bluray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bluray ?

i think the searies and movies should go to bluray to i think SG1 was the best and always will be the best
    syfy had ever came out with and as for stargate atlantis they should of never took it off it was getting really good.

I'm sure you aren't the only one that thinks so...Lol. But it would be expensive converting much of the early stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

The movies are on BluRay, I have them. I think because of when SG-1 was made, it would be hard to put on BluRay. We know why Star Trek The Next Generation is getting the treatment because Trek still can make lots of money. They can go back and fix things up so that it looks good instead of an upconverision gone wrong.
      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

The first seasons were filmed on 35 mm, so the quality would be sufficient. What would be a problem would be the time to digitize them. I heard some of the middle seasons were filmed on 15 mm, so then, maybe it is impossible to have enough quality to get a BR.

Comment

The last few seasons of SG1 were filmed using the same cameras as SGA correct? So some seasons should be easy to do in Blueray and if the profits are good enough they can fake the other seasons with upconvert.

P.S. Anybody notice SGA on BR is cheaper then the DVD version on Amazon (full series)?

Comment

Originally posted by Linwelin View Post
            The first seasons were filmed on 35 mm, so the quality would be sufficient. What would be a problem would be the time to digitize them. I heard some of the middle seasons were filmed on 15 mm, so then, maybe it is impossible to have enough quality to get a BR.
            Any film to 1080p conversion will result in superior video quality than what has previously been offered with SG-1 DVDs, not to mention the possibility of DTS-HD Master Audio sound, which is leaps and bounds ahead of AC3/Dolby Digital.

If MGM thinks that they can profit from SG-1 on Bluray I am confident that it will happen at some point.

Comment

Ressurecting this thread to ask: how expensive is it to re-scan the old film? Mountains of film have been scanned by now. There should be so many companies competing for this kind of business that the price is driven down close to cost. I wish I knew what that cost is. I have this feeling that it ought to be profitable for MGM to re-visit the original films and produce BluRays. Do we have anyone here who is in the business? Can anyone who actually knows enligthen us? (Please?)

(This question nags me every time I re-watch the series.)

Comment

The real problem is in the effects. In earlier seasons they probably weren't done in HD. That means you either have to upscale them and have them suffer from low quality relative to the live action shots, or pay to redo them as was the case for TNG. While it would almost certainly be profitable, they still need to have the spare money at hand to invest in such a project.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Ah, Britta, thank you for the insight. Suddenly it feels like a monumental project. And we all know that money has been in short supply at MGM for many years.

Comment

I think remastering TNG cost to the tune of $9 million per season. SG-1 wouldn't necessarily cost as much, but it does give some perspective.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

The original stargate has been released on bluray
                      "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                      X