Thread: Should Jack have been in Unending

Default Should Jack have been in Unending

i was just thinking about it and Unending has everyone even Landry (in the field) and since Jack was the main character for 8 years and he has the best relationship with the Asgard why was he not there??

Default Re: Should Jack have been in Unending

yeah, he should have been. especially in the scene where they are saying goodbye to thor . i agree, it would have made sense if jack insisted in going with them and he went instead of landry. then him and sam could have hooked up

Probably RDA didn't want to do another episode. By the time the cancallation had come all his episodes were in or had finished production

Lieutenant Colonel

Richard Dean-Anderson signed on for five episodes for SG-1's tenth season. He was hoping for this big, recurring role that would give his character some resolution. When he arrived to film them, three were shifted over to Atlantis.

10-6 "200" (SG-1)
    3-6 "The Real World" (Atlantis)
    3-10 "The Return, Part 1" (Atlantis)
    3-11 "The Return, Part 2" (Atlantis)
    10-14 "The Shroud" (SG-1)

When the show was cancelled, all five episodes had already been filmed. The bottom line was that he either wasn't available due to the last-minute finale or they couldn't afford him. I'm going to guess it was the latter.

I don't believe his not returning had anything at all to do with money. He said in an interview that he had more than enough money, so it wasn't something he could be enticed with. The times he returned also didn't have to do with money, for the same reason. He went because he wanted to, and because he "missed" seeing the old gang. Of course, he did get paid for his appearances, but money was certainly not the issue.

He apparently has also said somewhere along the way that he was surprised he wasn't contacted to be in any way involved in the final episode.

Mostly it had to do with issues between Rob Cooper and himself. Coop wanted things his way and if that meant never mentioning RDA/O'Neill, so be it. He didn't care who he offended as long as he got to be in charge.

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

I guess it was the problem of avalibility/producer conflict. It's a shame when issues prevent the main star of the show from appearing because he should of been in Unending. Not only would that have provided the missing element the episode needed but it could of made it into something more. Granted I liked the episode but it felt like it was trying to end the show with the current characters instead of the people we've come to know and love. The producers should of just said "screw it" to the whole conflict of interest thing and personally beg to RDA for him to come back on SG1 for the last episode; I mean he's RDA, he was an essential part of SG1 right? Right?

Considering it was the last episode; yes. Would I have wanted him in it? I honestly don't know. Seasons nine and ten were a major disappointment to me so they probably would have ruined it anyway and the episode itself didn't really do anything for me, so if they'd managed to get him in it I would have been 'forced' to rewatch it since I like his character.
    This year's Sam & Jack Secret Santa gifts have to be submitted by December 19.

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. Current WIP: Soldier On (AO3) -> ch 12

I think the least they could have done was mention his name. As others have said, one would think that Thor might have mentioned his name, given how much Thor and the Asgard thought of Jack.

Or even had Sam say something about how General O'Neill would feel about the loss of Thor and the Asgard.

I don't really see the point of mentioning Jack's feelings for the Asgard. It seems largely unimportant. The Asgard are smart and seemed pretty informed of US politics. Their S9 and S10 interactions with them should of made them aware of his promotion.

Got to say, this never occurred to me as a problem until reading it here. I adjusted to the casting changes during season nine. It would have felt false to me to suddenly insert O'Neill into command of the ship and SG-1 for the final episode.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I don't really see the point of mentioning Jack's feelings for the Asgard. It seems largely unimportant. The Asgard are smart and seemed pretty informed of US politics. Their S9 and S10 interactions with them should of made them aware of his promotion.
    there were eps in S8 were the found out he was promoted to Brig Gen

Probie

Absolutely Jack should have been in Unending. There were so many things left unsaid and undone. It leaves a devoted fan with a bad taste for the francise.

No-one should have been in Unending. They'd be much better off without it ever existing.

Banner By JME2

At the end it didn't exist. Except for Teal'c's skunk stripe and the end of the Asguard.
    (())

I'd have preferred Jack too. But they had already used up RDA's 5 eppy contract - 3 on SGA. They sure weren't going to throw away money to get a guest of RDA's stature on a series ender. Not when they already had someone under contract they could use.

But I'd have preferred no Vala or Mitchell either so either way I wasn't impressed. After 200 I figured I might as well watch the rest of the train wreck.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    But they had already used up RDA's 5 eppy contract - 3 on SGA. They sure weren't going to throw away money to get a guest of RDA's stature on a series ender. Not when they already had someone under contract they could use.
    This. Regardless of whether three episodes had been on SGA or not, his five episodes had been filmed before cancellation was announced. Getting him back for the finale would have been expensive, and I would imagine the network simply didn't want to spend the extra money. Simple, no?

Personally, I didn't mind that he wasn't in the finale, given that he pops up in Continuum. Had there not been movies following the finale, then I'd have been upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    This. Regardless of whether three episodes had been on SGA or not, his five episodes had been filmed before cancellation was announced. Getting him back for the finale would have been expensive, and I would imagine the network simply didn't want to spend the extra money. Simple, no?

Personally, I didn't mind that he wasn't in the finale, given that he pops up in Continuum. Had there not been movies following the finale, then I'd have been upset.
    Sorry, but I was under the impression that Unending hadn't been filmed, and they had enough time to write a finale episode. Hence 'Unending'.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Sorry, but I was under the impression that Unending hadn't been filmed, and they had enough time to write a finale episode. Hence 'Unending'.
    True but by the time the cancellation they had already entered production of the five episodes RDA was under contract for. To put him Unending would have required an additional contract and additional money if they even had enough to spare. End of the season dictates the budget was probably getting stretched

as hedwig said i don't think it had anything to do with money. from interviews i saw i got the impression that RDA would have done the episode for limited pay. but at least he was in contiuum which in my mind is the series finale.

while i liked unending the first time i watched it, i have yet to see it again and i don't plan on watching it again either.