Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think the Stargate program should be revealed to the people of Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you think the Stargate program should be revealed to the people of Earth?

I think it should

yes, then people know who to blame for the zombie apocalypse
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Absolutely....it would be a delicious political and religious nightmare...maybe even World War III.
      I'd love to watch that.

Comment

If that happens then one of the things making SG-1 special is gone. A highly-trained team going on covert missions to other worlds.....sometimes when danger is at Earth's doorstep we have to cover up the fact that the entire planet could be doomed. A big part of the driving force is this concept and you can't go back once you do. If this were real life then it would more than likely invoke mass panic in a strained world economy and create conflict between countries or cultures based on how succesful these cultures have been on other planets. In tv world it just takes away the "special" unique factor in what these covert missions require.

Comment

It would have happened had the third SG-1 movie script not been shelved. Of all the episodes (including the two post-series movies), the best timing would have been "Lost City." Perhaps sometime in Season 8 with the world having seen Anubis's fleet of alien ships and demanding for answers.

Alternatively, "Enemy at the Gate" (Atlantis finale) could have been expanded into a two-hour finale. Don't ya think Atlantis coming down hot through Earth's atmosphere in broad daylight would have been noticed? I can't think of a better time, in terms of story, for the whole thing to go public. Can you?

Comment

Disclosure would be a volatile issue at best. We're a long view taken, and the populace eased into certain amounts of information over a number of years, it could be done without a major backlash. At this point though, any all in one shot disclosure effort would generate extreme amounts of backlash, scandal, and possible instability. The time to disclose the program in one shot has passed, and that opportunity lost is a shame.

Comment

That's why I think it only could have worked in "Lost City" or "Enemy at the Gate" when Earth came within a hair of a full on alien invasion. Wouldn't that be grounds for disclosure?

Comment

Lost City more so than EATG in my eyes.

Comment

I would go the other way, personally. I would make the SCG completely separate from Earth, similar to the organization in MiB, so that Earth could develop naturally while still being protected. Set up on the new moon base, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                    Lost City more so than EATG in my eyes.
                    How so? Regardless of which would be the better episode, how do you miss a fleet of flying pyramids in orbit? How do you miss a giant, flying mountain combating a giant, flying city in the day sky?

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    I would go the other way, personally. I would make the SCG completely separate from Earth, similar to the organization in MiB, so that Earth could develop naturally while still being protected. Set up on the new moon base, maybe?
                    The moon would be a poor location due to no atmosphere, low gravity, and no means to support life outside of the city's shield. You'd be running shields and life support constantly, might as well have the city in a distant part of the solar system. Na... Set Atlantis down on a close planet, such as Abydos (I know it was destroyed, at least the pyramid). Use the SGC to get to Atlantis, then use Atlantis as the SGC proper. No one gates directly to Earth, they always gate to Atlantis, and then to Earth from there. Safe, no?

Comment

maybe the "backlash" and the "scandal" would be justified, this is why I want the Stargate program outed, it's always seemed kind arrogant and presumptuous of the Stargate program to act on our behalf without out our knowledge because we "can't handle it".... like every body who doesn't work for the air force is some how incapable of understanding the situation and making decisions

Comment

yes it should be revealed. in fact, the ideal revelation moment has already passed

Comment

People have enough things to worry about just on this planet, can you imagine the reaction to news that there are humans as well as aliens scattered throughout not only the galaxy, but also in at least one other galaxy? They would be angry that they had never known when the planet was in danger.

Not to mention the nations that would want in on the program...It was difficult with the few nations who are now aware of the program, can you imagine the rest of the fairly major powers wanting in?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                            People have enough things to worry about just on this planet, can you imagine the reaction to news that there are humans as well as aliens scattered throughout not only the galaxy, but also in at least one other galaxy? They would be angry that they had never known when the planet was in danger.

Not to mention the nations that would want in on the program...It was difficult with the few nations who are now aware of the program, can you imagine the rest of the fairly major powers wanting in?
                            who the hell are you to decide what the public does or doesn't want or need to know?

"They would be angry that they had never known when the planet was in danger" justifiably I think

Comment

Absolutely not.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X