No announcement yet.

As I finish SGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to say they didn't want to be bothered. As far as we've been told, there's even a completed script for the post-series Atlantis movie Extinction. But due to a combination of factors (chiefly among them, MGM was flat broke for an extended period of time when the movie was slotted to be made), it just never materialized.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
      But the one thing I wonder about that ep if it was really supposed to end at that point. I know JM said the story was the same but they did tweek it a bit when the show was cancelled.

If there had been a season 6 I wonder if they had thought about, or if it would have made more sense to end the ep 5 - 10 minutes earlier. It would have been another cliffhanger but they could have ended it at the point where it looked like Sheppard was going to crash in the desert or when he was going on into the hive ship and on the Pegasus side they could have ended as the city was going to attempt to use the wormhole drive to return to Earth. They could have used that extra 5-10 minutes to help the script flow better, and fill in some plot points.
      Huh, I never thought about that. Interesting!

Originally posted by Wulfmann View Post
      It also should have been more SG complete. Both series
      Had this event actually happened Tealc, Jackson, Col Mitchel, Vala and Gen O'neil would have been included in the defense of earth and with a two hour run finale a super wrap up was possible and would have been a crown jewel to the two series.
      The finale should be about the Atlantis Expedition saving the Earth, not SG-1 rescuing the expedition from the Wraith. Interesting idea, though. Realistically, too many SG-1 characters competing with screen time from the Atlantis cast. Further, who's to say Teal'c's still with the SGC? He spent 60 years away from his people. "Midway" implied that he'd left the SGC. "He was part of SG-1 for ten years." Was, as in past tense. If he were still with the team, Carter'd have phrased that differently, no? For me, having Colonel Carter and Major Davis at the SGC was more than enough to represent the SG-1 side of the coin. Speaking of Major Davis, why hasn't that man ever been promoted???

Comment

I did not mean SG1 should have taken the lead I meant it would be logical they would have come back for this event. Certainly the SG1 team would have been recalled whatever form Mitchel's team would be so at the very least Mitchel would have been involved.
        Just playing the idea; stargates are real and therefore logic would dictate; train of thought

Wulfmann

Comment

From a story telling point of view, yes, it would make sense to involve General Landry and the SG-1 team. Perhaps "Enemy at the Gate" might have worked better as a movie or trilogy of episodes? Regardless, as a 42-minute episode, there simply wouldn't have been time to involve more than one or two SG-1 characters. Involving Carter and Davis was more than enough.

Comment

SGA didn't conclude properly. End of Season 5 gave it a subtle ending if you knew the show was cancelled but lets say that you had no clue that it was I think a person would be like "Ok where is the next season" I think this has to do with the Atlantis film that was promised but in fact was a lie. THe Ark of Truth for me is the end of SG-1 Continuum was a good side adventure (even though it can be seen as the end).Basically they send the same message IMHO. Atlantis should have a direct to DVD film to conclude it also.
            Last edited by python490; 04 May 2012, 07:40 AM.
            sigpic

Favorite quote:
            McKay: You shot me!
            Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
            Ronon: You shot me, too.
            Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by python490 View Post
              Atlantis should have a direct to DVD film to conclude it also.
              Well, it was supposed to. It, along with the third SG-1 movie, were repeatedly delayed and then indefinitely shelved because of MGM being flat broke.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Well, it was supposed to. It, along with the third SG-1 movie, were repeatedly delayed and then indefinitely shelved because of MGM being flat broke.
                Not to mention SGU deserved an ending...
                sigpic

Comment

SGA didn't conclude properly.
                  Who's to say what properly is? For me, the ideal ending was always to have Atlantis fly back to Earth. For others, it would be the final defeat of the Wraith.

End of Season 5 gave it a subtle ending if you knew the show was cancelled but lets say that you had no clue that it was I think a person would be like "Ok where is the next season"
                  You could say the same about SG-1's finale, given the Ori were still at large. Was that episode any different than "Full Circle," "Lost City," or "Moebius?"

I think this has to do with the Atlantis film that was promised but in fact was a lie.
                  Was it a lie? There's no way to know. When John Flannigan was first approached via interviews about the TV movie, he died having any knowledge and presumed that "Enemy of the Gate" was the end of the road. There was a lot of talk about a script, but was there? Perhaps it was just a pitch? Honestly, I can imagine there was a script, the Season 6 two-part premiere (concept) reworked into a TV movie script. However, a script doesn't mean there's going to be a movie. Ultimately, it was just a bunch of hot air. Though I wanted to believe there'd be a TV movie, the producers/writers have a track record of saying this or that will happen, and then it doesn't happen. So... yeah... until I see production stills or something, I wasn't buying the movie.

