Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did aliens FUND their huge operations?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did aliens FUND their huge operations?!

When thinking about the goa'uld, the Ori, the Tokra and the wraith, and who knows who else, I keep wondering how on earth (no pun intended) they FUNDED all of their enormously expension operations. Down here there is always talk about the Pentagon, the international committee, etc., budgets, etc. but the aliens seem to never have any limits to their budgets, to the money available for their huge operations and expenses.

One enormous pyramid ship must cost the equivalent of a few billion dollars alone. Even a zat gun or a cloaking device used by the sodans must have been worth millions of dollars in our currency. I realize that naquadah would be a source of income, but I don't think anything could have covered the limitless amount of alien technology and power that we see.

By the way, how costly is it to reproduce normal earth gravity in space ships? Say half a billion dollars per vessel?

You do realize the Goa'uld had hundreds of planets with slaves who they almost worked to death for naquadah, trinium and all the other things they needed and had Jaffa armies free of charge? It was either give in or die.

Same for the Ori, who had their devoted followers do all the work and killing for them.

The Tok'ra basically only used their 'own' crystal technology and stole the rest from the Goa'uld or just pretended to be a Goa'uld and use their resources.

None of them were known for using any kind of currency (well, maybe slaves) or fair trading, after all

Not really into SGA, but I imagine the Wraith had a similar system.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

they were bad guys.... half the time they probably just took what the wanted
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

Ah, it had been a while since a new Dave2 thread...

When you are a virtual empire with no one to contest you, and a large supply of expendable labor, you can do a lot for a little.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
          they were bad guys.... half the time they probably just took what the wanted
          Yup.. They all used Master card
          "I AM THE MASTER< GIVE ME WHAT I SAY OR DIE!"

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Kind of like the race card, though I guess using the "Goa'uld" race card would apply in this case as well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                Kind of like the race card, though I guess using the "Goa'uld" race card would apply in this case as well.
                Apohpis: "Kneel before me, for i am your God! You will do my bidding."
                Townspeople: "Never! False God! We are free, we will be slaves to none!"
                Jaffa: "Hey, those guys are right. Freedom! We die free!"
                Apophis: "Insolence!" *Fires off flashy weapons* "I am your God!"
                Townspeople: "Tricks! False God!"
                Jaffa: "False God!!"
                ............Lots of yelling and jeering..........
                Apophis: "Oh, i see what this is. I know whats going on here. Its cos im a black man isnt it?"
                ............jeering dies down..............
                Townspeople: "Er, no, no errr, we just...."
                Jaffa: "Its not err, no..."
                Apophis: "No, no. I know how these things work. I'll go. Be with "my own kind". You guys are mean."
                Townspeople: "Ok ok, come back. Maybe we can work something out. We'll mine the stuff."
                Jaffa: "Sorry man. We didnt mean nothing by it. We'll obay. Get to work peasants!!"
                Apophis: "Yeah, well i've got my eye on you lot. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!"

Random townsperson: "Show us your birth certificate!"
                sigpic

Comment

I reckon they made Intergalactic Moonshine...made a fortune ya know!..

Deeds xx *in a very silly mood tonight*
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

And they had no govt to worry about taxing the heck out of them!

Comment

Yup....can you tell I've been watching Discovery Channel's "Moonshiners" recently?....am just trying to work out which alien is the equivalent of the notorious "Popcorn Sutton"...

Deeds xx
                      Last edited by discodiva; 10 April 2012, 02:18 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Well; if we're talking about the Asgard then they may have had a currency system but otherwise, these big races usually had the resources and technology available to build anything they wanted. Simple as that.
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

A bit too simple if you ask me, but a fair question. But you can build quite impressive things if you have enough time and enough slave labor, the Great Wall of China for example. Even if apparently most of the people working on the Egyptian pyramids were paid laborers, not slaves.
                          sigpic

Comment

The Tollans would be what I would call a "noble race", willing to put aside selfish, self centered greedy ambitions for the greater good. Same with the Tok'ra, Ancients and Asgard.

Besides, having a virtually unlimited clean power supply would help with certain things. Z-PM's, ING's, naquadah.

The Serrakin/Hebridans obviously had an economic system similar to ours as seen in Space race. The Lucian alliance, most likely more so then the Goa'uld.

The Goa'uld and Ori took/demanded whatever they wanted.

The Wraith only care about one resource- Humans. They dont think like us. They dont have the same goals as us. Beings who live forever, only needing life energy would have less of an obsession with acquiring material wealth I should think. They would grow their ships and do research to better be able to compete with other Wraith for food, survival being the driving force.
                            sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

I didn't think many of the species encountered in SG1 cared about money...

Comment

Working...
                              X