This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Another year of playoffs started last night!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_St...layoff_bracket

Eastern Quarterfinals:
    Rangers vs. Senators
    Bruins vs. Caps
    Panthers vs. Devils
    Pens vs. Flyers

Western Quarterfinals
    Canucks vs. LA
    St Louis vs. San Jose
    Phoenix vs. Chicago
    Preds vs. Wings

Looks like Philly and LA got off to a good start last night, winning their respective games

Who's watching? Who's cheering who?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Not supporting the Winds is grounds for being disowned according to my father. Although I will admit they have some tough games coming up even if they do beat Nashville
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I LOVE AND LIVE HOCKEY!!!!

had a glorious trip to FL to watch my Habbies play in Miami and Tampa....

sadly first time in a long time me boys are not in the playoffs ..... *sigh* we are rebuilding and will be a formidable for soon enough!!

but, for now ... we have playoffs and W00T!! I will be watching!!

so anyone wanna make a small voting on all this .... a bracket thingy???

teehee!!
      sigpic
      SCORE!!
      The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

hockey's good NRL Awesome
        sigpic
        Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Eastern Quarterfinals:

Rangers vs. Senators
          Bruins vs. Caps
          Panthers vs. Devils
          Pens vs. Flyers (although the Flyers got lucky last night --- due to a seriously blown call by the refs!!)

Western Quarterfinals

Canucks vs. LA
          St Louis vs. San Jose
          Phoenix vs. Chicago
          Preds vs. Wings (Nashville has the ugliest uniforms ever!!)

ok ... so i have some serious hatred for certain teams .....

teehee!!
          sigpic
          SCORE!!

Comment

Rangers!!
            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Phoenix Coyotes!

Comment

Canucks will dominate
                sigpic
                Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by aintright View Post
                  [I]
                  St Louis vs. San Jose
                  I'm not talking to you anymore.

GO BLUES!!!
                  sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                    I'm not talking to you anymore.

GO BLUES!!!

still, again or

this is a new one!!!

teehee!!
                    sigpic
                    SCORE!!

Comment

My work's completely inept head office is in St Louis, so I cheer for anything opposed to that city by default
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just how much coverage did the beginning of the NHL Playoffs get on an episode of SportsCenter?

Thanks to Deadspin's excellent series Bristolmetrics, statistical evidence has been provided that has proved something we've known all along... ESPN doesn't give a damn about the NHL. To date in their study since January 7th, the NHL receives a meager 3.1% of SportsCenter airtime. Given ESPN doesn't have a contract with the NHL and employs 1 NHL analyst that makes regular appearances on SportsCenter, this apathy towards the NHL is no mystery. In fact, the extent to which the NHL is ignored by ESPN has become its own sort of running gag and a badge of honor for hockey fans.

But it got me thinking, if there was ever a time for ESPN to pay attention to the NHL, it would be Thursday. The Stanley Cup Playoffs had just kicked off the night before with a full slate of games. There was no big ESPN event that evening to promote. There was no breaking news throughout the day that deserved full-scale coverage. In fact, the sports story of the day was Philly's dramatic 4-3 OT victory in Pittsburgh after trailing 3-0 in Game 1 of their series. If there was any day for SportsCenter to dive a little deeper into the NHL, this would be it.

So with an ode to the Bristolmetrics study, I decided to pick a random, run-of-the-mill SportsCenter - the 1 PM ET edition on Thursday, to see how much coverage they devoted to the NHL. The live afternoon SportsCenters are a hodgepodge of highlights from the night before, analysis and features, and looking ahead to the coming evening. Even though they're all billed as live, they share roughly the same content from hour to hour. It's an interesting look into SportsCenter's evolution in being just as much about opinion and analysis as highlights and reports. With the NHL having their night to shine, how much ice time did the league get on the afternoon edition of SportsCenter?

2 minutes and 8 seconds.

2:08! That's it! That's barely longer than a North Korean missile launch! In the nearly 44 minutes of SportsCenter action (43:49 by my unscientific count), that amounted to a mere 4.9% of SportsCenter. Hey, at least its up from the average year to date. So what did SportsCenter actually use their time to talk about? Here's the eye-opening breakdown...

More at link.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          My work's completely inept head office is in St Louis, so I cheer for anything opposed to that city by default
                          Tries to thing of which inept St Louis company you could be talking about ... naw ... there are too many of them.

Please tell me you don't work for Anheiswer Busch or whatever they are called these days. (And if you do congrats on keeping your job amidst the carnage). Gussie Busch has got to be rollen in his grave seeing what has happened to this once great company.
                          sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I used to support any NHL team with one or more prominent Finnish players, but now as every team seems to have at least one, I'll go with the Canucks because it's Michael Shanks' favorite team.
                            Last edited by maneth; 14 April 2012, 05:15 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

W00T!!! great to see the Panthers with a win!!

oh!! an thrilled to see the Caps kick the Brew in the Butt!!! all these OT games ....

Sir Stanley would be proud!!

teehee!!
                              sigpic
                              SCORE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X