Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would a person really react if they found out about the stargate program?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerned over the fact that the US possesses the technology to travel to other planets, have gained technological advancements ahead of every other nation etc.

Although personally I would find it cool and would try and find a way to get to and go through the gate.

Comment

Depends how it was announced and where the source of information was. Any non-official source I think would be likely to be met by denial (particularly if announced on April 1st)

If an officially sanctioned release I could see mass panic in some populations, particularly when this conflicts with their well-established belief systems and ideology.

Personally I'd be thrilled provided we were not at war with any other species.

Comment

I would imagine the religious people would start demanding it be destroyed as it is a front to their god/gods. Probably a few terrorist attacks on the mountain or the US.

People would be outraged that specific technology could have been used to save their husband/wife/child and would call for the entire program to be restaffed. There would be people who would demand the right to use the gate, probably being captured and killed by others out there. Groups and corporations would want their own planet to gather resources and trade with the galaxy.

I would of course study harder than ever as archaeologists are needed out in the galaxy.

Comment

Honestly, mostly denial and straight up hostility especially from the overly religious.

I for one would be one of those "I will believe it when I see it"
          Hi There!

Comment

I really don't buy the mass hysteria theory. I mean, how would that even manifest itself? What, so people would see the revelation on the news an immediately take to the streets? I really don't see that happening.

Comment

I think it has more to do with protesting and all of that. We have seen how bad protests can get.
              Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                I really don't buy the mass hysteria theory. I mean, how would that even manifest itself? What, so people would see the revelation on the news an immediately take to the streets? I really don't see that happening.
                Agreed, especially in peace time.

It's not like people don't already know we're studying space and that other solar systems and planets are out there.
                Going by the numbers alone it's obvious to most people that life has to exist out there in the universe.
                Even amongst religous people the fanatical, kill everything that's different from you attitude is only present in a small few.

If it can be physically proven to people then you can't deny it and denying doesn't make it go away.

Different religous people don't deny that different species and nationalities exist.
                They don't deny that a rocket can send a person into space.
                The majority of religous people don't deny that technology exists, hell even the amish don't do that, they just don't use it unless on Rumspringa.

Your average modern person probably wouldn't let the news effect their daily life, until advanced technologies filter into the world.
                Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 25 April 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  Going by the numbers alone it's obvious to most people that life has to exist out there in the universe.
                  when ever I hear calculations and arguments in favour of that they all seem to be based on the assumption that life is inevitable given earth like conditions. I don't understand what the basis for that assumption is when surly all the evidence shows is that life is merely possible given earth like conditions,...... I mean for all we know maybe only 1 in 99999999999 planets like earth ever develop life
                  Last edited by slimjim; 25 April 2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                    when ever I hear calculations and arguments in favour of that they all seem to be based on the assumption that life is inevitable given earth like conditions. I don't understand what the basis for that assumption is when surly all the evidence shows is that life is merely possible given earth like conditions,...... I mean for all we know maybe only 1 in 99999999999 planets like earth ever develop life
                    Hasn't it been proven that the right temperature and presence of liquid water will allow for microbial life to form?
                    Even if 1 in 99999999999 planets have life similar to our's on them that still leaves potentially billions of galaxies out there that can each have a planet like Earth on them, depending on how old those galaxies are.

We have discovered planets orbiting in the habitibal zone of other Sol like Stars, of course if and when we get out there nothings for certain, but we can make educated guesses.

We don't have to just assume that our conditions are the only ones that will allow for life of some kind, there could be a whole bunch of different conditions that can allow for different types of life to form.

I know it's all hypothical at the moment, but we'd have to be pretty arrogant or ignorant to not entertain the possibility that we're not and IMO it's that possibility, because of the vastness of the universe that there will be a number of different species out there, that communicates and likely has technology far more advanced than our's.

I have to say, this is just my point of view, I know it's not fact, but I know there are people that share my views and that open mindedness means I wouldn't be one of the few that would go crazy if the news was broken of some other species, technologies or knowledge existing that is foreign to this planet.

Comment

Hasn't it been proven that the right temperature and presence of liquid water will allow for microbial life to form?
                      no, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been proven that life can spontaneously generate in water

Comment

no, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been proven that life can spontaneously generate in water
                        How did you get to "spontaneously generate in water" from what I wrote?
                        I said with the right temperature and if liquid water's there it will allow for microbial life to form.

I didn't say other things weren't needed, but if the building blocks of life are here then why should Earth be so special as to be the only place in the universe to have those ingredients and if life started here through some random convergence of events then why can't the same things happen elsewher, basically because of the vaste number of stars, planets and solar systems probability dictates that it should happen elsewhere.

