• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave New World, Part 2 (422)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON FOUR
    BRAVE NEW WORLD,
    PART 2

EPISODE NUMBER - 422

The team searches for Walter, who now stands with William Bell on the cusp of the birth of a brand new universe. The Observer September returns, and a former patient turns out to be more than she appears.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 21 May 2015, 10:43 PM.

one word sums it up: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

I can't think of anything else to say atm...

Comment

I should have never watched that stupid Future Episode. Thats the reason why I called it a pure spoiler. It took away alot from the Twists in this Episode and the ending was very predictable too. Thats not really something I am used to from Fringe.
      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Excellent episode. If this was the series finale...I would've been ok with it. THANKFULLY...it wasn't! I didn't expect Olivia to do the big reveal at the end...however...I thought it would be coming. Also, the Observer's reveal was ominous.

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
        I should have never watched that stupid Future Episode. Thats the reason why I called it a pure spoiler. It took away alot from the Twists in this Episode and the ending was very predictable too. Thats not really something I am used to from Fringe.
        Hmmm...just wait...I'm sure the writers will twist what you think you know in some way...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Excellent episode. If this was the series finale...I would've been ok with it. THANKFULLY...it wasn't! I didn't expect Olivia to do the big reveal at the end...however...I thought it would be coming. Also, the Observer's reveal was ominous.

Hmmm...just wait...I'm sure the writers will twist what you think you know in some way...
          The only real surprise at this point was that the observers can be trapped like the Demons in Supernatural.

Though the Timeline gives me a bit of a Headache. September got shot now, went to the Future, visited Olivia still shot in the Theater and then dissapears in Walters Lab and reappears thanks to Peter. So were we looking at the September Peter saved in that last scene? More or less the most up to date version?

In any case, his message means the Future changed. They should have had 2 more Years, but September did not anticipate to get caught and now the Fringe division got a Vital piece of information that could save them from the Observers. Thats probably why they come now, so you are right, from here on out the Future prediction doesnt count anymore, but it still spoiled the season finale for me and I am a bit angry about that.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

I was afraid that Olivia was going to say "Who are you" at the end.

I am very Okay with this episode.
            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

The only real surprise at this point was that the observers can be trapped like the Demons in Supernatural.
              I thought this too, and found it quite funny.

Comment

Though the Timeline gives me a bit of a Headache. September got shot now, went to the Future, visited Olivia still shot in the Theater and then dissapears in Walters Lab and reappears thanks to Peter. So were we looking at the September Peter saved in that last scene? More or less the most up to date version?

In any case, his message means the Future changed. They should have had 2 more Years, but September did not anticipate to get caught and now the Fringe division got a Vital piece of information that could save them from the Observers. Thats probably why they come now, so you are right, from here on out the Future prediction doesnt count anymore, but it still spoiled the season finale for me and I am a bit angry about that.
                My guess is William Bell is working with The Observers. How else would Bell know how to trap September ? Even September was surprised that he knew about the technology. So obviously the other The Observers told Bell what to do & gave him the means to do it

Comment

I don't think there's any obviously about it; Bell is a genius and always has been. There's no reason why he couldn't have devised it on his own.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    I don't think there's any obviously about it; Bell is a genius and always has been. There's no reason why he couldn't have devised it on his own.
                    So how did he know to get September to show up ? There is more going on with Bell then just him being a genius

Comment

I didn't say I had the answers. I just don't think you do, either
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                        I was afraid that Olivia was going to say "Who are you" at the end.

I am very Okay with this episode.
                        haha yeh thats what I thought

but a great episode, typical Fringe as well when Walter had to do his bit of improvised surgery haha

some aspects could be realised a bit before they happened, I knew Walter was going to shoot Olivia when they said about her being the power source, but knew from last week that she could survive it anyway (the Lemon cake)

shaped up nicely in the end though, next season should be a great way to tie everything off (the observers etc) can't wait

Bell does intrigue me though, Nemoy has said he would come back to play him (since he likes playing a villain) so will be interesting to see if he turns up again; no doubt he will

as for the future episode, Im thinking there will of course be a part two in season 5, but that it will play into defeating the observers through all time somehow (so the future events wouldn't happen), dam september and his headache causing paradox

Comment

It was a good episode, but I was honestly expecting something more from a Fringe season finale...

DRJ's death in the penultimate episode just seemed underwhelming. Here is this Machiavellian-style villain, brought back from Season 1, with a nice twist that his plan actually came to fruition, and he dies in a fist-fight, only to be replaced by William Bell. I would have actually preferred Bell not to make an appearance (as much as Leonard Nemoy is amazing), just so DRJ isn't suddenly uncut and disposed of just to show how evil and brilliant Bell is at the last moment. It just seemed to me that they could have hinted that Bell was behind it beforehand, and had more of a lead-up that his last second introduction, but I assume that the writers couldn't bank on Nemoy agreeing to be in the last two episodes, so played it safe and could have DRJ as the BBG if that fell through.

