Time Dilation Question (note: spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    I have finally seen the last episode of SG1, Unending. However I don't understand exactly how the time dilation worked and why Teal'c had to stay older. If Teal'c could stay within a shield while everything else reversed in time, why couldn't they simply have prepared a video with all relevant information like in Moebius and let it be excluded from the time reversal?
    There wasn't time. There was only seconds to minutes for the Asgard core to be disconnected. Someone had to bolt for Carter, tell her to stop, pass the program, and tell her to execute it immediately. Teal'c was the logical choice. I wish they'd made a better effort to make him look fifty years older. One gray stripe in his hair didn't cut it for me. If they'd made his hair speckled gray all over, that would have been more believable.

And did the dilation signify that within the span of one second fifty full years passed as it would in normal time? Can one imagine why it took Sam 50 years to figure out how to do it?
    The premise was that for once, the team had finally lost and would eventually perish. It wasn't until the very end that Carter had finally found a solution. Perhaps it never occurred to her to disconnect the Asgard core? Perhaps it took her decades to learn how? I haven't seen the episode since 2007, so I really don't remember this aspect.

The jump from three months to 20 years seemed rather abrupt when it brought on the death of Landry, and then another jump of 30 more years. I guess while Daniel was matched up with Vala Cameron must have been matched up with Sam, but Teal'c.......???
    Originally, they were only suppose to age 20-30 years, but the makeup department made everyone look much older for the final time period. They changed it to 50 years on set to compensate.

Comment

So the acceleration was such that within 1 second of normal time 50 years inside the dilation went by?

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
      If you are dilating time, one can surmise that time inside of the field can either be accelerated or decelerated.

Comment

If accelerated, yes.

Comment

Working...
        X