No announcement yet.

Fringe Season 5: Odds ar 70/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be nice to see Fringe reach the 100 episode mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
      Would be nice to see Fringe reach the 100 episode mark.
      sigpic

Comment

All it would take would be 12 episode fifth season. I would be fine with even that, if they were using it to wrap up the story.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Given the not so great ratings I take a 70/30 chance for renewal as very good news indeed. Would have feared that the chances are lower than that. Hopefully we will get that final season. Would be a shame to see such a great show go before it has run it's course.

Comment

I honestly don't know what Fringe's issue is as far as ratings go. I think its one of the better shows on TV right now.
            sigpic

Comment

Friday Night Death Slot, erratic scheduling, lack of advertising...take your pick.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd have to say the Friday Night Death Slot; as the series itself was promoted pretty well...
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  I honestly don't know what Fringe's issue is as far as ratings go. I think its one of the better shows on TV right now.
                  Fringe is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. IMO, too many people don't truly know what good scripted television is.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    Fringe is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. IMO, too many people don't truly know what good scripted television is.
                    sigpic

Comment

I too have been really enjoying this year. I think they've done a really interesting and effective job of writing a lot of monster-of-the-week stories that are subtly and thematically tied to the larger events of the season. Case in point: the episode with the kid near the beginning of the season; a great story about a kid that mirrors the story of Walter's 'inexplicable' loss (of Peter).

That said, I do think they've lost the plot a little bit this year. We spent Season 1 exploring 'the pattern', Season 2 building up to full contact between the universes, Season 3 fighting, and finally culminated Season 3 with the great big moment of an alternate timeline and turning on the machine and bridging the universes so that the problems can be fixed and the conflict stopped.....and then nothing.

We're about 3/4 of the way through Season 4 and we've seen Liberty Island--home of 'work together!' effort--what, twice? We've seen the Over There alternates that we came to enjoy so much just a handful of times, to the point that I'd bet we can count their number of appearances on one hand.

I really do think they've kind of lost the point in Season 4; it's like they had a great idea for a tangent and have been running with it for about 10 episodes longer than they should have.

This isn't to say that I haven't liked it. Not at all--I've been really, really liking it. For the reasons I already said above re: MOTW/narrative synthesis, but also because I've been finding the stories well-written and well-acted. I just don't know that they can afford to go on a season-long tangent when the threat of cancellation has been dangling above them like the proverbial sword of Damocles since (at least) halfway through last year.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Friday Night Death Slot, erratic scheduling, lack of advertising...take your pick.
                        What Digi said. Fringe had great ratings when it originally aired, then Fox in it's brilliant wisdom, decided to change the night it aired and ratings slipped, which then led Fox to decide that since ratings were slipping they would shuffle it off to the Friday Night Death Slot so that it's ratings could further slip. As far as I know Fox has never had a show do well on Friday nights. *shrugs*
                        sigpic

Comment

The X-Files did pretty well on Fridays, IIRC. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

I really hope that FOX doesn't wait until this season is over to make their decision on the fate of Fringe for next season. The sooner I know, the better for my nerves.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

When did Fringe hit its peak then (season and episode)?

Comment

In Season 1 (when it was on on Tuesday nights) it hovered pretty consistently around the 9 million viewers mark, with a low of 7.7 million and a high of 13.3 million. It ended that year on 9.3 million for the finale.

For Season 2, FOX moved it to Thursday nights. It premiered down considerably, at 7.8 million, and for the rest of the season hovered in the 5-6 million viewers area. Low of 4.9 million, high of 8.9 million.

The first half of Season 3 continued on Thursday nights, premiering with 5.8 million viewers and continued hovering in the 5 million viewer range. Low of 4.7 million, high of 5.8 million.

At episode 10 of Season 3 they moved it to the Friday Night Death Slot. In the new timeslot it premiered to 4.9 million viewers and slid generally downward as the remainder of the season played out, ending the year with just 3.3 million viewers for the finale.

Season 4 has remained in the FNDS slot, and continues to draw lower numbers than before its timeslot move(s)--premiering to just 3.5 million. With the various jumps and starts this season (hiatuses of 3 weeks after just 4 episodes, two months after 3 more, and another month after airing 7 more), the viewership numbers have been in the low-3 to high-2 million viewers neighbourhood. High of 3.5 million (the premiere) and a low of 2.9 million (a tie between the first episode back in January and the March 23 episode)

Comment

Working...
                                X