I think the thing that really bugs me is the new timeline. Sure, Peter is the same Peter, and Olivia managed to bleed through to this timeline, but the fact that neither of them discuss how different it is (Olivia's sister having two children now, and being happily married), and how the past 3 seasons of development Walter, Astrid, etc have had are just swept under the rug. As much as Walter is essentially the same Walter in character now, the lack of memories and experiences just make him that much different, which I feel is a shame. Nimoy's appearance should have also raised some questions by Peter and Olivia, as he had died and wasn't evil in their timeline, although I guess Peter and Olivia commenting on how different the new timeline is each episode would have become old, fast.

The resolution to the two Universes also seemed lackluster, just closing them off at the end, never to be seen again, along with Lincoln. For a build up to a Season Finale (and eventual Series Finale), it just seemed to drop flat. 3 seasons worth of "Us vs Them" and it's resolved by simply turning off the machine that connects them? I feel like Season 4 is practically a new show (and, I assume Fringe's writers decided to scrap the three seasons worth of back story so new viewers wouldn't be so lost, I believe I read somewhere?).

I think the addition of the 2036 Episode underwhelmed things, though it was my favorite episode of the season. As there was no direct time-travel, there was no opportunity for anything to change, and they wouldn't have just shown an arbitrary future that wouldn't come to pass, so ultimately, Bell's plan was known to fail from the beginning, from the viewer's perspective.

Rebecca Mader's character just seemed shoehorned in, maybe because I recognise her from Lost, but saying that, Henry Ian Cusick worked, so I'm not sure. It just seems that she wasn't needed. DRJ could have survived and emotionally charged Olivia, maybe to die that way, and be placed in the machine? As creepy as Mader's scene in the chair was, especially with her eyes, maybe DRJ would have been even creepier.

Nina Sharp also seems like the writers aren't sure what to do with her, and decided to write her in as a mother-figure to Olivia in Season 4 to give her a place and some development, much like her kiss with Broyles, that never went anywhere. Her scenes with Walter are great though, it's a shame she wasn't in the room at the end with Bell, Walter, Olivia & Peter. Reuniting the three of them should have yielded some development.

That said, I did love the parallel between our Walter shooting Olivia in the head (great aim) and Alt!Walter shooting Olivia in the head in the Future episode of last season. And the Holding Runes seemed interesting, even if I can't think of any pseudoscience behind them (maybe nanites?). Hopefully they'll make an appearance in Seaosn 5, with all the Observers going to be about.

The Soul Bell's reappearance was also an interesting touch, although I assumed it worked by bringing back a person's consciousness to someone exposed to Soul Magnets, so not entirely sure how it was functioning in this episode. Maybe Bell died, and came back as some solid ghost? Maybe it absorbed him at the end, and someone needs to ring it to return him? Possibly to Olivia's conscious?

September being shot was a nice resolution too. Obviously predictable, as we knew it was coming, but it's great when writers have the forethought to include something like on a season-wide basis. His display of superhuman abilities again was fantastic too. Hopefully he'll make more appearances in Season 5, although it seemed to imply he had died or been removed by 2036 came along.

The mystery of Olivia's killer seen in 3x19 is still up for answering, hopefully in Season 5. He does look slightly like Walter, although younger and wearing an unusual t-shirt. Maybe he'll make an appearance. Mystery Killer

Over-all, I liked Season 4. It was an interesting premise, but the plot lines seemed to fall apart at the end, and replacing the Blue Universe with a Brown/Amber one, besides the murky colour, wasn't a favourable decision in my opinion. Looking forward to Season 5 however, hopefully they can give us an amazing 13 episodes, and an extraordinary series finale!

Edit: Apparently the Mystery Killer with the X-shirt is supposed to be Walter, and the X on his shirt is in reference to the X on the nanites that Bell created, as Bell forced Walter to kill Olivia, according to the writers. Now that's just lame.
                          Last edited by The Prophet; 12 May 2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                            Edit: Apparently the Mystery Killer with the X-shirt is supposed to be Walter, and the X on his shirt is in reference to the X on the nanites that Bell created, as Bell forced Walter to kill Olivia, according to the writers. Now that's just lame.
                            Proof, please.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Proof, please.
                              Originally posted by J.H. Wyman, from TVguide.com
                              Wyman: Basically, when Walter was going through the Nanites. From that episode when she was in William's head, she said, "I know that's the man who's going to kill me." She had a feeling that when she was in William Bell's head, that there was a man and it manifested itself as a character in William Bell's head in the comic that they're experiencing and it had that emblem on it.

Then, ultimately, in this episode, you saw in the in the Nanites they had the emblem on it. When Walter recognized that that was William Bell's creation by that mark, because that was the mark that William used to mark things with. So really, in a sense, it was William Bell who killed Olivia. You could argue, saying when she came out of William Bell's head, she said, "That's the man who's going to kill me," it was actually William Bell.
                              TV Guide =)

Apparently it's William Bell, not Walter, my mistake. Still quite contrived though.

Comment

Working...
                              X