Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: "Exploring the City" Episodes

Lieutenant Colonel

Default "Exploring the City" Episodes

Is it me, or did the writers drop the ball on exploring the city? The last Atlantis-based exploration episode I can think of is "Submerged" from late Season 3. There was Janus's secret lab in "First Contact," but that was mostly setting up a larger story. Most of the fourth and fifth season action was off world. Sure, we still saw plenty of the city, but it seemed to me like the exploration-based stories dropped off the map along with Dr. Weir. Does anyone else here feel the same way? I'm still miffed that they wrote her out. She gave the show this grand sense of wonder. During Carter and Woolsey's time, it felt less like the lost city and more like a base of operations. It was so much more than that!

At least in the series finale, the city had one last glorious moment.
    Spoiler:
    It was when Sheppard was about to detonate the nuke after having nothing profound to say before he and his team died. Carter radios in, there's another ship... it's Atlantis! That shot of the city passing from behind the hive with those awesome vocals. That was just a beautiful scene with very dramatic music. It was like a final reminder to what this city is and what it's capable of.

Default Re: "Exploring the City" Episodes

I think part of the reason there was a reduction in new areas in later seasons was money. Whenever the writers wrote about a new lab, with strange new machines and funky displays, the set designers and builders would have to spend large sums of money making it all real.
    It was much easier and cheaper to head off into the hills and film on location and utilise the existing sets for the city shots rather than spend out on new expensive sets and effects that would probably only get one use.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Lieutenant Colonel

I don't buy that. Would it have really killed the budget to do one or two "exploring the city" episodes in the fourth and fifth seasons?

Maybe they already figured out everything else in the city and there was nothing more to explore? As for base of operations, I agree. They rarely built more Atlantis sets after Season 3. And I don't like that some of the "every day" sets (like the corridor Teyla used to hide from Michael) never appeared in Weir's "era".

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Budgetary reasons probably. But it's funny how many of the same people who complain of the lack of exploration of Atlantis also lament the lack of gate travel (planet exploration) in SGU.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    Maybe they already figured out everything else in the city and there was nothing more to explore?
    Do you have any idea just how big the city is? They could occupy it for ten years and still have plenty to discover. Granted, with the city on Earth, that will accelerate as it would be easy to increase the man power for exploration, but we're talking prior to the finale.

As for base of operations, I agree. They rarely built more Atlantis sets after Season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Budgetary reasons probably.
    That didn't stop them from spending lots of money to do space ship based episodes.

Maybe they already figured out everything else in the city and there was nothing more to explore? As for base of operations, I agree. They rarely built more Atlantis sets after Season 3. And I don't like that some of the "every day" sets (like the corridor Teyla used to hide from Michael) never appeared in Weir's "era".
    Unlikely, since Atlantis is supposedly as big as Manhattan. Even in the 5th year, it's unlikely the entire city had been explored.

Budgetary reasons or not, I would like to have seen more of the city, since there were likely some very interesting bits of it we didn't get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Unlikely, since Atlantis is supposedly as big as Manhattan. Even in the 5th year, it's unlikely the entire city had been explored.

Budgetary reasons or not, I would like to have seen more of the city, since there were likely some very interesting bits of it we didn't get to see.
    Exactly!!!!

If I remember right, Dr. Weir said something about only having explored about a of third of the city by the SG-1 episode, Pegasus Project. I think she also said something about not really understanding a lot of what they had found. The writers really dropped the ball on this, IMHO.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Brigadier General

Agreed.. I would have loved at least 2 eps a season after S2 devoted to just exploring the city..

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Agreed.. I would have loved at least 2 eps a season after S2 devoted to just exploring the city..
    I would have liked that. I'm sure they could have come up with something better than finding a machine that caused exploding tumors if they had tried.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Or that worldbuilding game that was no game, even if the ep was okay...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Brigadier General

I actually liked the game...

I think the last ep that had a new Atlantis set was the one where Daniel finds that secret lab.

Seasons 4 and 5 grew kinda... repetitive. Except some awesome eps like Doppelganger.

And whose idea was to blow up the Stargate and have a new one next ep with no problems at all?

More exploration of the city would have been great but obviously TPTW didn't think it was necessary at all.

A lot of the city sets were re-used for different locations, a corridor which is then turned into a room, or vice versa. Seen it happen more than once. And they had an entire collection of props that could be rebuild to suit a different purpose. They did it with the device that could capture the ascended being. It used to be something else in SG1, to make 4th dimension bugs visible or something.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

I'm another one of those people who would have loved to have seen them explore more of the city, I mean it's such an incredible place, I mean McKay even says that exploring every room in the city would be like exploring every room in Manhattan, that place is huge. One thing that I think would be interesting to see more of is the fact that it is a city so there has got to be more public places where the ancient could go to just relax etc. things that aloud the ancient to just be humans for a while, but also things that could give the people of today more of an insight into the ancients lives.

I have to admit that while I do loved the flying scenes I was a bit surprised that they actually had the guts to do it considering that they knew that there were machines that creates exploding tumors, I mean, who knew what else the city hides.

Maybe they used that whole-city-map they use to find lifesigns and via the database figured out what every room was without going there.

Does no one comment because my comment is correct?

Does no one comment because my comment is correct?
    No, they're just not interested probably in the thread.

And no, from that map you can guess what each room is or does but never know for sure.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Lieutenant Colonel

Maybe they used that whole-city-map they use to find lifesigns and via the database figured out what every room was without going there.
    Do you have any idea as to how many rooms would be in one tower, let alone the whole city? Even if they were just going over a map, it would still take months to a year, and that's not including locations that would have been left off the map for whatever reason.

Yeah, but it would only take MONTHS, which is about half a season, which means it was probably done and done off-screen.