Art of Truth for me is the end of SG-1 Continuum was a good side adventure (even though it can be seen as the end).Basically they send the same message IMHO.
                  Art of Truth? I can agree with The Ark of Truth being the true finale. Continuum played out as more of an independent bonus adventure. Ever watch a TV show that ended conclusively, but you wanted to see what happened next anyway? That's how I tend to think of Seasons 9&10 and the movies.

Atlantis should have a direct to DVD film to conclude it also.
                  If the film deals with the Pegasus Asgard or the Wraith, absolutely. If it's the proposed script that's been partially leaked on GateWorld Forums, I'll pass.

Comment

Most of season 5 felt very disjointed. Like they just grabbed any bunch of eps and threw it into the mix. Half of it didn't make sense, the other few were just downright terrible and there was only one ep that I would say was a great episode and that was the first one "Search and rescue". Although even that had it's flaws.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      Who's to say what properly is? For me, the ideal ending was always to have Atlantis fly back to Earth. For others, it would be the final defeat of the Wraith.

Art of Truth? I can agree with The Ark of Truth being the true finale. Continuum played out as more of an independent bonus adventure. Ever watch a TV show that ended conclusively, but you wanted to see what happened next anyway? That's how I tend to think of Seasons 9&10 and the movies.

If the film deals with the Pegasus Asgard or the Wraith, absolutely. If it's the proposed script that's been partially leaked on GateWorld Forums, I'll pass.
                      Thanks for catching my mistype. I just fixed it. Leaked Scripts are usually not the scripts that make the final cut(even if they are true) but yeah if it was going to be like that it would have been very disappointing. Being promised films but not getting them is a pretty bad lie IMHO
                      sigpic

Favorite quote:
                      McKay: You shot me!
                      Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                      Ronon: You shot me, too.
                      Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

It wasn't a leaked script. It was a rough synopsis of how it would have started, and it came from Joe Mallozzi's blog.

...The guy who wrote it.

Comment

Season Five wasn't my favorite either, I loved Atlantis as well but it wasn't treated good when it comes down to the finale. The only good episodes, as digi and others said were The Deadalus Variations, First Contact and The Lost Tribe as well as Vegas.... I'm kinda sad that they did not clearly thought out a plan because the ratings weren't always that good and there was always a possibility that it could get axed after the fifth seasons ( wasn't the fifth seasons also unsure at that time ? I don't remember it ) and with SG1 it's the same reason, I think the ratings were not that good so there was a good chance that season ten could be the last, they could have taken a good time to develop a nice end for the entire shows in season ten ( SG1 ) or season five (SGA) but with all that complaint it still is my favorite franchise !
                          sigpic

Comment

The ratings for Season 5 were going up (a bit), and were higher, I believe, than when they renewed it the previous year. One issue was shows get more expensive as they go on and who knows whether the somewhat higher ratings were enough to compensate for those higher costs? They believed they had something in SGU that would do far better for them. They were sadly mistaken, but I think they believed it would get better ratings and critical acclaim. In terms of financial success, I'm thinking they would have done better to stick with SGA for another season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                              Season Five wasn't my favorite either, I loved Atlantis as well but it wasn't treated good when it comes down to the finale. The only good episodes, as digi and others said were The Deadalus Variations, First Contact and The Lost Tribe as well as Vegas.... I'm kinda sad that they did not clearly thought out a plan because the ratings weren't always that good and there was always a possibility that it could get axed after the fifth seasons ( wasn't the fifth seasons also unsure at that time ? I don't remember it ) and with SG1 it's the same reason, I think the ratings were not that good so there was a good chance that season ten could be the last, they could have taken a good time to develop a nice end for the entire shows in season ten ( SG1 ) or season five (SGA) but with all that complaint it still is my favorite franchise !
                              Nope, ratings were rising and getting higher for the last episodes. SGA was a candidate for the axe in season 4 when the ratings were falling, but in season 5 the viewer came back (and brought their friends with them ).

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                              Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic
                              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                              I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Overall, I like the fifth season. However, it does seem like the writers were running out of ideas. The season was going strong right up until "The Prodigal." After that, it was kind of downhill. "Remnants" was OK, but it felt like something I'd seen before. "Brain Storm" was simply the McKay hour. "Infection" got the show back on track. It's not that it was a Wraith episode, but rather it was just a good episode! "Identity" was OK, but again... the Keller hour. "Vegas" was boring, it didn't have any bearing on the series. I might have embraced it had it been mid-season, but it stunk as a lead-in to the finale. "Enemy At the Gate," though rushed and highly criticized went down as a great series finale and my favorite episode of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X