Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant Alteran Prior's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53

    Default What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    When a near-ascended being (such as a pre-ascended or de-ascended being, or an enhanced being such as a Prior) uses psionic powers such as telekinesis, what is the source of the energy?

    Is it somehow generated within the being's biological body or is it some external ambient energy (like the Force in Star Wars) that the being taps into and controls?

    Is the energy the same kind of energy that constitutes ascended beings or is it a lower form of energy from a lower plane of existence?

  2. #2
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    15,352

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    AAs.

  3. #3
    Captain Gormagon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Right where I am.
    Posts
    1,031

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Not really sure. I could make some theories.

    Cassandra generated some sort of electromagnetic field that allowed her to manipulate certain objects. Lets work with this for now.

    A Prior throws a SG-team member back. That SG team member has gear made out of steel, so a EM field could push those back. But what about the person or the areas ware we see just a human moved around, like when the Prior grabs Landry and infects him with that plague. All humans contain about 75% water, water is a polar molecule. Perhaps a Prior can do what Kyle XY was capable of doing, change the polarity of the water molecules in his environment, resulting in being able to throw people around.

    However they are shown performing all kinds of feats that the ability to manipulate EM fields and polarity would not explain, so I would think that ether-the Priors are tapping some sort of unknown exotic energy field or their physiology is advanced enough to generate the required psionic energy themselves, which is draining as has been shown in the tv show multiple times. That puts us back a square one. We just do not know.
    He who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

    If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

  4. #4
    Linda Mason JosephGracey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    I think we're talking at least 9 volts
    http://bayimg.com/HAnNnAadJ


  5. #5
    Airman Anoobian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Duat (Alteran Galaxy)
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alteran Prior View Post
    When a near-ascended being (such as a pre-ascended or de-ascended being, or an enhanced being such as a Prior) uses psionic powers such as telekinesis, what is the source of the energy?

    Is it somehow generated within the being's biological body or is it some external ambient energy (like the Force in Star Wars) that the being taps into and controls?

    Is the energy the same kind of energy that constitutes ascended beings or is it a lower form of energy from a lower plane of existence?
    Ascended beings operate on a level of being pure energy. For a real life comparison, I suppose you could say they are pure quantum energy beings. I figured they'd manipulate subatomic particles with their minds, but if that's the case, do they actually dial a gate or do they just create the wormhole with their ability to where they want to go but using the gate for the necessary conduit?

    They said the Ascended beings are energy waves, that's how Merlin's device could destroy them. And they could block a Prior's powers with a certain frequency wave, so maybe it is the manipulation of EM fields

  6. #6
    First Lieutenant Brother Freyr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alteran Prior View Post
    When a near-ascended being (such as a pre-ascended or de-ascended being, or an enhanced being such as a Prior) uses psionic powers such as telekinesis, what is the source of the energy?
    Super high-calorie diet. Eggs and meat in the morning, mountains of pasta, platters of potatoes. It never ends. Really quite exhausting.

  7. #7
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invalid: Ten Symbol Address
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    My guess has always been that, while they control their body's natural actions to a much greater extent as to effectively make themselves some kind 'omni-penknife', they aren't actually manipulating the world but using a 'gut instinct' and some element of 'the butterfly effect' in order to make the world around them react as they wish.

    I don't have any proof, and there may be evidence I am wrong, but that has always just 'sat' best with me.
    Last edited by Twilord; August 12th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant Brother Freyr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilord View Post
    My guess has always been that, while they control their body's natural actions to a much greater extent as to effectively make themselves some kind 'omni-penknife', they aren't actually manipulating the world but using a 'gut instinct' and some element of 'the butterfly effect' in order to make the world around them react as they wish.
    I was joking about mountains of food, of course, but the reason for my fun is that telekinesis is impossible in our universe (or multi-verse). There could be a different universe, with different natural laws, wherein telekinesis exists, but not ours. There's no sound theory for how telekinesis could be possible in our universe. Same goes for the "omni-penknife" idea.

    Telekinesis, telepathy, etc., are properly understood as fantasy rather than science fiction. I've got no problem suspending my disbelief and enjoying them, but seeking plausible explanations for how they work is an exercise in futility.

  9. #9
    Remata'Klan jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    injecting self with ketracel white
    Posts
    32,735

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Magnets. Jack proved as much in Rite of Passage

  10. #10
    Abby's Tattoo Artist The Dude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Off the line; on the side- by the by
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    AAs.
    lol
    They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invalid: Ten Symbol Address
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    If you want an explaination for how it fits into Sci-Fi its simple by my definition of what Sci-Fi is:

    "Sci-Fi is when, with however much respect towards the laws of physics it is capable of, the basic concept of a story delves into a what if scenario."

    In the case of all Stargate continuities the basic question is "what if Ancient Astronaut Theory is true". Almost all of what Stargate uses for its story telling are elements found in Ancient Astronaut Theory, even the most absurd ones.

    The whole 'what if' thing I use is how I segregate Sci-Fi from Space Fantasy.

    Stargate: What if Ancient Astronaut Theory was true and came back to haunt us.
    Star Trek: What if we developed far enough to form an instellar version of the UN with alien allies.
    Farscape: What if a lone modern human found himself flung into complex intergalactic community.

    Other things like Star Wars and Doctor Who that I can't pin down like that I call space fantasy.

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant Brother Freyr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilord View Post
    If you want an explaination for how it fits into Sci-Fi its simple by my definition of what Sci-Fi is:

    "Sci-Fi is when, with however much respect towards the laws of physics it is capable of, the basic concept of a story delves into a what if scenario."

