Stargate workings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate workings

I have no doubt that this has been posted before but a quick search and I couldnt find it..

An incomming gate, sometimes they light up, sometimes they spin, what are the "canon" rules on this and why does it differ..

A gate as it is dialing lights up the locked chevrons, as soon as the PoO is locked the wormhole "kawooshes" so presumably there is a gate out there at the same time that is lighting up or spinning so the two kawoosh at the same time

How does all this work, surely the gate doesnt know before the whole address is dialed that the wormhole is going to it, do all gates spin/light up as a gate is dialed and then as more of the address is dialed less gates light/spin..

It seems to me that if a gate has a DHD hooked up the symbol ring does not meted to be spun since the symbols are punched in. The spinning ring seems to be a manual input system should the DHD be disabled. You always see the gate ar the SGC spin when dialing out because there is no true DHD hooked up. The dialing computer at the base while having diagnostic capabilities that a DHD has is essentially dialing the gate manually. As for why the chevrons seem to light up simultaneously on another gate, I can't even try to explain the physics and engenering behind that other than the writers need a way to make people run and hide or get ready to defend the base before the kawoosh.

Comment

In terms of a canonical reason, it's a good question! A simple analogy would be dialing a phone. The person on the other end doesn't know you've dialed until you've put in all the numbers - the same can be applied for the Stargate. There doesn't, to me, seem to be any pattern. ie, it spins if it's a 'saved number' if you will (ie, from Tok'Ra homeworld) and doesn't spin if it's not!

I just take it as one of those things on the show to be honest.

Sometimes the gate will spin when receiving an incoming wormhole, sometimes it won't. Possibly a slight oversight with canon - there's an episode in Season 9 or 10 where they shut down an incoming wormhole. I remember almost spitting my beer out in shock when I heard that!
      Dr. Julian Bashir: What are you eating?
      O'Brien: I'm not eating; I'm chewing.
      Dr. Julian Bashir: Chewing what?
      O'Brien: Gum. It's traditional. I had the replicator create me some.
      Dr. Julian Bashir: They just chewed it?
      O'Brien: No, they infused it with flavor.
      Dr. Julian Bashir: What did you infuse it with?
      O'Brien: Scotch.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Take Me Out To The Holosuite

Comment

Originally posted by marktowler View Post
        In terms of a canonical reason, it's a good question! A simple analogy would be dialing a phone. The person on the other end doesn't know you've dialed until you've put in all the numbers - the same can be applied for the Stargate. There doesn't, to me, seem to be any pattern. ie, it spins if it's a 'saved number' if you will (ie, from Tok'Ra homeworld) and doesn't spin if it's not!

I just take it as one of those things on the show to be honest.
        There must also be a brief delay for the receiving gate to warn people around it to get out of the kawoosh zone.

Comment

Working...
        X