Tok'ra Ascension and the Symbiote/Host Relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tok'ra Ascension and the Symbiote/Host Relationship

If a Tok'ra symbiote were to ascend, would the symbiote help his/her human host to ascend with him/her?

If a Tok'ra human host were to ascend, would the host help his/her symbiote to ascend with him/her?

The symbiote and host share their knowledge, so if either one knows how to ascend then the other would too, right? And since Tok'ra are friendly toward their hosts (unlike Goa'uld), they would want to take their human host along with them if they ascend (if the human host wants to ascend).

Gua'uld are parasites, parasites don't ascend for the obvious reasons

Comment

How do you explain Anubis? What if the host ascended and left the Goa'uld or Tok'ra behind? Oops!

Comment

Tok'ra aren't parasites; they're symbiotes.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

In "Maternal Instinct" when Daniel, Jack and Bra'tac were talking to the monk, the monk as much as said that Bra'tac and Teal'c could not "ascend" because of the symbiotes they carried. I would think the same would hold for a Tok'ra.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            In "Maternal Instinct" when Daniel, Jack and Bra'tac were talking to the monk, the monk as much as said that Bra'tac and Teal'c could not "ascend" because of the symbiotes they carried. I would think the same would hold for a Tok'ra.
            Why, when the symbiotes were Goa'uld? Remember the species that includes both Goa'uld and Tok'ra has genetic memory, and the larvae are likely spawned with their mentality and character already in place. Goa'uld have an evil mentality and character, which would seem to preclude Ascension (but then there's the problem of Anubis again). Tok'ra symbiotes generally have -- or are more likely to have -- a positive, good mentality/character, which would seem to be no barrier to Ascension.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Perhaps a safety measure to insure that there wouldn't be a second Anubis running around?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                Perhaps a safety measure to insure that there wouldn't be a second Anubis running around?
                that would make sense, since the monk was a follow of oma, so maybe he knew that symbiote's should ascend. sadly that includes the tok'ra.
                sigpic

Comment

It perhaps comes down to what knowledge is needed to Ascend. Theoretically, it could be something that an inherently "evil" being/person would never, ever consider on their own... but that an outsider might tell them out of charity.

Comment

The monk said that Teal'c couldn't ascend because of the evil he carried (i.e. the Goa'uld larva in his pouch).
                    The monk didn't say symbiotes couldn't ascend, only that someone evil couldn't.
                    Since Tok'ra are not evil, they should be able to ascend just as well as humans.

Of course, Anubis is as evil as they get, and he ascended just fine, so it would seem there is a loop-hole somewhere

As for the question of whether Tok'ra a host/symbiote pair would help each other ascend? Yes, I absolutely think so - and since they share knowledge, both would know how to as soon as one of them did (more likely, they would probably figure it out together).
                    sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Who's to say evil people can't ascend? Oma DeSalla was just trying to prevent more Anubis-types ascending. Saying evil people can't ascend is a good measure to insure that, no? It would deter evil people, and it would encourage good people to purge the darkness within.

Comment

And, of course, we must not forget that the Ori were evil and they too, like Anubis, were able to ascend. Thus evil does not necessarily prevent a being from ascending.

Comment

Anubis ascended with Oma's help. Anubis tricked Oma and that's part of her 'punishment' for allowing it to happen. She had to 'learn from her mistake' and pay for an evil goa'uld ascending.

So since Bra'tac's goa'uld symbiote was nothing but genetic offspring of a goa'uld (which are just evil from the get-go) the goa'uld symbiote hadn't the intelligence or the knowledge to ascend.

And part of the 'ascending' experience is not fearing death, not being held back by being a mortal or mortal wants. So telling Bra'tac he had to remove the symbiote would help him ascend with death.
                          O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

Comment

Perhaps it was the other's stopping future anubis's coming about, but i do feel it might also have to do with their parasitic nature.

Comment

Working...
                            X