    In the case of all Stargate continuities the basic question is "what if Ancient Astronaut Theory is true". Almost all of what Stargate uses for its story telling are elements found in Ancient Astronaut Theory, even the most absurd ones.

    The whole 'what if' thing I use is how I segregate Sci-Fi from Space Fantasy.

    Stargate: What if Ancient Astronaut Theory was true and came back to haunt us.
    Star Trek: What if we developed far enough to form an instellar version of the UN with alien allies.
    Farscape: What if a lone modern human found himself flung into complex intergalactic community.

    Other things like Star Wars and Doctor Who that I can't pin down like that I call space fantasy.
    Mmm, everyone's got their definition. Here's mine for the devices (powers, technologies, etc.) within the story:

    If the story is supposed to be in our universe, then
    • a science fiction device is anything that isn't precluded, in principle, by the laws of physics.
    • a fantasy device: natural laws of the universe don't apply: magic, telekinesis, clairivoyance, ghosts...

    We're talking here about individual building blocks of a story, not the genre label of the story itself. (The OP asked about "psionic" powers like telekinesis.) A sci-fi series like SG-1 continues to be science-fiction when it indulges in fantasy devices like "psionic" powers. Still, I recognize them as the fantastical elements that they are.

  13. #13
    Chief Master Sergeant Dr. D.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilord View Post
    Other things like Star Wars and Doctor Who that I can't pin down like that I call space fantasy.
    That's an interesting perspective, so with Doctor Who being considered a space fantasy, that effectively puts Stargate back at the top of the list as the world's longest running science fiction series (not just America's). The overall consensus, though, seems to be that more people consider DW a sci-fi than a space fantasy.

  14. #14
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whipping you, then taking you
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    Mmm, everyone's got their definition. Here's mine for the devices (powers, technologies, etc.) within the story:

    If the story is supposed to be in our universe, then
    • a science fiction device is anything that isn't precluded, in principle, by the laws of physics.
    • a fantasy device: natural laws of the universe don't apply: magic, telekinesis, clairivoyance, ghosts...

    We're talking here about individual building blocks of a story, not the genre label of the story itself. (The OP asked about "psionic" powers like telekinesis.) A sci-fi series like SG-1 continues to be science-fiction when it indulges in fantasy devices like "psionic" powers. Still, I recognize them as the fantastical elements that they are.
    Did you know

    "magic" has its own "laws" as well?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.

  15. #15
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    15,352

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. D. View Post
    That's an interesting perspective, so with Doctor Who being considered a space fantasy, that effectively puts Stargate back at the top of the list as the world's longest running science fiction series (not just America's). The overall consensus, though, seems to be that more people consider DW a sci-fi than a space fantasy.
    SG-1's episode count was surpassed by Smallville in its final season.

  16. #16
    Chief Master Sergeant Dr. D.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    SG-1's episode count was surpassed by Smallville in its final season.
    Ah yes, Smallville. I, personally, do not consider Smallville to be sci-fi. I set it aside as a separate genre and aptly a part of the superhero genre. While there were sci-fi elements to the show, it was not strictly science fiction, as there were also plenty of fantasy elements (i.e., magic, witches, etc.) as well as a number of other genres. Given the tendency of superhero stories to include a hodgepodge of genres, to say that a superhero story such as the Smallville television series is science fiction is reaching a bit too far. It would also have to be considered the longest running fantasy series, and supernatural series, and so on. It's how I, personally, interpret that show: as being a part of the superhero genre, not the sci-fi genre. So, as far as I'm concerned, Stargate is still the #1 longest running science fiction series. Of course, I respect any differing opinions that anybody else might have, such as if you believe otherwise. That's fine. In which case, it's simply two people disagreeing on what makes it what it is and, at that point, there is nothing else to say on the matter.

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Whipping you, then taking you
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Err, Doctor who?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.

  18. #18
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    Super high-calorie diet. Eggs and meat in the morning, mountains of pasta, platters of potatoes. It never ends. Really quite exhausting.
    Haha!! At worst, biochemical and biophysical analysis of cause unclear, but damn hilarious!!
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

    RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

  19. #19
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invalid: Ten Symbol Address
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Err, Doctor who?
    It first came up when I put forward my belief that Doctor Who (and Star Wars) are Space Fantasy. That was based on my view of Sci-Fi as being about 'what if' scenarios; but Doctor Who and Star Wars being hard to pin down with 'what ifs' means they are something else, namely Space Fantasy.

    Then it got complicated when people tried to 'reclaim Stargate's rightful title', and then Smallville came up...


    Oddly I think Doctor Who could be argued as a Super Hero serial of sorts.




    Also just to clarify one thing, I view the powers displayed by the priors to be directly connected to the pseudo-science of Ancient Astronaut Theorists and therefore still quite solidly within the 'sci-fi range' of Stargate... Doesn't hurt that I find Ancient Astronaut Documentaries hilliarous though and so know a fair bit more than I should about that stuff...
    Last edited by Twilord; August 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. If Naqudah became Earth's main energy source.
    By RJLCyberPunk in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: May 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
  2. Ascended Beings as a source of power?
    By tombombadil in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
  3. Ancient Drone energy and Ori Beam Cannon energy theory
    By Peoples_General in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: November 7th, 2006, 04:49 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: August 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
  5. The Ori are powerful but can they use their ascended powers to see...
    By Giantevilhead in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •