Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might the Wraith Have Found Earth Anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
    It's wrong to label what they did mere 'littering'.
    Why is it wrong to label what they did mere "littering"?

Remember, the only Goa'uld technologies that we know are Ancient-derived are the ring transporter and the sarcophagus - it's not like the Ancients left planet busting bombs lying around.

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
    And they didn't all die out from that plague. The corporeal Ancients flourished for a while in the Pegasus Galaxy but didn't bother to ever bother to come back to keep their tech away from the likes of raaces like the Go'auld. The Ascended Ancients didn't do so either.
    Before the Ancients were hit by the plague, they had an empire/alliance/whatever that spanned the entire Milky Way galaxy. Do you have any idea how extensive a cleanup project you're demanding on the off-chance that some aggressive younger race will misuse the technology - assuming that they can even figure out how it works. As an example, the Milky Way may have contained as many as 100,000 planets with Stargates on them* and who knows how many other planets with outposts but no Stargate. Consider also that, when the Ancients left for Pegasus, they were pretty much the last survivors of a plaque - we have no idea how much information they took with them about where things were, so they might have had to search the whole Milky Way from scratch to initiate the sort of cleanup that you insist upon

On that note, for all we know, the Ancients in Pegasus already did make a sweep of the Milky Way, cleaning up or salvaging potentially dangerous or useful technologies like Nova Bombs, ZPMs, grey goo nanites, etc., and what's left is just what the Ancients missed or thought unimportant.

*In "2001," they note that there are 5 other Stargates within 300 light-years of Volia - for a total of 6 Stargates in a volume of 113 million cubic light-years. The Milky Way has a radius of 50,000 light-years and a thickness of roughly 1,000 light-years, for a total volume of about 7.9 trillion cubic light-years. The ratio of those two volumes is on the order of 69,444, and multiplying by the six Stargates in the smaller volume yields a total of roughly 417,000 Stargates in the Milky Way.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      That would probably be the end of Earth as an independent power. I mean, even one Superhive was able to moonwalk through pretty much everything that Earth could throw at it, up to and including Atlantis itself. Although Earth's "Super 304" wasn't there, I'm not sure how much the Odyssey's ZPM would have helped - there's only so much that extra power can make up for if the shields and weapons systems can't handle the input that you're trying to give them.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the second Superhive would actually need the other Hives and cruisers, save perhaps for a thicker Dart screen to avoid another nuclear kamikaze in the Dart bay.
      OK.. perhaps not a full on super hive then.. but a large number of regular hives.. say a dozen, with their attendant cruisers.

Comment

Had everything not been sold or auctioned off, this could make for an interesting SG-1/Atlantis crossover TV movie, no? Imagine the Wraith invading Milky Way! Granted, it would be mostly an Atlantis story, but there'd naturally be some SG-1 characters and elements given the Milky Way setting.

Comment

I would love to see the Wraith invade the milky way.... and thin the herd.

Oh, I'm just wishing for that normal, not just tv wise

Anyway, I do think they would have eventually found Earth. The food in Pegasus was running low, they would have started expanding to explore even more.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Had everything not been sold or auctioned off, this could make for an interesting SG-1/Atlantis crossover TV movie, no? Imagine the Wraith invading Milky Way! Granted, it would be mostly an Atlantis story, but there'd naturally be some SG-1 characters and elements given the Milky Way setting.
            You might enjoy AlexanderD's A New Dawn on ff.net; the Wraith do just that, and they have super-powered Wraith whose has tech even mroe powerful than Todd; won'tt ell you how that Wraith got suepr-powered tho thus spoiling it lol.
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by loserinc View Post
              I would love to see the Wraith invade the milky way.... and thin the herd.

Oh, I'm just wishing for that normal, not just tv wise
              Just as long as they hit the mid east (syria, iran), the far east (china & north korea) and most of Africa first..

Comment

i think the point being made is that

the ancients fled the ori - came back to bite us in the a**

abandoning their tech led to the goa'uld becoming powerful

they supposedly may have accidentally caused the wraith to exist and didn't take the threat they posed as serious as they should have.

they created the asurans and assumed they destroyed them all for being too sentient, the asurans became vengeful - fail

in some circles they are suggested as the origin of the replicators

so collectively they may have caused the rise of every major villain race so far. obviously they felt a moral conflict against stopping the ori, tried to stop the wraith, had no power against the goa'uld upon returning to the milky way.

Comment

That about sums it up. Though i wonder why they didn't have any tech here they could have used to try and thwart the gou'ald.

Comment

Working...
                  X