This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successor to Weir on Antarctica Base?

I just started watched SGA. Who succeeded Dr. Weir at the Antarctica base when she went to Atlantis, and how did it happen that her career changed so fast, i.e. 3 episodes as commander at SGC, and a brief stint in Antarctica?

That is a question that cannot be answered. Weir was given command of the Atlantis expedition meant to travel to the 'lost city'. Expedition members were present at the Antarctic facility performing research towards that task, while also gaining better understanding of Ancient technology.

Comment

Does it really matter? The outpost is nothing compared to the city itself...
      sigpic

Comment

Apparently the crossover with some SG1 is mostly on the SGA side rather than the SG1 side. From seasons 8-10 there was almost no discussion of anything to do with Atlantis, the Wraith etc. even in the context of dealing with the Ori in other places. I suppose this is because the command structure for Antarctica and Atlantis went through Homeworld Security and had nothing to do with the SGC.
        However, with all that was going on, I am surprised there was no crossover on the SG1 side.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          Apparently the crossover with some SG1 is mostly on the SGA side rather than the SG1 side. From seasons 8-10 there was almost no discussion of anything to do with Atlantis, the Wraith etc. even in the context of dealing with the Ori in other places. I suppose this is because the command structure for Antarctica and Atlantis went through Homeworld Security and had nothing to do with the SGC.
          However, with all that was going on, I am surprised there was no crossover on the SG1 side.
          No discussion of anything to do with Atlantis? I think you might have missed a few episodes. In no episode is it stated Atlantis falls under the umbrella of Home World Security. Did you miss every instance of Atlantis checking in with the SGC?

Comment

Technically, Atlantis doesn't have anything to do with any entity at all.

Spoiler:
            at least not in the first season, when they are cut off

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
            No discussion of anything to do with Atlantis? I think you might have missed a few episodes. In no episode is it stated Atlantis falls under the umbrella of Home World Security. Did you miss every instance of Atlantis checking in with the SGC?
            sigpic

Comment

Boy, those Wraith make the Goa'uld tame darlings by comparison.

Comment

I just started watched SGA. Who succeeded Dr. Weir at the Antarctica base when she went to Atlantis, and how did it happen that her career changed so fast, i.e. 3 episodes as commander at SGC, and a brief stint in Antarctica?
                The Antarctic outpost was never shown after SGA's first episode. Quite simply, Weir's successor was never revealed. As for her career path... She was put in charge of the SGC in "Lost City." She was in command for the three months between that episode and "New Order, Parts 1&2." Everyone was impressed with her leadership, so with O'Neill given command of the SGC, she was shipped off to the Antarctic outpost. Naturally, she'd be chosen as the civilian leader of the Atlantis Expedition due to her familiarity with the outpost. Pretty much everyone working on the outpost was set to Atlantis.

There were crossovers on SG-1's side, but they were more subtle. As you know, "Lost City" and "New Order" were the lead in to Atlantis's series premiere. After that, crossovers include...

Season 8 featured three, perhaps four crossover episodes. I'm discounting "New Order," as those two episodes preceded the premiere of Atlantis.

Prometheus Unbound: Jackson joins Hammond on the Prometheus in an attempt to reach Atlantis who's expedition never contacted Earth after their departure. Unfortunately, the ship never made it thanks to Vala. Would you count this as a crossover?

It's Good to be King: SG-1 finds a time-traveling Puddle Jumper. This plays out as a sequel to SGA's "Before I Sleep," though it aired first. When you see that episode, you'll get the origin of the time jumper.

Moebius: SG-1 uses the time jumper to retrieve a ZPM from ancient Egypt to take to Atlantis via Daedalus, Earth's second starship. The ZPM and the Daedalus show up in SGA's second season premiere. The time jumper's use is a throw back to "It's Good to be King," the sequel to "Before I Sleep." McKay also appears briefly in both episodes. Granted, it's an alternate-timeline McKay who never went to Atlantis. I wonder, does that count as a crossover, given he originated on SG-1?

