Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would a person really react if they found out about the stargate program?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
    well I was trying to say the opposite
    That's why I said I understood what you were getting from reading the rest of that and your other posts

there's no reason to think it should
    Life's formed in a multitude of different conditions here, there's no reason to think it shouldn't form elsewhere and frankly it's arrogant to do so when it comes down to certain elements and events coming together, a bunch of basic processes and stages make life happen.

earth is still only one sampling because all the life in our different habitats are related
    The Earth is a planetary body with minerals, an atmosphere, water, that's bombarded by the Sun's rays.
    Unless there's something special about our planet there's no reason to believe life won't form on a similar planetary body.

Basically unless this planet was intelligently designed by beings more advanced than us the numbers make it impossible that life hasn't formed elsewhere in this universe or others if multiverse theory is right.
    Either way some other kind of life has to exist.

Comment

when Carter was considering telling Pete Shanahan about the stargate program and it's exploits she said something to the effect of
      "you justify it to your self by telling your self they couldn't handle it....but the thing is I think he could"
      what does she mean by "couldn't handle it"? what do they think would happen to a normal person if they found out about the SGC?
      Flip out.. Notice how many of the tv shows/films that HAVE shown aliens to us humans had mass riots and panic.. That's cause they couldn't handle it.

Watch Season 10, "The Road Not Taken" to find out one possible scenario. It was also stated that on a few other planets, the public finding out about their stargate lead to the destruction of the world - by its inhabitants. Too many sides being taken that led to war and armageddon.
      Yup, take a look at Tegalus.. Brought to the bring of annihilation cause of the revealing of the SG existence..

Actually, asking folks *here* is not a very good cross-section of the population. Folks here tend to be open to new ideas and are eager to explore - the universe if possible, their own existence at the very least. Not so with the general population. A great many people are closed-minded, with a center-of-the-universe attitude. Many others are so wrapped up in their day-to-day world, that it would make little, if any, difference whatsoever. Face it, if the mass of the general public were truly *interested* in what's out there, NASA's funding would never be cut, and exploration would be a priority rather than constantly expanding the defense budget.
      Yup. Take a look at how many religions we have, that are all about themselves and not really open to the ideas of others.. Multiply that world wide, and you have a big chunk of the population who would not just be hesitant about the info released we are truely not the center of the universe, but that we are insignificant.

I don't think mass panic would be an issue, unless aliens are baring down on the planet and they are capable of making every species on the planet exitinct when a reveal happens.
      Look at the ep, "The road not taken". YES it came about cause of the Ori, but they did have mass panic. Also Icon, and that ep where Te'alc got almost blinded.

People would be outraged that specific technology could have been used to save their husband/wife/child and would call for the entire program to be restaffed. There would be people who would demand the right to use the gate, probably being captured and killed by others out there. Groups and corporations would want their own planet to gather resources and trade with the galaxy.
      Oh most definitely. Heck i could even see a new business forming.. Lawyers taking on lawsuits from those who want to sue the SGC for NOT releasing that tech that could have saved their loved one (such as tretonin helping those with say HIV, or better armor for cops, or stunners for people gunned down by cops accidently)..

Each country would have to justify the spending of millions of dollars to fund the SGC operations without having told the public where their tax dollars are going, and of course there are always those individuals who would resent the funding of such an undertaking when there are so many problems here on Earth that need fixing. Some might ask "why push out into the galaxy when we have genocide and mass starvation happening in our own backyard?"
      Good point Selene.. We would get lots of cries of "Why save other planets when we can't even stop the sudan (or other africian nation) enslaving/killing their own people"..

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        That's why I said I understood what you were getting from reading the rest of that and your other posts
        thanks

Life's formed in a multitude of different conditions here, there's no reason to think it shouldn't form elsewhere and frankly it's arrogant to do so when it comes down to certain elements and events coming together, a bunch of basic processes and stages make life happen.
        no life has speared to "multitude of different conditions here"
        "a bunch of basic processes and stages make life happen" which are?

The Earth is a planetary body with minerals, an atmosphere, water, that's bombarded by the Sun's rays.
        Unless there's something special about our planet there's no reason to believe life won't form on a similar planetary body
        we have no reason to think the earth isn't "special"

Basically unless this planet was intelligently designed by beings more advanced than us the numbers make it impossible that life hasn't formed elsewhere in this universe or others if multiverse theory is right.
        Either way some other kind of life has to exist.
        Oh I'm confident there are other planets with life else where in the multiverse.... but then I'm also confident Tutankhamun is having sex with Adolf Hitler right now else where in the multiverse

Comment

I would be quite thrilled to live in the Stargate universe. I am not known for panic.
          sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

thanks
            No problem.

no life has speared to "multitude of different conditions here"
            The Earth is a biosphere with a variety of different environments, contained within this sphere.
            There isn't just one part of the planet where life exists, it exists in the coldest and hottest places on the planet.

"a bunch of basic processes and stages make life happen" which are?
            There's no one consesus on exactly how all of the basic molecules formed, there are a variety of processess shown in this link, it will lead to information on Abiogenisis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

The Miller-Urey Experiment showed that when you combine water, hydrogen, methane and ammonia (all present on the Earth billions of years ago) that an electrical spark would yield between 11 to 20 of the ammino acids required for forming basic molecules.

I'll quote the wikipedia link:
            There is abundant evidence of major volcanic eruptions 4 billion years ago, which would have released carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere.

Experiments using these gases in addition to the ones in the original Miller–Urey experiment have produced more diverse molecules.[8]
            Essentially Volcanoes released important chemicals into the atmosphere, lightning started off chain reactions that went on to form basic molecules fundementally important to forming more complex forms of life, which when combined with other basic elements then went on to evolve into other forms of life, billions of years from the start we have a massive variety of lifeforms that we know of today.

we have no reason to think the earth isn't "special"
            The Earth is only special because of it's distance from Sol, it's atmosphere and that it has an abundance of ingrediants like water and other chemicals needed for the chemical reactions that are responsible for creating the basic lifeforms that then went on to combine and evolve into more complex lifeforms over billions of years.

Oh I'm confident there are other planets with life else where in the multiverse.... but then I'm also confident Tutankhamun is having sex with Adolf Hitler right now else where in the multiverse
            Lol anything's possible in the multiverse I guess, but life forming on many other planets and intelligence coming out of that in droves is far more likely given how life is believed to have begun on Earth.
            We can't test multiverse theory though.
            Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 28 April 2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I think hedwig has it right, any number of scenarios could and likely would play out. I think as long as our planet's divided the way it is and there's opposing ideals then a Stargate would only be a source of contention and not appreciated for what it is.

Comment

Working...
              X