Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are future episodes directly related to the Hoffan drug, but I'm not going to spoil you with confirmation or any details.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Thanks. Just had some time and watched Storm and Eye. I found them quite boring even with that Golya character who speaks like Leonard Nimoy. Unlike the previous episodes that had some strong ethical and human elements, these episodes seemed like some filler with violence.
      Young Sora didn't really belong in the story at all, especially as an assistant commander at barely 20 years old (which is not very realistic) and the fight with Teyla wasn't my cup of tea. And Alden Ford also seemed like a college kid in the puddle jumper with that portion of the story as boring as Shepard's running around endlessly in the city.

But I don't hold it against Snowman37, who is doing a good job of helping along on the episodes. ;-)

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
      There are future episodes directly related to the Hoffan drug, but I'm not going to spoil you with confirmation or any details.

Comment

Did you get to see "Underground" and "Home?" "The Storm" and "The Eye" are a follow up to "Underground" and play out with more emotional weight if you'd seen the prior episode. "Underground," "The Storm," and "The Eye" are a trilogy of episodes that set up a human nemesis to the Atlantis Expedition. The Geneii. They'll be recurring villains up until the third season. They kind'a dropped off the radar after that. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the storm two-parter. It was one of my favorite stories from the first season. Granted, I love storm-based stories in general, and I loved seeing the city nearly taken by the Geneii. Weir and McKay as prisoners with John Sheppard running about the city... it all reminded me of the movie Die Hard which is probably what the writers were going for.

Though "The Defiant One" features a few gross scenes, it's worth seeing. Basically, you see one or two people fed on by a Wraith, but that's it. I don't want to say more, because it will spoil the suspense at the beginning of the episode. This one's all about thrills and chills.

Comment

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention them. I saw them as well. I wasn't ctazy about Home, and found Storm and Eye boring as I mentioned.

Comment

"Home" works if you don't immediately figure out they aren't back home on Earth. I also liked that the episode featured Don S. Davis as General Hammond, even if it's just an alien impersonation. It was still fun to see Davis in his only guest appearance on Atlantis.

Comment

Yes, I agree. However it made me wonder at that stage whether in fact it was SGC who supervised Atlantis directly, or whether it was the Pentagon and thereafter O'Neill at Homeworld Security. I realize it's sort of moot because contact with Atlantis was apparently rather sparse.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              "Home" works if you don't immediately figure out they aren't back home on Earth. I also liked that the episode featured Don S. Davis as General Hammond, even if it's just an alien impersonation. It was still fun to see Davis in his only guest appearance on Atlantis.

Comment

Sparse? There's been no contact at all. The first season of Atlantis aired parallel to SG-1's eighth season. At the time, General O'Neill was running the SGC while General Hammond was running Homeworld Security. That's why General Hammond was there, debriefing everyone. What lead me to clue in that something was off was that General Hammond maintained a presence at the base, and General O'Neill was no where to be seen. I kept wondering about that as the characters were picking up on what was going on. Interestingly, I wonder why they never asked Hammond where O'Neill was?

Comment

Hi, Snowman37. Just saw the Defiant One. How was it that the Wraith awoke after 10,000 years, and isn't Shepard directly responsible for the deaths of his two crew members? And since they came to the planet to investigate the ship, why did they just leave now that the Wraith was dead?

It made me think about how careless SG personnel can be, whereby they are often reckless and negligent in terms of facing serious dangers. We saw it often in SG1. We see it in SGA as well.

If the gross factor is all that's keeping you from watching, I will list episodes where you might want to fast forward over a gross scene. How does that sound? Since you've just started, I'll just go over the first season. First off, I assume you've seen "Thirty Eight Minutes" where Sheppard had the bug on his beck? Moving past that...

Episode 5: Suspicion
                  One of the Athosians is suspected of being a spy for the Wraith. The Wraith do show up briefly, but I don't there were any gross scenes featured. Unless the Wraith simply appearing counts as gross. It's mostly a who's the spy story, and a good one at that.

Episode 6: Childhood's End
                  This one's a fun, independent story. Nothing gross that I can recall.

Episode 7: Poisoning the Well
                  This episode deals with Dr. Beckett helping a people develop a method to make them immune to being fed on by the Wraith. I don't want to say more, because it will spoil the plot. There is one scene that may or may not be gross. Just watch. It's not what you think, and you'll be asking yourself what just happened!

Episode 8: Underground
                  This episode introduces a potential ally who shifts back and forth between friend and foe depending on the episode. The Wraith do appear, but I can't remember if anyone was fed upon.

Episode 9: Home
                  Atlantis finally makes a connection to Earth, sending a few representatives home... or did they? This was a very special episode. It also stands as the only episode where Don S. Davis guest starred as General Hammond.

Episodes 10&11: The Storm / The Eye
                  The big, mid-season two-parter! Aside from people getting shot and one person's arm getting cut, nothing gross. You'd expect the big mid-season two-parter to be all about the Wraith, but the writers went an entirely different direction. For me, this was the show's best story prior to the final episodes (of the season).

Episode 12: The Defiant One
                  This one is a stand-alone episode, meaning it's not really followed up on. It deals with Sheppard and McKay pitted against an ancient Wraith. There is one, maybe two gross scenes. It's a highlight, because it shows just how dangerous the Wraith are, but it also shows just how resourceful Sheppard is.

Episode 13: Hot Zone
                  Every science-fiction show has to do an outbreak episode, right? This one doesn't disappoint. The grossest thing you will see is a little blood out of someone's nose, or something like that.

