraith View Post
    Then why ask the question. You've seen the show, make up your own mind.

For the record, she fancies the pants off him.
    Well that's just great, now I feel like a sexist for assuming a butch women wouldn't be in love with a man
    Last edited by slimjim; May 4th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

it's great not grate (a grate is a metal structure over a hole or opening)

and yeah, we can tell you what's in the book but if all that counts for you is what you see on the show then it really does no good for us to tell you. I suggest you make up your own mind or get and read the books if you want more insight.

I was curious too, but i'd rather find out by watching the show
    Last Movie Watched
    The King of Fighters

Last Video Game Played
    Portal

My point is this: the books are not fan fiction. The show is based (and not all that loosely) on the books. If someone chooses not to read the books and relies completely on the show for the source material, then the answers they seek to these types of questions will never hold any merit to them. Therefore, there is no reason to answer them. If you're asking the question, then you're seeking another's wisdom on the subject. Those of us who have read the books know the answers - or at least generally agree on what the answer should be.

Saying the books are not a valid source is like saying that scenes in the bonus material which expand on the back story that were clipped due to time and budgetary constraints are not valid. Also, if a director mentions in the DVD bonus material what his intentions were with a scene or collection if scenes, do you summarily dismiss him because that point didn't get across to you on-screen?

The show is so close to the actual source material that if a question is asked, the answer given by those of us who have read it should suffice without it turning into a troll-fest. The alternative is that we simply ignore your questions because we assume you'll never accept the answer.

(Moderator)

Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. People answering the question then getting argued with and told 'no, that wasn't in the show so it doesn't count'....beyond frustrating.

I know there are people watching that haven't read the books. I was one of them last year. And I know this by reading predictions of who'll survive to the end that contain characters I know are dead in the books

the books will ALWAYS contain more info than the show. Always. there is insight and 'behind the scenes' info that's written into the thousands of pages that'll never make it onto the show. On the other end, we've started to see scenes in the show that weren't in the book. And we've seen and likely will continue to see scenes that were written from one character's POV in the book that are written differently for the show. Artistic license.

Just why ask the question if all you seem to really want to do is argue about the answer.

First Lieutenant

My point is this: the books are not fan fiction. The show is based (and not all that loosely) on the books. If someone chooses not to read the books and relies completely on the show for the source material, then the answers they seek to these types of questions will never hold any merit to them. Therefore, there is no reason to answer them. If you're asking the question, then you're seeking another's wisdom on the subject. Those of us who have read the books know the answers - or at least generally agree on what the answer should be.
    I actually asked because I have really bad gaydar

Saying the books are not a valid source is like saying that scenes in the bonus material which expand on the back story that were clipped due to time and budgetary constraints are not valid. Also, if a director mentions in the DVD bonus material what his intentions were with a scene or collection if scenes, do you summarily dismiss him because that point didn't get across to you on-screen?
    yes I do disregard both of those things

The show is so close to the actual source material that if a question is asked, the answer given by those of us who have read it should suffice without it turning into a troll-fest. The alternative is that we simply ignore your questions because we assume you'll never accept the answer.
    there similar but not identical

Default Re: are the Dothraki based on the Huns?

..."The Dothraki are a bit of a cross between the Mongols and some of the Native American tribes..." - (Special Features) Game of Thrones: Creating the Dothraki Language

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread The Unprofessionals page for updates.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
    "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Random Thought: ...Andrew Lee Potts as Wacko from Animanacs... 'Ups And Downs'

a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/i...rew/index.html

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread The Unprofessionals page for updates.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
    "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

(Moderator)

He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.
    I think he said he wrote the ep he did the commentary for...which is one of the last season one eps...

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
    From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/i...rew/index.html
    I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*

I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*
    ...but the show was gleaned from the book...

(Moderator)

You know that, I know that...but to mangle Jamie from Mythbusters....I reject your reality and insert my own.

First Lieutenant

Default I’m I the only one who thinks Theon seems a bit like a TV character from the 1970s?

It’s not a bad thing it’s just that there’s something about his appearance and his mannerisms that puts me in mind of films like say..... A Clockwork Orange or Scum

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: I’m I the only one who thinks Theon seems a bit like a TV character from the 1970

Well Alfie Allen looks a bit like a young Malcolm McDowell.