Unless of course there's a god or gods that wished us into existence, but having the universe out there seems like a waste of space for just one semi-intelligent species to form.

Comment

How did you get to "spontaneously generate in water" from what I wrote?
                          I didn't say other things weren't needed,
                          because you didn't mention any thing else, you just said water
                          if the building blocks of life are here then why should Earth be so special as to be the only place in the universe to have those ingredients and if life started here through some random convergence of events then why can't the same things happen elsewher, basically because of the vaste number of stars, planets and solar systems probability dictates that it should happen elsewhere.
                          it might not happen else where because the odds of life forming naturally might be higher then number of earth like planets in this universe.....or not, that's my point WE DON'T KNOW THE ODDS. It's note reasonable to make predictions based on a sampling of one

Comment

because you didn't mention any thing else, you just said water
                            We're talking about planets, not just water contained in a vacume with only heat to somehow stimulate.
                            Even on a simingly dead hunk of rock you have minerals, different kinds of minerals.
                            I didn't think it was necessary to elaborate in major detail to get the point accross that any water will mix with stuff from the environment it's in.

it might not happen else where because the odds of life forming naturally might be higher then number of earth like planets in this universe.....or not, that's my point
                            What you've written here sounds like you're stating there's a better chance of life happening somewhere else, from how it reads at least.
                            Obviously that's not in the context of what you've been arguing elsewhere in this thread.

Basically what I'm saying is if the building blocks are there, the same raw materials and conditions then there's no reason why life shouldn't form.

WE DON'T KNOW THE ODDS. It's note reasonable to make predictions based on a sampling of one
                            We've found life in microbe form in almost every kind of environment on Earth, we have wild temperature differences, yet there's life.
                            We can say by studying the variety of conditions on Earth what conditions we know to allow for life.

The variety of places life connected to our evolution can form in allows us to work out certain perameters that life can exist within, then it's a matter of like I've been saying the building blocks and various conditions, you can use all of those things to work out upper and lower limits.

I'm not arguing that a lack of minerals needed and the presence of water, heat and light will allow for life, but that in combination and sitting inside that upper and lower limit life has been proven to form, match those conditions and I see no reason life shouldn't form, the other stuff like intelligence and tech development are of course a different thing, but it's not like what I've mentioned here hasn't been put on the news, in papers, books and on the internet.
                            People have been made aware of this stuff and I doubt it would come as a massive shock that life is possible on other planets.

Comment

The chaos and mayhem in mass protest probably wouldn't manifest right away. But if the Stargate Program as it exists in the series is revealed to us in today's society, then it would cause numerous countries to distrust the US. Even the countries who are part of the IOA would face unrest in their own nations.

Each country would have to justify the spending of millions of dollars to fund the SGC operations without having told the public where their tax dollars are going, and of course there are always those individuals who would resent the funding of such an undertaking when there are so many problems here on Earth that need fixing. Some might ask "why push out into the galaxy when we have genocide and mass starvation happening in our own backyard?"

Citizens would be distrustful of their governments, and the minute that happens on a massive scale like this would be, the protests and "mass hysteria". Humans often fear what they don't understand, and in times of fear their flight or fight mode kicks in. With a mob mentality, it's often the "fight" that prevails.

But that's just from my point of view. I'd like to think we're above all that, but in all honesty, we're hardly so academic to appreciate the SGC for what it is: an incredible step into the future for all mankind.

Comment

We're talking about planets, not just water contained in a vacume with only heat to somehow stimulate.
                                Even on a simingly dead hunk of rock you have minerals, different kinds of minerals.
                                I didn't think it was necessary to elaborate in major detail to get the point accross that any water will mix with stuff from the environment it's in.

What you've written here sounds like you're stating there's a better chance of life happening somewhere else, from how it reads at least.
                                Obviously that's not in the context of what you've been arguing elsewhere in this thread.
                                well I was trying to say the opposite

Basically what I'm saying is if the building blocks are there, the same raw materials and conditions then there's no reason why life shouldn't form.
                                there's no reason to think it should

We've found life in microbe form in almost every kind of environment on Earth, we have wild temperature differences, yet there's life.
                                We can say by studying the variety of conditions on Earth what conditions we know to allow for life.

The variety of places life connected to our evolution can form in allows us to work out certain perameters that life can exist within, then it's a matter of like I've been saying the building blocks and various conditions, you can use all of those things to work out upper and lower limits.
                                earth is still only one sampling because all the life in our different habitats are related

Comment

Working...
                                X