Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A kickstarter-like project for SGU needs backing of many cast,crew, producers of the show and finally the blessing of MGM. If Brad Wright, Ming-Na, Robert Carlyle, et al backed a re-start of production, and MGM okays it on legal terms (i.e. fans give up creative decision rights, ownership and profit rights), then I think it's possible. I could be missing an important detail, but this logic seems good to me.

Also, I really like the idea of a book series, with Brad & Robert's input, that would conclude the series. This is much easier and cheaper than a 3rd season. Perhaps Brad would be willing to write it, or co-write a series now that he's on hiatus. Any chance we could ask him? - Dean

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      They wanted it to be about exploration into the human condition, not planets-of-the-week. In that they certainly succeeded in my view.
      But were any of those characters even human enough to have a human condition?; compared to Lost, these people seem like soap opera actors in space.

They promised a character-drama that would explore the true alien, the true unknown but in my eyes it seems like they fell for generic sci-fi tropes and neglected to write about the characters. Out of all of the characters, only three are truly memorable/good; "Young", "Rush", and "Eli". you can't have a character drama if all of the characters aren't memorable or truly impact the story. Plus there was something to be had with the true alien and the great unknown, I mean what is out there beyond Atlantis, is there life, are there certain things we could learn, are their worlds unlike our own and what is the true alien really, is it something we see in sci-fi series or is it something that could exist in another unheard of form?

That combined with the characters could of created something that was both amazing and lived up to the Stargate name but instead they had to try their hands at trying to create drama, overusing the communication stones, constantly putting the characters in dangerous situations that are seemingly designed for an episode, using sex and a conflict in order to give the series edge (Young's sex plot is terrible TV) and ultimately, making the worlds and the aliens themselves generic. If they wanted to create a show that was truly amazing then they would of taken more risks and actually come up with something that doesn't require you to invest your time waiting for the point when it actually becomes good.

I can understand why you'd want to bring back something, you love it, you want to see that same type of feeling on the screen so that you and others can enjoy it but at the end of the day it's just not worth it. I've wanted to bring back something for a long time but after a while I just gave up on it because there was nothing you could do to save it, even if you came up with a brilliant idea, the hammer of reality smacks you in the face with stuff that makes those ideas unfeisable, it's just too much work to save something that's difficult to bring back. Sure, Arrested Development and Family Guy was brought back but those series were super popular, SG:U is a show that failed to grab an audience due to it's flaws and as such only appears to a niche audience who's appeal is a mystery to me.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

You may have only seen value in a few characters in the show , but I suspect your basic bias prevented you from looking deeper. Unfortunately that is your choice and your loss. SO stop pushing your bias on others. You didn't like the show, ah well deal with it.

With regards the costing estimates for the show. Interesting certainly. I heard that the CGI was expensive, but since that is driven by the tech , in a matter of a few years it could become much cheaper making a future version more doable....but then you have the age of the actors who maynot want to revist such an old project.

Might be worth looking at alternative time-line where old actors can help leap the plot into a new direction. Or allow them to all to be allot older and still continue the plot.
        SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
          You may have only seen value in a few characters in the show , but I suspect your basic bias prevented you from looking deeper. Unfortunately that is your choice and your loss. SO stop pushing your bias on others. You didn't like the show, ah well deal with it.
          What bias?; I did give the series a chance and It's not like I gave every episode a bad review. Light, Space, Life and Human deserve mentions for being good SGU episodes; I took notes, I watched the acting and I tried to get into the characters but I can't. I have looked to see some sort of deepness and the only people who hold a candle to the supposed deepness of the series is Rush, Young, Eli, the Black Guy (who I am embarrassed to not know his name), the true unknown, Destiny somewhat and the mission at hand. There is nothing deep about their situation, the aliens, the worlds, TJ, Scott and Chloe; I have tried to find the deepness but I can't see what these people are praising about, they seem like characters that don't have much personality or backstory.

Also ps1, there is a thing worse then bias; it's called letting ones love for a show get in the way of reality. I'm not dissing the people who like the show but your like from the show could be causing you to ignore some important flaws; case in point modern simpsons episodes; there are people who like the show and even say it's "even better then ever", however in the case of those fans, the episodes they watch are usually meidocre or bad (with rarely any good ones), the people have a right to like what they like but to ignore major flaws and to find a theory for why people are either not liking modern simpsons or how it's different then the old simpsons just shows how involved you are to the show, to the point where you're willing to praise every episode as brilliant and tell off the haters of the show as ignorant and biased; it's not a loss to me if I don't watch SGU (there are far better shows out there) but telling me that it's a loss, well there's definitely a bias in that.

I give a fair chance to every episodes; I even ignore reading the reviews just so I can experience the episode as if I was watching it for the first time, and so far it has failed to impress.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
            What bias?; I did give the series a chance and It's not like I gave every episode a bad review. Light, Space, Life and Human deserve mentions for being good SGU episodes; I took notes, I watched the acting and I tried to get into the characters but I can't.
            Zombie, you may be fighting a losing battle here bud, or at least one not worth fighting. SGU brings up very............. strong feelings in the fandom, and neutrality simply isn't seen as a "realistic position".

I have looked to see some sort of deepness and the only people who hold a candle to the supposed deepness of the series is Rush, Young, Eli, the Black Guy (who I am embarrassed to not know his name),
            It's Greer, played by Jamil Walker-Smith

the true unknown, Destiny somewhat and the mission at hand. There is nothing deep about their situation, the aliens, the worlds, TJ, Scott and Chloe; I have tried to find the deepness but I can't see what these people are praising about, they seem like characters that don't have much personality or backstory.
            While I wholeheartedly concurr with your assesment, it's a situation of different strokes for different folks, and no amount of "objective criticism" will make a difference.
            Also ps1, there is a thing worse then bias; it's called letting ones love for a show get in the way of reality. I'm not dissing the people who like the show but your like from the show could be causing you to ignore some important flaws; case in point modern simpsons episodes; there are people who like the show and even say it's "even better then ever", however in the case of those fans, the episodes they watch are usually meidocre or bad (with rarely any good ones), the people have a right to like what they like but to ignore major flaws and to find a theory for why people are either not liking modern simpsons or how it's different then the old simpsons just shows how involved you are to the show, to the point where you're willing to praise every episode as brilliant and tell off the haters of the show as ignorant and biased; it's not a loss to me if I don't watch SGU (there are far better shows out there) but telling me that it's a loss, well there's definitely a bias in that.
            Applause Applause.
            I give a fair chance to every episodes; I even ignore reading the reviews just so I can experience the episode as if I was watching it for the first time, and so far it has failed to impress.
            I enjoy your reviews, they cover both the positive and the negative.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

kick starter ?
              sigpic
              Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                But were any of those characters even human enough to have a human condition?
                Clearly, yes. The countless pages of praise from the fans is testament to that.

compared to Lost, these people seem like soap opera actors in space.
                Well you're welcome to your opinion, though I find it a bizarre one. Even if we ignore the talent of the cast (Carlyle being a more accomplished actor than anyone on Lost in my view, probably why the Lost writers cast him for OUaT), a soap is probably more focused on purely human stories than any other genre, certainly more so than Lost ever was.

They promised a character-drama that would explore the true alien, the true unknown but in my eyes it seems like they fell for generic sci-fi tropes and neglected to write about the characters.
                Did they? Please cite a source. I don't recall anything like that being said by the producers.

Out of all of the characters, only three are truly memorable/good; "Young", "Rush", and "Eli". you can't have a character drama if all of the characters aren't memorable or truly impact the story.
                In your opinion. For me personally, I found Eli to be one of the weakest characters on the show, while Greer to bemuch more memorable. Though admittedly more due to David Blue's performance than the actual writing. I think you'll find that there are loads of people who find even the less prominent characters like Brody, Park, Volker, Ginn and especially Perry memorable.

Plus there was something to be had with the true alien and the great unknown, I mean what is out there beyond Atlantis, is there life, are there certain things we could learn, are their worlds unlike our own and what is the true alien really, is it something we see in sci-fi series or is it something that could exist in another unheard of form?
                These sound more like things that you and some other fans wanted from the show, rather than what it was ever really about. In a character drama these sorts of things are mainly plot devices, they're mechanisms by which you can explore the human condition in ways that other genres don't allow for.

