Jackfic.net is closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackfic.net is closing

Just what it says. THe owner says that there's been no fic uploads for over a year and it doesn't get many hits so time to just let it go.

Just notification if anyone has any fic they want to pull off the site
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Thank you for the heads-up!

Any word on when exactly it'll be offline?
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Thank you for the heads-up!

Any word on when exactly it'll be offline?
      There's a note that says it will be closing at the end of the month, so not much time!

Thanks for the heads up on this. It's not an archive I frequent, but any loss to fandom is sad. A part of our history is lost.

Comment

Another one bites the dust.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          Just what it says. THe owner says that there's been no fic uploads for over a year and it doesn't get many hits so time to just let it go.

Just notification if anyone has any fic they want to pull off the site
          How does that affect your emerald city site sky?
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

it's a shame when sites go down.
            sigpic
            The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
              it's a shame when sites go down.
              At least this one is giving people a heads-up, unlike some other archives that suddenly became unreachable...
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                How does that affect your emerald city site sky?
                Mine will go down too until I can find a place to put the fic up. They're all on ff.net so not gone. I may just look into archive of our own since i'm not writing that much anymore and it seems silly to pay a ton for something I barely update.

It just occured to me that it means the sanctuary transcripts will also go down with it and I don't think I can put those on A03. Might just put them on my LJ or something.

I just found out this AM and i'm out of town so I can't do much.

All my site is on my comptuer so the files are good, just need a place to put them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  Mine will go down too until I can find a place to put the fic up. They're all on ff.net so not gone. I may just look into archive of our own since i'm not writing that much anymore and it seems silly to pay a ton for something I barely update.

It just occured to me that it means the sanctuary transcripts will also go down with it and I don't think I can put those on A03. Might just put them on my LJ or something.

I just found out this AM and i'm out of town so I can't do much.

All my site is on my comptuer so the files are good, just need a place to put them.
                  You could always post them on the Sanctuary wikia, right? I mean, a lot of the newer episodes (late season 3 and all of season 4 IIRC) aren't on there but you've transcripted them. Unless of course you don't like that site or how it works. Perhaps you could even post them here on GW, in the Sanctuary forum? Just putting all the transcripts in one place or perhaps add them to the already existing episode threads. If that's allowed of course, but you'd know that better than I do.
                  On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I've kinda avoided the wiki site. Tried to post some stuff there early in its inception and got some not so nice attitude in return (i think a 'yeah, may be wiki but ignore the wiki model of everyone joins in, it's ours and don't you forget it' atttude was there, at least that's how I felt. Got a couple doses of attitude and then just walked away. I always figured if they wanted them they could ask for them. )

I can look into starting a thread here or see if they can be posted or if they are too long to post.

They won't go away, I'll find somewhere. My forays into sanctuary fanfic and fan info have been far from easy and welcome, rather cliqueish and territorial. One reason I've kept my fic and transripts just on my own site. Easier to avoid it than deal with it.

sigpic

Comment

Ah, yes, I thought it might be something like that. What about AT's renewed site? I don't know if there's going to be a forum or if there would be another way to post them there (it's still offline for me), perhaps you could supply them for a Sanctuary section on the site? Kinda like how certain people helped Kate on RDA's lexicon? But I guess that depends on the end result of the new and improved website...
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I can't and won't speak for Julia but my understanding is that it was to be more professional and 'official' and less fan addition of anything. I don't think she even wants fanfic or anything on the site, just largely her content or content approved by amanda. Of course, I could also be wrong

When I get home I can see if they will fit in a post. If so then I can just make a transcripts thread, if not, i'll see what I can come up with. It might be easiest and best to just keep them here rather than scatter them around. I don't own anything of them beyond the time it took to type, which is one reason I don't think I can put them on any fanfic site. They're not my word, they're someone else's.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I wish there were more warning on this at jackfic, as Monday is the end of the month...

(On the other hand, now I really don't feel bad about archiving Flora's work that relates to my Cromwell fic on my own website as well!)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I have an excel document listing over 1000 Stargate SG1 stories and links centered around Jack O'Neill whump and it was suggested I upload this. How do I go about this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ev

Comment

first....Two members of the jackfic list have stepped forward to take over the site. So it may/may not be smoothly transitioned or there may be a bit of a downtime between ownerships. So yay there.

Although, on a personal note, if there is a fic on there you really want....save it to your harddrive. And I'd say this about any site. Websites aren't permanent and can go down in an instant. If you save a copy locally then you'll always have it. The key part of the etiquette is that you never pass on or repost what you save.

Now evMB, I'd suggest starting a thread for your list.

Can you cut and paste? if so, then simply cutting and pasting bits and pieces could be an option. Once you graduate off probie status you should be able to upload an attachment but I'm not sure if the forum takes .exl files.

Also, for your fic, if any of them are rated R or adult then the direct links can't be posted here, just links to the author's page (the site owner doesn't want any direct links to things that could be considered 'adult content'.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X