Time Dilation Question (note: spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Dilation Question (note: spoilers)

I have finally seen the last episode of SG1, Unending. However I don't understand exactly how the time dilation worked and why Teal'c had to stay older. If Teal'c could stay within a shield while everything else reversed in time, why couldn't they simply have prepared a video with all relevant information like in Moebius and let it be excluded from the time reversal?

And did the dilation signify that within the span of one second fifty full years passed as it would in normal time? Can one imagine why it took Sam 50 years to figure out how to do it?

The jump from three months to 20 years seemed rather abrupt when it brought on the death of Landry, and then another jump of 30 more years. I guess while Daniel was matched up with Vala Cameron must have been matched up with Sam, but Teal'c.......???

Do you recall the time crunch in regards to severing the core from Odessey's systems? Where would the time to watch a video have been found?

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand. Once they decided to perform the reversal, the only thing they needed from Teal'c was not to allow them to repeat the history of the encounter with the Ori ship. That could have been put into a video and preserved that they could have watched after going back in time.

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
      Do you recall the time crunch in regards to severing the core from Odessey's systems? Where would the time to watch a video have been found?

Comment

While under attack, where would the time have been found to watch this video?

Comment

But the video would have been available after escaping the Ori ship and reentering hyperspace.
          Just like Teal'c was available. And what would have been so terrible for Teal'c to tell them all what happened?
          WHo decided that Teal'c should not recount some or all of what happened?

While under attack, where would the time have been found to watch this video?

Comment

I believe it was only supposed to take them (Sam) a decade or so, but when they came out of makeup they were much older so they adjusted the script to match their looks.

AlexanderD is right; the moment they reversed time they had to jump into hyperspace right away to prevent being blasted out of space (by the Ori weapons fire) while disconnecting the Asgard core to prevent the Ori ship from tracking them. If Teal'c hadn't stopped Sam with his extra knowledge the exact same thing would have happened again and they would have been stuck for another 50 years or so.

There would have been no time to watch a video recording with instructions because they had to act right away. Also, we don't know if they can even save electronic data from the time reversal like they could save Teal'c and his memory.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

when Teal'c was excluded from the reversal, he barely stopped Carter from engaging the TDF. a video would simply not have been noticed, nor would it have done the job.

Teal'c does remember all of what happened. it has no relevance however: people hooked up with people because they were on a ship, stuck, not necessarily because they loved eachother

Comment

Sorry, I take back my question. I forgot about that part, that Teal'c had to be available to stop her and nothing else could have done it. However, hew was standing still during the process, so how did he have time to get over to her and stop her?

Originally posted by fems View Post
                I believe it was only supposed to take them (Sam) a decade or so, but when they came out of makeup they were much older so they adjusted the script to match their looks.

AlexanderD is right; the moment they reversed time they had to jump into hyperspace right away to prevent being blasted out of space (by the Ori weapons fire) while disconnecting the Asgard core to prevent the Ori ship from tracking them. If Teal'c hadn't stopped Sam with his extra knowledge the exact same thing would have happened again and they would have been stuck for another 50 years or so.

There would have been no time to watch a video recording with instructions because they had to act right away. Also, we don't know if they can even save electronic data from the time reversal like they could save Teal'c and his memory.

Comment

However, hew was standing still during the process, so how did he have time to get over to her and stop her?
                  he arrived just a bit earlier than when she engaged the TDF. so he arrives, gets to carter and stops her.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

Actually, we do know that electronic data storage was possible. If you'll remember, the program Carter wrote for quick core disconnect was stored on a crystal. On arrival in the core room, Teal'c had that in his hand.

Comment

Just to clarify again. The fifty years in the dilation means that for the rest of the universe, including Earth the entire span of those 50 years was only literally ONE second? Such that when they returned back to the SGC with Landry resurrected nothing unusual had happened beyond their encounter with the Ori from which they escaped into hyperspace?
                      On the other hand, I think I missed something. If the Ori were able to track them because of the Asgard technology, did Sam avoid that by disconnecting the Asgard information? Is that what you are referring to about what was on the crystal?

Comment

Actually, we do know that electronic data storage was possible. If you'll remember, the program Carter wrote for quick core disconnect was stored on a crystal. On arrival in the core room, Teal'c had that in his hand.
                        Right, forgot about that. I've only seen the ep once, a couple of years ago Not one of my favorites, to say the least.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Ok, think of a puddle of water. Now, take a drop of oil, and add it to that puddle. You'll notice the drop of oil remains seperate from the surrounding water. Within that oil droplet, time is passing at a greatly accelerated rate. In the surrounding water, time is passing as normal. Make sense? Entire lifetimes could be lived within that drop of oil, and if accelerated to a high enough degree make it seem as if time in the surrounding water was standing still.

The Asgard Core was giving off some type of traceable emission. This core was networked into every system on the ship. The data crystal severed that network, allowing for the core to be taken offline. This would presumably cease any traceable emissions.

Comment

How would that differ from the situation involving Fifth and the replicators when they were frozen INSIDE the time dilation?

Ok, think of a puddle of water. Now, take a drop of oil, and add it to that puddle. You'll notice the drop of oil remains seperate from the surrounding water. Within that oil droplet, time is passing at a greatly accelerated rate. In the surrounding water, time is passing as normal. Make sense? Entire lifetimes could be lived within that drop of oil, and if accelerated to a high enough degree make it seem as if time in the surrounding water was standing still.

The Asgard Core was giving off some type of traceable emission. This core was networked into every system on the ship. The data crystal severed that network, allowing for the core to be taken offline. This would presumably cease any traceable emissions.

Comment

If you are dilating time, one can surmise that time inside of the field can either be accelerated or decelerated.

Comment

Working...
                              X