Season 9: Though references are made to the spin-off series, there were no crossover episodes. I think this is because the show was so focused on retooling itself.

Season 10 really only featured one crossover episode: "The Pegasus Project." It almost felt like an Atlantis episode, guest starring SG-1. I really liked how this played out. They managed to bring over almost the entire Atlantis cast except for Beckett, Teyla, and Ronan. There was also an alternate reality McKay in "The Road Not Taken," but as before, I don't know if this would count as a crossover, given he originated on SG-1.

Though crossovers were minimal on the SG-1 side of the coin, references were often. I think it was a given that there would be more crossovers on the Atlantis side of the coin due to going back to Earth, needing resources, ships being sent over to help fight the Wraith, and so on. Back on Earth, the SGC really didn't need any help from Atlantis, thus crossovers rarely happened.

As for who the Atlantis Expedition answers to... I got the impression that Atlantis was considered an equal to the SGC. However, the expedition answers to the IOA (International Observation Administration?) instead of the U.S. Air Force.

As for the Wraith making the Goa'uld seem tame, agreed. haha

How far into the show are you?

Comment

Spoilers for Series Finale, they're not huge, but I'll tag anyway.

Spoiler:
                  The base doesn't exist anymore, the Antarctic Treaty bans the use military activity in the Antarctic. Therefore, the drones and Chair had to be moved. Considering the chair was the most valuable piece there, they most likely packed up everything, then moved out. The base would not be necessary anymore, which means no more commander.

Well, she was already a "famous" diplomat. She was handpicked by the President to head the SGC. Considering the unique technology on the Antarctic Base, it would only be logical to place it under the purview of the SGC. And when the Atlantis expidition started, it was an international Expidition. Clearly someone with the ability to command the military and the civilians, who would command the respect of both would be needed. Considering she did head the most top secret military base in the US up to that point, it would, again, seem logical to give the job of a conciliator, leader, and commander to someone that had done all three. Elizabeth Weir.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Yes, you're right. I missed some episodes and forgot about the trip to Atlantis in Season 10 which I did see. Do you mean that Antarctica was abandoned when Atlantis was begun? I have only started watching Atlantis and the element that is missing is "normal life" on Earth which I like as part of SG1. And as far as the Wraith are concerned I consider them totally disgusting. The goa'uld are good enemies, but the Wraith are much worse, absolutely disgusting........Even the Ori priors are mild compared to them!

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    The Antarctic outpost was never shown after SGA's first episode. Quite simply, Weir's successor was never revealed. As for her career path... She was put in charge of the SGC in "Lost City." She was in command for the three months between that episode and "New Order, Parts 1&2." Everyone was impressed with her leadership, so with O'Neill given command of the SGC, she was shipped off to the Antarctic outpost. Naturally, she'd be chosen as the civilian leader of the Atlantis Expedition due to her familiarity with the outpost. Pretty much everyone working on the outpost was set to Atlantis.

There were crossovers on SG-1's side, but they were more subtle. As you know, "Lost City" and "New Order" were the lead in to Atlantis's series premiere. After that, crossovers include...

Season 8 featured three, perhaps four crossover episodes. I'm discounting "New Order," as those two episodes preceded the premiere of Atlantis.

Prometheus Unbound: Jackson joins Hammond on the Prometheus in an attempt to reach Atlantis who's expedition never contacted Earth after their departure. Unfortunately, the ship never made it thanks to Vala. Would you count this as a crossover?

It's Good to be King: SG-1 finds a time-traveling Puddle Jumper. This plays out as a sequel to SGA's "Before I Sleep," though it aired first. When you see that episode, you'll get the origin of the time jumper.

Moebius: SG-1 uses the time jumper to retrieve a ZPM from ancient Egypt to take to Atlantis via Daedalus, Earth's second starship. The ZPM and the Daedalus show up in SGA's second season premiere. The time jumper's use is a throw back to "It's Good to be King," the sequel to "Before I Sleep." McKay also appears briefly in both episodes. Granted, it's an alternate-timeline McKay who never went to Atlantis. I wonder, does that count as a crossover, given he originated on SG-1?

