This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here remember these growing up?

Anyone old enough to remember boom boxes, not the pissy tiny things you get now but proper REAL boom boxes with big speakers, and some of them with detachable speakers.

Anyway yeah howcome they died out and became the pissy things we have now?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 April 2012, 12:40 AM. Reason: hotlinks changed.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Now i know why old people can never hear anything properly.
    sigpic

Comment

wot?
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

eh?
        sigpic

Comment

Portability.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sound quality? battery life.. the ability to carry thousands of songs instead of a few minutes worth of music.. Reduced weight? And you won't look ridiculous carrying an ipod around..

That poor hipster in the pic.. his shoulder must hurt ...And he's probably deaf...

Comment

they needed about 8 HP2 batteries, and they didnt last long, and like they said above tooooooo big, but they were pretty cool back then
              sigpic

Comment

I remember those. Never could understand how a person could hold them next to their ears, though. For portability, I stuck to my Walkman.

Still not as deafening as the idiots who drive around with bass cranked way up on their car stereos so loudly that you can hear it three blocks away through two sets of closed windows, though.

Oh, and if you're going to hang out on my lawn, at least have the decency to mow it, will you? There's $10 in it for you.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

My parents still have one of those in their summer place My dad made some chances to it and now it munches power from a car battery. We have had it as long as I remember so it must be over 20 years old.

Until recently my parents had also... I don't even know what it is called in English, but one of these things

In a way I miss it... It was fun to watch the tape when music played
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 April 2012, 12:41 AM. Reason: hotlinks changed.

Comment

That's a reel-to-reel tape player (and probably recorder, too).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                    sigpic
                    now also appearing on DeviantArt
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Difficult to mug someone with one though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nah. You could clobber them with one good hit!
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Or let them have it and watch them get tired as they run away.

Officer: "So, you were mugged? What did they get?"
                          Me: "My boom box."
                          Officer: "Ok, which way did they go?"
                          Me: "They're passed out at the end of the road. Exhaustion officer."
                          sigpic

Comment

if only they had taken out the batteries they may have made it further
                            sigpic

Comment

All the way to the other road.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X