No announcement yet.

"Exploring the City" Episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they used that whole-city-map they use to find lifesigns and via the database figured out what every room was without going there.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Does no one comment because my comment is correct?
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        Does no one comment because my comment is correct?
        No, they're just not interested probably in the thread.

And no, from that map you can guess what each room is or does but never know for sure.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          Maybe they used that whole-city-map they use to find lifesigns and via the database figured out what every room was without going there.
          Do you have any idea as to how many rooms would be in one tower, let alone the whole city? Even if they were just going over a map, it would still take months to a year, and that's not including locations that would have been left off the map for whatever reason.

Comment

Yeah, but it would only take MONTHS, which is about half a season, which means it was probably done and done off-screen.

Comment

It does make one wonder if there were more jumper bays waiting to be found (like in those outer towers), or other medical rooms/galleys..

Comment

Or maybe a video game arecade or a dollor theater or a shoe shine shop.
                Endless story oppertunitys.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

A shoe shine shop... yes please...
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Who dosen't like a nice shiney shoe?
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Maybe they'll find a mini wormhole drive for a Puddle Jumper(experimental of course).

Comment

think part of the reason there was a reduction in new areas in later seasons was money. Whenever the writers wrote about a new lab, with strange new machines and funky displays, the set designers and builders would have to spend large sums of money making it all real.
                        It was much easier and cheaper to head off into the hills and film on location and utilise the existing sets for the city shots rather than spend out on new expensive sets and effects that would probably only get one use.
                        I don't know, *a lot* of sets doubled or tripled as other parts of the city over the years and they made it work fine. Plus it would probably be cheaper to do "exploring the city" bottle eps than going out on location. And of nothing else, it makes more sense for a city to have similar rooms all over the place and every civilization in two galaxies to be charming renaissance fair village. With the same candle supplier

They really did drop the ball with world building in regard to exploring the city over the years, that was most of the reason they went through the gate in the first place. Ok they needed allies and food but later seasons could definitely have benefitted from more of the city being used. Tabula Rasa when the group rediscovers how effing huge the city is during the amnesia was one of the best moments.

And it would have been nice to see something other than labs when they did. I know it's easiest to make a story out of, but it seems like every other room we do see is a secret lab.

Comment

Originally posted by Calluna View Post
                          I don't know, *a lot* of sets doubled or tripled as other parts of the city over the years and they made it work fine. Plus it would probably be cheaper to do "exploring the city" bottle eps than going out on location. And of nothing else, it makes more sense for a city to have similar rooms all over the place and every civilization in two galaxies to be charming renaissance fair village. With the same candle supplier

They really did drop the ball with world building in regard to exploring the city over the years, that was most of the reason they went through the gate in the first place. Ok they needed allies and food but later seasons could definitely have benefitted from more of the city being used. Tabula Rasa when the group rediscovers how effing huge the city is during the amnesia was one of the best moments.

And it would have been nice to see something other than labs when they did. I know it's easiest to make a story out of, but it seems like every other room we do see is a secret lab.
                          Sunday would have been a great episode to reveal an Ancient version of a rec. room.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

A - I think the Ancient version of a rec room was probably used as the mess hall.
                            B - McKay specifically said that Atlantis is filled with VERY much labs.

Comment

Originally posted by Calluna View Post
                              They did seem to have a lot of secrets.....

Comment

The lack of city-exploring episodes was definitely a shame! The location was what made SGA more than just another version of SG-1 encountering new villains. If they had actually focused on the city more, the complaint about it copying SG-1 would perhaps not have excised at all. The concept was very different but I guess they fell back on the already familiar formula.

I really loved Rising because the sense of really being in somewhere utterly alien and incredibly was really convincing there. It was a shame that didn't really last in the later episodes. Of course it would have gotten a little more familiar, but...yeah. The city was huge. It deserved some more attention.

One of the things I found really funny though were the 10 000 year old dead plants they encountered when they first came through the gate. That was just so...stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X