Season 9: Though references are made to the spin-off series, there were no crossover episodes. I think this is because the show was so focused on retooling itself.

Season 10 really only featured one crossover episode: "The Pegasus Project." It almost felt like an Atlantis episode, guest starring SG-1. I really liked how this played out. They managed to bring over almost the entire Atlantis cast except for Beckett, Teyla, and Ronan. There was also an alternate reality McKay in "The Road Not Taken," but as before, I don't know if this would count as a crossover, given he originated on SG-1.

Though crossovers were minimal on the SG-1 side of the coin, references were often. I think it was a given that there would be more crossovers on the Atlantis side of the coin due to going back to Earth, needing resources, ships being sent over to help fight the Wraith, and so on. Back on Earth, the SGC really didn't need any help from Atlantis, thus crossovers rarely happened.

As for who the Atlantis Expedition answers to... I got the impression that Atlantis was considered an equal to the SGC. However, the expedition answers to the IOA (International Observation Administration?) instead of the U.S. Air Force.

As for the Wraith making the Goa'uld seem tame, agreed. haha

How far into the show are you?

Comment

Yes, you're right. I missed some episodes and forgot about the trip to Atlantis in Season 10 which I did see. Do you mean that Antarctica was abandoned when Atlantis was begun? I have only started watching Atlantis and the element that is missing is "normal life" on Earth which I like as part of SG1.
                      Not abandoned, but likely restaffed after mostly everyone left for Atlantis. The outpost is mentioned on SG-1 now and then up until the end of the series. It's also referenced in both movies. As for it's ultimate fate... we'll wait until you see the series finale before touching on that point. There will be Earth-centric episodes later on. The isolated premise is temporary. Remember, Earth need only a ZPM or a starship to aide Atlantis. Given time, that eventually happens. When and how, well... keep watching.

And as far as the Wraith are concerned I consider them totally disgusting. The goa'uld are good enemies, but the Wraith are much worse, absolutely disgusting........Even the Ori priors are mild compared to them!
                      That's why I like the Wraith so much. Finally, a science-fiction show actually puts out a scary villain.

Comment

probably homeworld command or NORAD or UN but remember S8 New Order (i think that is the first ep) they had to get Jack out becasue he was in violation of the Antarctic treaty so then the base would be as well
                        sigpic
                        Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

I have only started watching Atlantis and the element that is missing is "normal life" on Earth which I like as part of SG1.
                          That's because they're not on Earth. And they can't have the 'normal life' side of things because they're stuck, for the most part, in a floating city in the middle of a vast ocean. It's not like they can just nip out for a cappuccino at Starbucks.

And as far as the Wraith are concerned I consider them totally disgusting.
                          Don't be so wraithist!

OK, no more puns, I promise.

The goa'uld are good enemies, but the Wraith are much worse, absolutely disgusting........Even the Ori priors are mild compared to them!
                          I think the Wraith are great because they have something other SG enemies don't; proper motive. The Goa'uld are pushing it a bit. Yes, they need hosts to live in, but enslaving human worlds and posing as gods... meh. And the Ori/Priors? Even worse. The Wraith threat is far more immediate. There's no being taken host and waiting for an Asgard or Tok'ra to get the symbiote out of your head so that you can continue your normal life. On the contrary. You die. Quickly and painfully. Or sometimes slowly and painfully.

What's not to like?
                          Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

I consider myself a Wraithist. I can't watch on in SGA because they are so disgusting. I guess I am a wallflower. Plus unlike SGA at least SG1 has some connection still to ordinary life on Earth, whereas Atlantis is way out in the middle of nowhere......

Comment

Perhaps you can claim to be the first person suffering from Wraith-phobia. I would name the condition quickly, were I you, and get credit for it!

Just out of fatal curiosity, what about them do you find most disgusting? Is it their physical appearance (they do look a bit corpse-like, don't they?) or more the fact that they suck the life from your body through a feeding organ in their hand?
                              Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Working...
                              X