Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

  1. #1
    Colonel Coco Pops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Enterprise NX 01
    Posts
    6,122

    Default Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Season 6 is both confusing and annoying......

    Things I didn't like The Flesh Amy. We got hints of something off with her when the TARDIS scanner couldn't tell if she was knocked up or not. So she was kidnapped on her wedding night? Strange... Wasn't the Doctor with her most of the evening, and Rory? How could she be kidnapped?

    Episode 1 I find a little confusing and annoying. First off was the Doctor really killed the first time we see this happen? Was it the little girl inside the space suit? I got the impression he knew who she was in this first episode .

    Yet when the Silents capture her later in the series she's an adult trying to kill him so does this happen twice? And his whole escaping death via using the Tesselecta felt like ban fan writing.

    And things I want answered. Was this the same army that helped the Doctor and Amy when the weeping angels were in that crashed space ship in the last series? Howcome they didn't try to capture the Doctor back then if he was such a threat? Or are they just thugs for hire? Or was the Silence controlling the army and the monks?

    Oh and since when could a machine like the Tesselecta imitate the pre regeneration glow of a Timelord? It should not be able to do that. And yet in the very first episode you learn that it is episode 6's Doctor "dying" by the lake so it's not really him but that machine thing.

    This whole thing of everyone being freaked out and scared of the Big Bad Doctor feels a bit silly..... They did it last series why repeat it?

    Anyway rant over.............
    Last edited by Coco Pops; March 21st, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: EDITED AND ADDED BITS
    Playing as Johanna Darkwater. Friend me in game if you are online

    Hey I have an idea let's write a video game and put it online, add DLC and patches when needed and just put it out there. Who needs testing right? :/

    Let's call it Defiance


  2. #2
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, AU
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    *sigh*

    I could try and answer these questions, as I like to do when people ask Doctor Who questions... (indeed, in the 1990's I appointed myself "Oracle" of Doctor Who on my website and Hotline peer-to-peer site) But...

    All you need to know is, Moffat has said next season will be back to single adventures, which to me is evidence that yes, he went TOO FAR, and our brains will not be hurt like this again...

    Doctor Who has the potential at the best of times to involve convoluted storylines. There is not need for the messed up screwball ideas he has been tossing our way over the past 2 years and calling it a tv show.



    Awww nuts ok - here's some answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Things I didn't like The Flesh Amy ... How could she be kidnapped?
    There was clearly events that took place after the wedding, and before the new season... (ie we didn't see the Orient Express story). So, it happened at some point after the Big Bang but before the new season...

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    was the Doctor really killed the first time we see this happen? Was it the little girl inside the space suit? I got the impression he knew who she was in this first episode .
    The "first" time was the same as the "second" time... we just see it all again, so that we can see what really happened. It was River, not young River, in the suit... Just that the next time we see the suit, it's young River inside it... (Ummm.... well that's how I interpreted it)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    And his whole escaping death via using the tesselecta felt like ban fan writing.
    It was about as bad as the Big Bang... and both on par with The Last Time Lord (or whatever the Golum Doctor story was). Yes, VERY BAD fan wank.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Was this the same army
    No.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Anyway rant over.
    I'm still ranting myself... Could SO very nearly give up on NewWho over this past season. And I've been a WHO fan all my life... 34 years...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; March 14th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.

  3. #3
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    22,850

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Perhaps you should ask a child. All the children seem to understand it. It's only adults that try to overcomplicate things and see storylines that aren't there.

    Doctor Who next episode - "In the Forest of the Night", Saturday 25th October, BBC1, 8.20 pm

  4. #4
    Colonel Coco Pops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Enterprise NX 01
    Posts
    6,122

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Oh so in episode 1 it is still the tesselecta? and not the real Doctor dying? Hmmmmm...

    The problem is that in future seasons till the 50th anniversary we still have to see what this super secret question is. I am sure the writers will have to go there eventually. I hope it's not wanky

    BTW my tribute to the sexy River Song in my avvie, we did that with one of my models
    Last edited by Coco Pops; March 14th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
    Playing as Johanna Darkwater. Friend me in game if you are online

    Hey I have an idea let's write a video game and put it online, add DLC and patches when needed and just put it out there. Who needs testing right? :/

    Let's call it Defiance


  5. #5
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,427

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    There was clearly events that took place after the wedding, and before the new season... (ie we didn't see the Orient Express story). So, it happened at some point after the Big Bang but before the new season...
    I completely disgree. Amy was kidnapped by the Silents in the first episode of series 32--that's when the change happened IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    All you need to know is, Moffat has said next season will be back to single adventures, which to me is evidence that yes, he went TOO FAR, and our brains will not be hurt like this again...
    Not true. They've said there won't be any 2-parters. They've said nothing to the effect of what you're saying.