SG:U is a show that failed to grab an audience due to it's flaws and as such only appears to a niche audience who's appeal is a mystery to me.
                Following that sort of reasoning, Dancing With The Stars and the like are the best shows on TV. You can't dismiss narrow appeal as being down purely to flaws only when it suits your opinion. You can't ignore outside factors either.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                  kick starter ?
                  It's like a "pool of cash" donated by fans of a project to make it a reaity dude. It works really well for "abandonware" type projects where you don't have to deal with copyright/ownership issues, but for owned concepts, it's a bit of a legal minefeild.
                  sigpic

Comment

and what does MGM ro SyFy do with this Cash
                    sigpic

Comment

and what does MGM ro SyFy do with this Cash
                      From what I understand, nothing dude, it's too much of a legal minefield to deal with, hence why they do not encourage it, nor use it. It's a great concept for "abandonware" but just a pain for "alive" concepts. Stargate is still actively owned by MGM, and for them to touch a project like this would create at least the view that the donators *should* have control of the concept, and NO company will give that up if they are still interested in it, or feel they can profit by it, it's just not worth it to them.
                      sigpic

Comment

this all hurts my head ok say MGM has say 1 mil from this kick stater but they don't want to bring back SGU cause of ratings so why not make a new show?
                        sigpic

Comment

this all hurts my head ok say MGM has say 1 mil from this kick stater but they don't want to bring back SGU cause of ratings so why not make a new show?
                          Because the fans have donated it to re-start SGU, to use it for other reasons would be not only illegal, but an insult to the fans who have donated the money in the first place. This is WHY companies don't deal with this stuff with "living properties", it's just too much hassle.

Imagine 50 dudes getting togeather to fix your bike after you had an accident, cause they think you *should* be riding that bike, but you use the money to buy a SUV, you are betraying WHY they donated in the first place.
                          Got it??
                          sigpic

Comment

just but if there donating it and there not taking it where in hell is it?
                            sigpic

Comment

just but if there donating it and there not taking it where in hell is it?
                              I cannot answer that one bud, As far as I know, they have not taken any money for SGU.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                Clearly, yes. The countless pages of praise from the fans is testament to that.
                                Opinion, not fact, countless pages of *opinion* on a stagate site, gee, I wonder if it's biased at all?

Well you're welcome to your opinion, though I find it a bizarre one. Even if we ignore the talent of the cast (Carlyle being a more accomplished actor than anyone on Lost in my view, probably why the Lost writers cast him for OUaT), a soap is probably more focused on purely human stories than any other genre, certainly more so than Lost ever was.
                                Sigh.

Did they? Please cite a source. I don't recall anything like that being said by the producers.
                                Cause EVERYTHING is always said isn't it...............
                                In your opinion. For me personally, I found Eli to be one of the weakest characters on the show, while Greer to bemuch more memorable. Though admittedly more due to David Blue's performance than the actual writing.

You must be an Eli H8TER, not only did you criticise the character but the ACTOR as well, go away you evil hater, we have no time for such obviously biased comments around here...............

I think you'll find that there are loads of people who find even the less prominent characters like Brody, Park, Volker, Ginn and especially Perry memorable.
                                And considering they were *minor* characters, who proved to be more memorable than *main* characters, that does not provide a inkling of a hint to TBTB??
                                If your minor characters are *better loved* than your mains, you are doing something wrong as a writer, or your actors are doing something *right*

These sound more like things that you and some other fans wanted from the show, rather than what it was ever really about. In a character drama these sorts of things are mainly plot devices, they're mechanisms by which you can explore the human condition in ways that other genres don't allow for.
                                ROFLMAO!!!

Following that sort of reasoning, Dancing With The Stars and the like are the best shows on TV. You can't dismiss narrow appeal as being down purely to flaws only when it suits your opinion. You can't ignore outside factors either.
                                We cannot as fans true, the networks, oh hell yeah they can, they can even consider stuff we have no clue about.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X