Page 1 of 5 1 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter SGU Project

Hybrid View

TV Kickstarter SGU Project

I been following Kickstarter and I have supported 6 projects now I spent over 200 dollars supporting games and books that would never be made unless we the community would support them think of this as down payment for the final product and there are couple of tiers each with there own rewards.

What I was thinking is SGU kickstarter project to finish the story line funded by us the fans.

I want to take 1 game I supported as example..Brian Fargo starter project for Wasteland 2 and it just finished today with the backing of 3 million dollars.

Now if we can raise enough money for the ending of SGU the cast and crew can start making it them self and not be dependent on big company´s like MGM and SyFy we there fans would support them.

I have seen alot of SaveSGU campaigns and people can write petitions all day but it goes no where in the end its MGM and company´s like SyFy that will never pay for another season so we take a different approach we use kickstarter and we the fans pay for it in my opinion its the only way to get this done.

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Kickstarter SGU Project

The SGU animated continuation was recently sent a cease and desist from the MGM legal department and they were not collecting money in the name of Stargate. Do this and you probably will be sued.

Destiny, fighting off people that cancel SGU

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    The SGU animated continuation was recently sent a cease and desist from the MGM legal department and they were not collecting money in the name of Stargate. Do this and you probably will be sued.
    I knew that was going to happen. Despite many people including myself telling them they need to talk to MGM and get permission they obviously didn't. It sucks but what do you expect...

To the original post here, fan funding just doesn't work out. Too many hurdles out there. Many have tried, with SGU and many other shows but it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by dacooker View Post
    The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

I doubt it. I remember one person saying that if they won the lottery then they would use it to bring back Firefly but the creators didn't seem interested. It all comes down to whether or not Brad Wright and the gang would be able to come back to satisfy a few fans demands, and it's not just that; the show would require almost 100 million dollars in order to finish the storyline the way the creators intended, mainly because of expensive sets, visual effects, actors fees.

Personally I don't think SGU is worth resurrecting; the series itself was a far cry from what the creators intended, which was a show that explored the true unknown and suffered from a number of flaws that affected the show and tested it's viewers (many of which went away in droves.). I'm not doubting the people who like the show, I'm just doubting whether or not anybody sees it fit to resurrect the show, even if millions of people donated to save SGU; there are other shows that were canceled too soon that deserve money, series like "Better Off Ted".

Chief Master Sergeant Dazzle foot's Avatar

I remember when there was news about SGU's cancellation, someone asked joe mallozzi on his blog about fans 'chipping in' money wise so the story could be finished, and if I recal, his answer was 'if you win the lottery, maybe we can talk' I've been playing ever since!!
    I believe alot of the crew, and cast were really upset and some what p***ed off that they couldn't finish what they started.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Personally I don't think SGU is worth resurrecting; the series itself was a far cry from what the creators intended, which was a show that explored the true unknown and suffered from a number of flaws that affected the show and tested it's viewers (many of which went away in droves.).
    Pretty much everything they've said suggests the contrary. They wanted it to be about exploration into the human condition, not planets-of-the-week. In that they certainly succeeded in my view. I agree however that the chances of any live-action reboot are slim to none. These decision are made by the money men, and the financial incentive just isn't there. I would however love to see a novel continuation, which I do believe would be feasible.

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    They wanted it to be about exploration into the human condition, not planets-of-the-week. In that they certainly succeeded in my view.
    But were any of those characters even human enough to have a human condition?; compared to Lost, these people seem like soap opera actors in space.

They promised a character-drama that would explore the true alien, the true unknown but in my eyes it seems like they fell for generic sci-fi tropes and neglected to write about the characters. Out of all of the characters, only three are truly memorable/good; "Young", "Rush", and "Eli". you can't have a character drama if all of the characters aren't memorable or truly impact the story. Plus there was something to be had with the true alien and the great unknown, I mean what is out there beyond Atlantis, is there life, are there certain things we could learn, are their worlds unlike our own and what is the true alien really, is it something we see in sci-fi series or is it something that could exist in another unheard of form?

That combined with the characters could of created something that was both amazing and lived up to the Stargate name but instead they had to try their hands at trying to create drama, overusing the communication stones, constantly putting the characters in dangerous situations that are seemingly designed for an episode, using sex and a conflict in order to give the series edge (Young's sex plot is terrible TV) and ultimately, making the worlds and the aliens themselves generic. If they wanted to create a show that was truly amazing then they would of taken more risks and actually come up with something that doesn't require you to invest your time waiting for the point when it actually becomes good.

I can understand why you'd want to bring back something, you love it, you want to see that same type of feeling on the screen so that you and others can enjoy it but at the end of the day it's just not worth it. I've wanted to bring back something for a long time but after a while I just gave up on it because there was nothing you could do to save it, even if you came up with a brilliant idea, the hammer of reality smacks you in the face with stuff that makes those ideas unfeisable, it's just too much work to save something that's difficult to bring back. Sure, Arrested Development and Family Guy was brought back but those series were super popular, SG:U is a show that failed to grab an audience due to it's flaws and as such only appears to a niche audience who's appeal is a mystery to me.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    But were any of those characters even human enough to have a human condition?
    Clearly, yes. The countless pages of praise from the fans is testament to that.

compared to Lost, these people seem like soap opera actors in space.
    Well you're welcome to your opinion, though I find it a bizarre one. Even if we ignore the talent of the cast (Carlyle being a more accomplished actor than anyone on Lost in my view, probably why the Lost writers cast him for OUaT), a soap is probably more focused on purely human stories than any other genre, certainly more so than Lost ever was.

They promised a character-drama that would explore the true alien, the true unknown but in my eyes it seems like they fell for generic sci-fi tropes and neglected to write about the characters.
    Did they? Please cite a source. I don't recall anything like that being said by the producers.

Out of all of the characters, only three are truly memorable/good; "Young", "Rush", and "Eli". you can't have a character drama if all of the characters aren't memorable or truly impact the story.
    In your opinion. For me personally, I found Eli to be one of the weakest characters on the show, while Greer to bemuch more memorable. Though admittedly more due to David Blue's performance than the actual writing. I think you'll find that there are loads of people who find even the less prominent characters like Brody, Park, Volker, Ginn and especially Perry memorable.

Plus there was something to be had with the true alien and the great unknown, I mean what is out there beyond Atlantis, is there life, are there certain things we could learn, are their worlds unlike our own and what is the true alien really, is it something we see in sci-fi series or is it something that could exist in another unheard of form?
    These sound more like things that you and some other fans wanted from the show, rather than what it was ever really about. In a character drama these sorts of things are mainly plot devices, they're mechanisms by which you can explore the human condition in ways that other genres don't allow for.

SG:U is a show that failed to grab an audience due to it's flaws and as such only appears to a niche audience who's appeal is a mystery to me.
    Following that sort of reasoning, Dancing With The Stars and the like are the best shows on TV. You can't dismiss narrow appeal as being down purely to flaws only when it suits your opinion. You can't ignore outside factors either.

Clearly, yes. The countless pages of praise from the fans is testament to that.
    Opinion, not fact, countless pages of *opinion* on a stagate site, gee, I wonder if it's biased at all?

Well you're welcome to your opinion, though I find it a bizarre one. Even if we ignore the talent of the cast (Carlyle being a more accomplished actor than anyone on Lost in my view, probably why the Lost writers cast him for OUaT), a soap is probably more focused on purely human stories than any other genre, certainly more so than Lost ever was.
    Sigh.

Did they? Please cite a source. I don't recall anything like that being said by the producers.
    Cause EVERYTHING is always said isn't it...............
    In your opinion. For me personally, I found Eli to be one of the weakest characters on the show, while Greer to bemuch more memorable. Though admittedly more due to David Blue's performance than the actual writing.

You must be an Eli H8TER, not only did you criticise the character but the ACTOR as well, go away you evil hater, we have no time for such obviously biased comments around here...............

I think you'll find that there are loads of people who find even the less prominent characters like Brody, Park, Volker, Ginn and especially Perry memorable.
    And considering they were *minor* characters, who proved to be more memorable than *main* characters, that does not provide a inkling of a hint to TBTB??
    If your minor characters are *better loved* than your mains, you are doing something wrong as a writer, or your actors are doing something *right*

These sound more like things that you and some other fans wanted from the show, rather than what it was ever really about. In a character drama these sorts of things are mainly plot devices, they're mechanisms by which you can explore the human condition in ways that other genres don't allow for.
    ROFLMAO!!!

Following that sort of reasoning, Dancing With The Stars and the like are the best shows on TV. You can't dismiss narrow appeal as being down purely to flaws only when it suits your opinion. You can't ignore outside factors either.
    We cannot as fans true, the networks, oh hell yeah they can, they can even consider stuff we have no clue about.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    Whatever you've got planned, forget it! I'm the Doctor. I'm 904 years old. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm the Oncoming Storm, the Bringer of Darkness, and you... are basically just a rabbit, aren't you? Ok, carry on... just a... general... warning...

Remember that MGM owns the rights to the show and the characters. Not Brad Wright or the actors.

I'd read an SGU novel.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    I'd read an SGU novel.
    Me to...I would even read comics..I just want more SGU :þ

The series was given the official greenlight for a 2009 debut by Syfy on August 22, 2008, shortly after the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis had been announced.[28] Joseph Mallozzi explained that a new series would have lower salaries and licensing fees than a new sixth season of Atlantis would have had.[29] MGM co-funds the project.[30] According to co-star Robert Carlyle, each episode has a budget of $2 million US dollars.
    20mill to remake the sets for a new series + ep 1(terra nova ep1 was 10-20mill)
    19 episodes at a generous 3mill per ep = 57mill
    80-ish mill in total
    divide 80million by 20(episodes) = 4million

if 4million people each paid $1 per episode(or $20 for a season) we'd have enough money.
    assuming SGU could be finished in one season. and they'd all come back.

i'm all for it
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Chief Master Sergeant Dazzle foot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rlr149 View Post
    80-ish mill in total

if 4million people each paid $1 per episode(or $20 for a season) we'd have enough money.

i'm all for it
    Amen for that! Lol

Colonel

80-ish mill in total

i'm all for it
    Terra Nova isn't a fair comparison. It was one of (if not the) most expensive sci-fi series ever made. They built a huge complex for the main set, the SGU sets where no where near the same sort of scale operation.

Terra Nova isn't a fair comparison. It was one of (if not the) most expensive sci-fi series ever made. They built a huge complex for the main set, the SGU sets where no where near the same sort of scale operation.
    i thought it best to estimate on the larger side. i gave an extra 50% budget on each episode too

even better if it can be done for less.
    -Liberty Prime

80-ish mill in total

i'm all for it
    Hmm. Well, seeing as (if I'm reading it right) the most funded (cash amount-wise) stuff in Kickstarter are both in the region of 3 million USD (I spent 30 USD on the Wasteland 2 one, which hit over 3 million USD. I'm probably going to do the same for the Shadowrun Returns and/or Banner Saga, too)...I think that, even if the folks who'd ok a kickstarter by fans would say 'ok', it seems unlikely to succeed. (I've seen a few kickstarter projects asking for less than 10k failing)

Also, It doesn't help that SGU was kinda divisive, in a way (I personally liked it, and would like to see more, but I do get where those who didn't like it are coming from).
    There's also the question of momentum, I guess: it's been almost a year since the show aired its last episode...maybe if fans offered to step up while it was still being shown, etc. etc. etc.
    (but, hey, who knows. The first Wasteland game was made in the 80s...)

Methinks something less than a return of the series proper could work (webisodes? audio books/drama? novels?), but that's all provided that the powers-that-be would be ok with all that.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Probie

Ha its funny because I posted something similar to KickStarter but it never got a approved

Personally I think KickStarting a music cd which is the one thing fans should aim for and possible tv movie/comic series which would wrap up the series.

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Hmm. Well, seeing as (if I'm reading it right) the most funded (cash amount-wise) stuff in Kickstarter are both in the region of 3 million USD (I spent 30 USD on the Wasteland 2 one, which hit over 3 million USD. I'm probably going to do the same for the Shadowrun Returns and/or Banner Saga, too)...I think that, even if the folks who'd ok a kickstarter by fans would say 'ok', it seems unlikely to succeed. (I've seen a few kickstarter projects asking for less than 10k failing)

Also, It doesn't help that SGU was kinda divisive, in a way (I personally liked it, and would like to see more, but I do get where those who didn't like it are coming from).
    There's also the question of momentum, I guess: it's been almost a year since the show aired its last episode...maybe if fans offered to step up while it was still being shown, etc. etc. etc.
    (but, hey, who knows. The first Wasteland game was made in the 80s...)

Methinks something less than a return of the series proper could work (webisodes? audio books/drama? novels?), but that's all provided that the powers-that-be would be ok with all that.
    i'll get right on an answer to that as soon as i hammer a nail through my testicles, eyes and frontal lobes.
    -Liberty Prime

Uhm, most of the time it's not as simply as raising enough money. There are a lot of legal issues to consider and you would need to get MGM interested and willing to take the risk.

Firefly fans tried something similar and unlike 95% of campaigns which has tried to raised money for shows and failed, this campaign actually managed to raise a considerable amount, but Fox simply weren't interested.

I just can't see such a campaign ever working for SGU. You'd either hardly get any donations (most people aren't so willing to hand over cash to a stranger online, for all we know it could be a scam) or MGM won't be interested.