  6. #6
    Brigadier General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,215

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I completely disgree. Amy was kidnapped by the Silents in the first episode of series 32--that's when the change happened IMO.

    That's what thought too; that she was kidnapped sometime after she tells the Doctor that she's pregnant(so I guess maybe between the first and second ep of the season, probably while they were running around 1969); since after that she tells him she made a mistake and that she wasn't pregnant.

  7. #7
    Captain Billz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bracknell, South England
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    I don't see why people are getting so confused, where it is really all very simple if you just properly think about it all.

    "Was this the same army!"
    Yes, but not at the same points in time. They are called the Clerics. The time when the Doctor, Amy and River all helped them fight off the Weeping Angels at the Byzantium crash site, was at a later point in the Clerics military history to when the Doctor, Amy, Rory, Strax, Jenny, Madame Vastra and Lorna were facing off against them and the Headless Monks at Demons Run.

    "was the Doctor really killed the first time we see this happen? Was it the little girl inside the space suit? I got the impression he knew who she was in this first episode ."
    Like cosmichobo said, the "first" time was the "second" time, just from different perspectives. Same event. Two different ways of seeing it. To alter what cosmichobo said though, both times where we see River shoot the Teselecta, she was River after her brainwashing was broken in "Let's Kill Hitler". The next time we see the Doctor confronting the spacesuit happens in 1969. First time from his perspective. It contained River in her little girl form before she regenerates into her Mels form in New York. This happens in '69, before Kovarian forces the older, newly regenerated River back into the space suit in the 51st century, and sends her back in time to Lake Silencio in 2011, where River is not in control of the spacesuit.

    "Things I didn't like The Flesh Amy ... How could she be kidnapped?"
    Amy was actually taken at some point in between "A Christmas Carol" and "The Impossible Astronaut". The Amy that goes to America with Rory is a Ganger.
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

    Doctor: "And what is the question?"

    Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

    Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".


  8. #8
    Brigadier General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,215

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    I still need to watch the last 2 Christmas specials in full(I've only partially watched both of them). I also need to watch series 6 a second time(maybe I'll like certain things/characters better the second time around). I'm not a River fan, and I hated the whole River is Amy and Rory's daughter and best friend growing up thing, so I've kinda avoided watching it again, even though I want to because there are things that I don't remember well(or at all).

    *other than the River stuff, I didn't have a problem with and actually really enjoyed the rest of the series(season).
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; March 14th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

  9. #9
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    5,924

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billz View Post
    I don't see why people are getting so confused, where it is really all very simple if you just properly think about it all.

    "Was this the same army!"
    Yes, but not at the same points in time. They are called the Clerics. The time when the Doctor, Amy and River all helped them fight off the Weeping Angels at the Byzantium crash site, was at a later point in the Clerics military history to when the Doctor, Amy, Rory, Strax, Jenny, Madame Vastra and Lorna were facing off against them and the Headless Monks at Demons Run.

    "was the Doctor really killed the first time we see this happen? Was it the little girl inside the space suit? I got the impression he knew who she was in this first episode ."
    Like cosmichobo said, the "first" time was the "second" time, just from different perspectives. Same event. Two different ways of seeing it. To alter what cosmichobo said though, both times where we see River shoot the Teselecta, she was River after her brainwashing was broken in "Let's Kill Hitler". The next time we see the Doctor confronting the spacesuit happens in 1969. First time from his perspective. It contained River in her little girl form before she regenerates into her Mels form in New York. This happens in '69, before Kovarian forces the older, newly regenerated River back into the space suit in the 51st century, and sends her back in time to Lake Silencio in 2011, where River is not in control of the spacesuit.

    "Things I didn't like The Flesh Amy ... How could she be kidnapped?"
    Amy was actually taken at some point in between "A Christmas Carol" and "The Impossible Astronaut". The Amy that goes to America with Rory is a Ganger.
    I'm with you. Yeah there are some things that still leave your head scratching a haven't been implicitly seen on screen, but but that I think is part of its genius.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

  10. #10
    Major Gen. Chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wall
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    I call the season a cheat

  11. #11
    Colonel Coco Pops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Enterprise NX 01
    Posts
    6,122

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I call the season a cheat
    Why's that?
    Playing as Johanna Darkwater. Friend me in game if you are online

    Hey I have an idea let's write a video game and put it online, add DLC and patches when needed and just put it out there. Who needs testing right? :/

    Let's call it Defiance


  12. #12
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    ]It was about as bad as the Big Bang... and both on par with The Last Time Lord (or whatever the Golum Doctor story was). Yes, VERY BAD fan wank
    Wrong, the Tesselecta revelation was great fun and a fantastic twist. When it comes to solving the riddle of The Doctor evading his fate, I've read far worse theories and ideas on this and other forums.

