No announcement yet.

A Man Without Honor (207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I caught on to using Arya as a food tester pretty quickly. We were watching it and I said "Oh that son of a..."

And my watching companions were confused, so I explained it to them.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
      I rewatched this today and had a couple of interesting thoughts.

Firstly when Tywin has Arya eat his food, he's actually using her as an impromptu food tester. Believing that there was a recent assassination attempt on him, he's seeing whether Arya was involved, she could poison his food, so he made her eat it to see if she was involved.
      Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
      I caught on to using Arya as a food tester pretty quickly. We were watching it and I said "Oh that son of a..."

And my watching companions were confused, so I explained it to them.
      Excellent points. I had almost forgotten that cupbearers have historically functioned as food tasters.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised he didn't use someone else...I mean, a cup bearer isn't exactly a loss to anyone, but Tywin seems to genuinely enjoy conversing with Arya. Surely her loss would mean a bit more to him than another lackey. Tywin doesn't exactly hold back when basically saying that she is more intelligent than some of his officers...

Unless of course I'm seeing too much in the relationship between the two. An officer is more important to the war effort, of course, and perhaps not the best tool to use for a food tester, but from seeing Tywin's exchanges with Arya, he seems to be a bit more compassionate than when the audience first "meets" Tywin.
        Last edited by Gen. Chris; 18 May 2012, 08:16 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I dunno, i'm thinking less fond and more intrigued. She's a high born girl pretending to be a low born boy. why? who is she? whose family does she belong to? is she valuable?

I never got the impression from the book that he had any suspicion that she was Arya, but he knows she's someone. ANd that someone might end up being valuable.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I dunno, i'm thinking less fond and more intrigued. She's a high born girl pretending to be a low born boy. why? who is she? whose family does she belong to? is she valuable?

I never got the impression from the book that he had any suspicion that she was Arya, but he knows she's someone. ANd that someone might end up being valuable.
            Perhaps.

And why would he know? From what I have gathered he has only ever met Ned. The only way he could think she was a Stark is if he thought she looked like Ned or Catelyn (which, by the way, I think they casted her excellently. Arya and Catelyn definitely pass for daughter and mother, in my opinion). Though, wasn't Arya described as looking more like her father in the first book?
            sigpic

Comment

He could be putting two and two together....yes, the Lannisters claim they have Arya, yet no one has seen her. A high born girl is missing in King's landing, and here's a high born girl pretending to be a boy, and perhaps she's a girl with a northern accent (can't recall if there was ever a mention of different dialects/accents between areas, teh only real thing I recall is the bastards of each area having their own last name, Snow, River, etc)

He likely doesn't know and has no way to know, but he does know that she's a high born pretending to be something she isn't. ANd perhaps the mystery intrigues him. a young girl smart enough to disguise who she is when he's surrounded by a bunch of men he himself deem stupid. He possibly has them all pegged, he can read them and their actions and little they do surprise him, but here's this young thing with her secrets.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X