Episode 14: Sanctuary
                  Nothing gross here, you'll love this episode. It's best if I say no more.

Episode 15: Before I Sleep
                  Remember the Time Jumper that SG-1 found? This episode explores it's origin!

Episode 16: The Brotherhood
                  I don't recall anything gross in this episode.

Episode 17: Letters from Pegasus
                  The Wraith are coming! This episode is a clip show and mostly features the characters making goodbye video diaries to their families and friends. Personally, I'd say you can skip this episode. However, it's worth seeing if you're really invested with the cast.

Episode 18: The Gift
                  This episode explores Teyla's ability to sense the Wraith. The episode is high on frights, but I don't recall anything gross being displayed.

Episodes 19&20: The Siege, Parts 1&2
                  It's the two-part season finale. The Wraith besiege Atlantis! Naturally, you're going to see some Wraith action, which means there's bound to be some gross scenes.

I hope this assessment helps. Oh, I almost forgot. If you're wondering when this season takes place in regards to SG-1, it's during that show's 8th season. "Rising" began after "New Order, Part 2," and the Atlantis finale takes place right after SG-1's "Moebius, Part 2."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                    Hi, Snowman37. Just saw the Defiant One. How was it that the Wraith awoke after 10,000 years, and isn't Shepard directly responsible for the deaths of his two crew members? And since they came to the planet to investigate the ship, why did they just leave now that the Wraith was dead?
                    Presumably, Sheppard and friends poking around the ship woke the lone Wraith. As for being responsible for the deaths of the two scientists, Sheppard was in charge, so he's absolutely responsible. Been a while since I've seen the episode, but didn't they expect the ship to be a ghost ship? As for leaving, there was an undetectable Wraith, and Sheppard got his butt kicked. No reason to stick around, but... who's to say a science team wasn't sent back later on?

Comment

Well, we run in to the usual cases of recklessness, thoughtlessness and negligence. Who in their right mind would leave to people alone without proper weapons in an unknown vessel on an unknown unpopulated planet while exploring some other area. This is a recurrent "theme" in the SG saga. It led to many unnecessary deaths and problems.
                      Same thing in the case of Hot Zone. Exploring unknown areas of Atlantis without a Hazmat suit? They were just inviting trouble. By the way, do we ever find out who planted the nanite virus on Atlantis? Human replicators? Not the equivalent of the goa'uld or the Ori, that's for sure. They need humans. Not Wraith.

Comment

Well, we run in to the usual cases of recklessness, thoughtlessness and negligence. Who in their right mind would leave to people alone without proper weapons in an unknown vessel on an unknown unpopulated planet while exploring some other area. This is a recurrent "theme" in the SG saga. It led to many unnecessary deaths and problems.
                        Chalk it up to bad writing. Where as SG-1 was more realistic in regards to team dynamics, the writers took Atlantis less serious and thus presented far more unrealistic situations such as the one you cited.

Same thing in the case of Hot Zone. Exploring unknown areas of Atlantis without a Hazmat suit? They were just inviting trouble. By the way, do we ever find out who planted the nanite virus on Atlantis? Human replicators? Not the equivalent of the goa'uld or the Ori, that's for sure. They need humans. Not Wraith.
                        Don't get me started on the EMP. How were the radios still working? They would have been fried instantly. Though the computers were all turned off, they were still connected to the internal batteries. Everything electrical brought from Earth that wasn't shielded would have been destroyed instantly. Anyone who knows anything about EMP would know this. The writers didn't bother to research this, and it takes the "science" out of science-fiction. As for who planted the nanite virus, you'll find out early on in the third season.

Comment

Thanks as usual, Snowman.
                          But the dynamics of recklessness happened in SG1 as well. "Oh! What's this?" "Don't touch it!" "AGGHHH!!" You know how it goes. Going down a tunnel in Guatemala to find what Arubis was looking for.......crawling around dark places without proper protection......taking unncessary risks......

Heck, you go to an earth-like planet but have no idea what kind of viruses and bacteria might be there that could be lethal. I wouldn't let anyone travel through the stargate without wearing a hazmat suit. But of course that would be lousy TV and I accept that.

But even theoretically. Would you eat something made in some underground protective cavern by some race of people at war? Would you drink the water on that planet or eat their fruit? I sure wouldn't! Of course that would make me a totally unsuitable traveler through the Stargate.

Chalk it up to bad writing. Where as SG-1 was more realistic in regards to team dynamics, the writers took Atlantis less serious and thus presented far more unrealistic situations such as the one you cited.

Don't get me started on the EMP. How were the radios still working? They would have been fried instantly. Though the computers were all turned off, they were still connected to the internal batteries. Everything electrical brought from Earth that wasn't shielded would have been destroyed instantly. Anyone who knows anything about EMP would know this. The writers didn't bother to research this, and it takes the "science" out of science-fiction. As for who planted the nanite virus, you'll find out early on in the third season.

Comment

Why did the writers take SGA less seriously? Were they just satisfied that they had McKay as a montage of Carter and Jackson, with Teyla as the female version of Teal'c, and Shepard the better version of O'Neill than Cameron Mitchell??

Comment

I think some of TPTB took SGA as seriously (at times) as they did the last two seasons of SG1. But that's another thread.
                              sigpic

Comment

I just watched Sanctuary. I don't think it was as good as Maternal Instinct on SG1. I was waiting for Chaya to reveal that she was Oma Desala or Anubis, and was wondering whether Shepard would mention Daniel Jackson and the haricissus. I guess it's a bit of a "recycled" episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X