    Could SO very nearly give up on NewWho over this past season. And I've been a WHO fan all my life... 34 years...
    All that really proves is that you're starting to grow out of the show, which has been FULL of plot holes and even wonkier writing over the years, even during the "sacred" classic days. If season six nearly made you give up, heaven knows how you forgave the many years of this daft old show's existence...

  13. #13
    Captain
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,495

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Moffatt has written very clever/complex same-scene-from-different-angles stuff before (e.g. Coupling) and they are always worthy of rewatching. As mentioned above, given all the theories of how the beach shooting COULD have been done, the Tesselecta was ingenious. Does it REALLY work for an adult audience and close all the plot holes, perhaps not. But it does answer a number of others. Possibly.

    And, will we ever get "the question" - I hope not.

  14. #14
    Major Gen. Chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wall
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    I was expecting for a ganger to stand in for the doctor...

  15. #15
    Colonel Coco Pops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Enterprise NX 01
    Posts
    6,122

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I was expecting for a ganger to stand in for the doctor...
    You know I half expected that to be the "big reveal" at the end of the series when they put things right. That it was the ganger Doctor that got shot.
    Playing as Johanna Darkwater. Friend me in game if you are online

    Hey I have an idea let's write a video game and put it online, add DLC and patches when needed and just put it out there. Who needs testing right? :/

    Let's call it Defiance


  16. #16
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, AU
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Well the series gave us 2 options - the gangers, and the robot. Or Moffat's writing gave us a 3rd - some big reset button. (Ok, RTD gave us such history too).

    The Teselectra was far from satisfying however. How did it appear to being regenerating... And, considering how wooden it had been in its previous appearances, it's hard to accept given the usual fluidity of the 11th Doctor in the scenes leading up to the shooting.

    Fail, imo.

  17. #17
    Major Gen. Chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wall
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Well the series gave us 2 options - the gangers, and the robot. Or Moffat's writing gave us a 3rd - some big reset button. (Ok, RTD gave us such history too).

    The Teselectra was far from satisfying however. How did it appear to being regenerating... And, considering how wooden it had been in its previous appearances, it's hard to accept given the usual fluidity of the 11th Doctor in the scenes leading up to the shooting.

    Fail, imo.
    I hadn't thought of that...Did it show him "regenerating" the second time around? I don't remember...

  18. #18
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, AU
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I hadn't thought of that...Did it show him "regenerating" the second time around? I don't remember...
    Even if it didn't (pretty sure it did though), the "second time around" was just a revisitation on the first time... it wasn't a different event... As in, the Doctor didn't go back in time and change the events, it was just that we witnessed them from a different perspective... Um... I think...

    (I know the glowing pre-regenerative glow - and the fact the Teselectra shouldn't be able to mimick it, has been discussed elsewhere...)

  19. #19
    Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    19,735

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    i will admit i was slighty confused too but once i re watched evertyhing it all made sense. the only part that got me was the death scene

  20. #20
    Colonel Coco Pops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Enterprise NX 01
    Posts
    6,122

    Default Re: Ok series 6 my head wants to explode......Confused a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Even if it didn't (pretty sure it did though), the "second time around" was just a revisitation on the first time... it wasn't a different event... As in, the Doctor didn't go back in time and change the events, it was just that we witnessed them from a different perspective... Um... I think...

    (I know the glowing pre-regenerative glow - and the fact the Teselectra shouldn't be able to mimick it, has been discussed elsewhere...)

    I think I missed that discussion... Would have loved to have joined in that one

    The Tesselecta seems a rip off of the lame Eddie Murphy movie Meet Dave...... The movie had bad reviews so I never bothered to check it out.
    Playing as Johanna Darkwater. Friend me in game if you are online

    Hey I have an idea let's write a video game and put it online, add DLC and patches when needed and just put it out there. Who needs testing right? :/

    Let's call it Defiance


Similar Threads

  1. Should the bomb explode or Not
    By knowles2 in forum Alliances
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: April 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
  2. Why Would the Planet Explode?
    By apostrophe in forum Air, Part 1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
  4. P-90 or AA-12 when head to head with Wraith
    By turbo1889 in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: April 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
  5. I'm a little confused - bourne from the details about the 3rd series!!!
    By Maximus in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •