Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

  1. #1
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    SO Im just starting another runtrhough of the stargate timeline (All movies, SG1, SA, Sgu etc) my 5th time lmao.

    Anyway I watched the 1994 movie and noticed a few things I hadn't noticed previously.

    Lets start with the Jaffa/Ra's Guards:
    I noticed that two of them in the scene where O'Neill and Jacksn get sent up to RA have human stomachs, 1 of them has his stomach covered by what he is wearing. So i guess what I'm saying is was the concept of the jaffa pouch and symbiotes created after the 1994 movie or did RA have some human guards?

    Departure room at the SGC, there seems to be a circular construction under the gate ramp venting smoke upwards, what was that lol?

    A few other things I'm wondering, was General West changed into General hammond for SG1 series one?
    I remeber an episode from SG1 where O'Neill shouts to hammond after coming back through the gate "I was Retired, Your bought me back remember that" which is why im getting confused because that would contradict the 1994 movie.

    Also is Creek Mountain the same Location as Cheyenne mountain from the film? The outside of the structures look different.

  2. #2
    Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,084

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    From what I can remember...

    There were alot of concepts created after 1994, case in point the Dialing computer and the symbiotes. In this movie, it's ambigious, I'm assuming Ra had human guards at the time.

    The circular construction, movie magic. Served no visible purpose but to look cool, and I have no problem with that.

    General West I'm assuming was a previous commander; I'm guessing they either had West retire and Hammond take his place or they forgot West even existed and Hammond took his place entirely.

    Creek Mountain is the same location as Cheyenne mountain, just the name and various details have changed.

    And the line, I'm guessing General O'Neill retired after what happened in Stargate (1994); for what reason, I don't know but it was either related to the bomb or what happened when he was on the planet.

    Also the directors cut of Stargate does contain some stuff cut that makes more sense of certain things. Case in point regarding the Stargate and the existence of more of them in space; there is something about where they tried to go through the Stargate and ended up like fossils but that directly contradicts something in the present involving Stargates not being contacted due to being burred.

  3. #3
    Brigadier General SaberBlade's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Belfast, UK.
    Posts
    8,095

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    General West wasn't changed into Hammond. West was mentioned in the original SG1 pilot, I believe when O'Neill returned to the SGC. This sets up Hammond as being West's replacement, not a new version of the same character. I believe West may have been mentioned again later in the first season when Daniel returns to Catherine.

    "You bought me back, remember that" isn't a contradiction either. In the SG1 pilot after they make contact with Daniel on Abydos (the tissue box is returned), Hammond tells O'Neill to consider himself recalled to active duty, so he was retired and Hammond brought him back. During the movie it wasn't stated that O'Neil had been retired at all, just that he was at home mourning the loss of his son. After the movie was when O'Neill retired.

    Ra also had human Jaffa. It was stated by O'Neill that Ra's guards did not have pouches. It was never explained why, but Ra did seem to enjoy keeping himself surrounded by loyal humans.



  4. #4
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    I think there is a complete list in the FAQ. There was no pouch because the concept of the go'a'uld symbiote did not exist. Ra was an Asgard-like alien inside a human nothing resembling a snake therefore no need for anyone with a pouch. So after the fact one good way I have found in my own head to reconcile the 2 continuities is to say that Ra was in fact a go'a'uld snake who somehow possessed an Asgard which then in turn possessed a human....,or some nonsense like that. The human guards in the movie all have different heads they are not just "Horus guards" they in fact are listed as Horus, Anubis, among others. But check the FAQ for all the details.

  5. #5
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    I think there is a complete list in the FAQ. There was no pouch because the concept of the go'a'uld symbiote did not exist. Ra was an Asgard-like alien inside a human nothing resembling a snake therefore no need for anyone with a pouch. So after the fact one good way I have found in my own head to reconcile the 2 continuities is to say that Ra was in fact a go'a'uld snake who somehow possessed an Asgard which then in turn possessed a human....,or some nonsense like that. The human guards in the movie all have different heads they are not just "Horus guards" they in fact are listed as Horus, Anubis, among others. But check the FAQ for all the details.
    Thanks for the replies guys

    Anychance of getting a link to the list of decrepencies? I dont know my way around these forums and would much like to see more of them.

  6. #6
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys

    Anychance of getting a link to the list of decrepencies? I dont know my way around these forums and would much like to see more of them.
    I don't know how to do a link but on gate world home page look in top center where it says twitter, rss, faq in small white writing. Click FAQ and scroll down to the stargate movie section. Read to your heart's content there lots of info.

  7. #7
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    I don't know how to do a link but on gate world home page look in top center where it says twitter, rss, faq in small white writing. Click FAQ and scroll down to the stargate movie section. Read to your heart's content there lots of info.
    Nice epic, I checked them out my favourite descepencie has to be (and I cant believe I missed it while watching the film).

    Apparently one of the operators at SGC sais the malp has just traveled into the "Kaliem Galaxy". Offcourse if that was true it would of needed an 8th chevron.

    To cover this in SG1 carter mentions about stellar drift so it's just in range, funny tho.

    also someone mentioned earlier the two "mountains" are the same place, but I don't think so because it said on the FAQ:

    The Stargate program was housed deep inside the Creek Mountain facility, a converted missile silo. It is now housed deep inside the remarkably similar-looking Cheyenne Mountain Complex, several floors under N.O.R.A.D. (also a former missile silo).

    Unless ofcourse it is the same location and they changed the look on the outside, but i doubt that beccause cheyenne mountain is offcourse a real place, from what Ive read on wikipedia.

    and another one that made me laugh

    "Ra's right-hand man (or First Prime) in the film is called "Anubis" in the credits. In the series, Anubis is a powerful Goa'uld System Lord who has been absent for a thousand years"

    But he was probably named after him

  8. #8
    Server at Cafe Diem Eestlanna's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Europe, Estonia
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    A few other things I'm wondering, was General West changed into General hammond for SG1 series one?
    I remeber an episode from SG1 where O'Neill shouts to hammond after coming back through the gate "I was Retired, Your bought me back remember that" which is why im getting confused because that would contradict the 1994 movie.
    In the Children of the Gods major Samuels went to O'Neil's house and said that general Hammond has sent for him. Samuels explained that Hammond replaced general West and that it has to do with the Stargate. So Jack goes with him to the SGC where things turn out so that Hammond tells Jack to consider himself called active duty. So Hammond did brought him back. I think, after Jack's son died, he didn't care much of his life, so he agreed to go through the gate and step into the mystery. But things that happed on Abydos changed him, so he came back and decided to retire. But the word Stargate that Samuels mentioned, made him think about Skara and this crazy adventure, so he wanted to go back.

  9. #9
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    Nice epic, I checked them out my favourite descepencie has to be (and I cant believe I missed it while watching the film).

    Apparently one of the operators at SGC sais the malp has just traveled into the "Kaliem Galaxy". Offcourse if that was true it would of needed an 8th chevron.


    To cover this in SG1 carter mentions about stellar drift so it's just in range, funny tho.

    also someone mentioned earlier the two "mountains" are the same place, but I don't think so because it said on the FAQ:

    The Stargate program was housed deep inside the Creek Mountain facility, a converted missile silo. It is now housed deep inside the remarkably similar-looking Cheyenne Mountain Complex, several floors under N.O.R.A.D. (also a former missile silo).

    Unless ofcourse it is the same location and they changed the look on the outside, but i doubt that beccause cheyenne mountain is offcourse a real place, from what Ive read on wikipedia.

    and another one that made me laugh

    "Ra's right-hand man (or First Prime) in the film is called "Anubis" in the credits. In the series, Anubis is a powerful Goa'uld System Lord who has been absent for a thousand years"

    But he was probably named after him
    The tv show writers had to make changes both for financial, time, and overall story. Think about how silly the original Apophis snake heads were as opposed to the movie CGI heads that disappeared completely. As far as the malp going "on the other side of the known universe" it helps tell a story much better if you confine the gates to just our galaxy and have the human population spread out from one source. This allows the introduction of other races as the dominant species from their particular home galaxy as well. If you consider the vast size of the milky way it just wouldn't make sense to have an entire slew of different intelligent races here (even though that's kind of what we get anyway) because intelligent life would be so widely separated in both distance and the relatively small life spans compared to age of universe. The Asgard, Ori, Ancients, Replicators, etc, all basically have their own little neighborhood in the universe. I don't know how else to describe it but literally going to a different galaxy every week would have made the concept of humans populating other worlds in other galaxies a difficult story-telling device. For instance, despite being able to travel to other galaxies via stargate the distances required would for all intents and purposes take space ship travel out of the equation for the most part. Can't have visually stunning space battles with no ships can you? Basically by confining things to one small part of the universe it allows the show to be slightly more believable and keep things local so that we can feel a bigger threat from the bad guys in our back yard. Imagine how non-threatening the go'a'uld would be if they could only access us via the heavily guarded gate. We could bury it and voila end of story. Some of this is my opinion as I don't know any writers personally but after watching this franchise religiously for nearly 2 decades I have had some time to ponder.
    Last edited by terminator; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,681

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    Lets start with the Jaffa/Ra's Guards:
    I noticed that two of them in the scene where O'Neill and Jacksn get sent up to RA have human stomachs, 1 of them has his stomach covered by what he is wearing. So i guess what I'm saying is was the concept of the jaffa pouch and symbiotes created after the 1994 movie or did RA have some human guards?
    The movie's producers and writers had no concept of Goa'uld nor Jaffa. This was a retcon pulled by SG-1's producers and writers. In the movie, Ra was a Roswell-grey-like alien who possessed the human to become eternal. In SG-1, Ra was retconned as a Goa'uld, a snake-like parasitical alien. Well, then why was Ra dieing, why did he need a new host? Unanswered question. One could argue that the Unas hosts were dieing out, so Ra found new hosts: humans on Earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    Departure room at the SGC, there seems to be a circular construction under the gate ramp venting smoke upwards, what was that lol?
    I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    A few other things I'm wondering, was General West changed into General hammond for SG1 series one? I remeber an episode from SG1 where O'Neill shouts to hammond after coming back through the gate "I was Retired, Your bought me back remember that" which is why im getting confused because that would contradict the 1994 movie.
    In the first episode, Colonel Samuels told O'Neill that General Hammond replaced General West. Colonel O'Neil was reactivated in the film due to his suicidal state. In SG-1's first episode, he was reactivated again to deal with the alien invasion (later revealed to be Apophis and his Jaffa).

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze1988 View Post
    Also is Creek Mountain the same Location as Cheyenne mountain from the film? The outside of the structures look different.
    Yes, sort of. Creek Mountain was a fictional facility made up for the movie. SG-1 retcons Creek Mountain to Cheyenne Mountain with the SGC located beneath Norad. We're to believe the stargate was always in Cheyenne Mountain.

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned, but the movie ran today on AMC in the States, and I caught something noticed before-

    Abydos (never named as such) is said in the movie to be in another galaxy; according to Katherine, it was "on the other side of the known universe".

    Guess when Stargate went to a weekly series, someone decided to not have things be so grand, and limited the gate nework to the Milky Way.

    At one time scientists thought the Milky Way was the entire universe (until telescopes helped them pick up on the fact some objects in the sky were actual galaxies, not stars).

    I'd be willing to say that Katherine wasn't an atronomer or astro-physicist, and that would be why she said on the other side of the "universe", but there's a line a moment earlier that says the wormhole is terminating in another galaxy.

    Oh well...

    Comic book fans know this type of thing as a ret-con. Could also be claimed that the movie takes place in a similar but different universe from the series.


    EDIT:
    Forgot this one-
    The symbols on the distant gate in the movie were different from the ones on the Earth gate, and that seems to have also changed for the series. (Except for on Atlantis. The Pegasus gates had different symbols, didn't they?)

  12. #12
    Major blueray's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    somewhere in the universe
    Posts
    2,694

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    i was watching it on amc today too .

    another thing i noticed they changed after the first season, was people coming out cold when they went through the stargate.

  13. #13
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    What about the spirel vortex going out the back of the star gate, i've often wondered what happened to that

  14. #14
    Teyla’s Gymnastic Dance Sticks Reseph(Shed)'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Searching the galaxy for a new host.
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    I think I somewhat found a way to explain the human guards. If I remember correctly in Children of the Gods (and I think I saw a few in a picture of when they gathered for Klorel in Within the Serpent's Lair), the two bulky men that grabbed Shar'e, Carol, and Skaara were Humans. They didn't have the Jaffa symbols (but they wore Turbans), or cuts in their belly. Maybe Ra just chose to use more of these types of Guards than the Jaffa (it's an explanation at least).

    I noticed that for some reason Ra used a lot of children as slaves and I am surprised that more Goa'uld didn't do this in a way (although anyone that was another System Lord probably wouldn't care who died, so it is somewhat feasible that they changed it), It was a perfect way to protect himself considering most people wouldn't want to kill children. Maybe it was a way to stop the stronger but more compassionate races from taking action against him at the time.
    Last edited by Reseph(Shed); January 29th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

  15. #15
    Major Gen. Chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wall
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Niddle View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned, but the movie ran today on AMC in the States, and I caught something noticed before-

    Abydos (never named as such) is said in the movie to be in another galaxy; according to Katherine, it was "on the other side of the known universe".

    Guess when Stargate went to a weekly series, someone decided to not have things be so grand, and limited the gate nework to the Milky Way.

    At one time scientists thought the Milky Way was the entire universe (until telescopes helped them pick up on the fact some objects in the sky were actual galaxies, not stars).

    I'd be willing to say that Katherine wasn't an atronomer or astro-physicist, and that would be why she said on the other side of the "universe", but there's a line a moment earlier that says the wormhole is terminating in another galaxy.



    [/COLOR]
    I think the "fan" reasoning is that the computer tracking wasn't as good as it was by the time the series started. The computer simply made an error in tracking the probe.

  16. #16
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,681

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Alternatively, just dismiss it as a retcon.

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,669

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Alternatively, just dismiss it as a retcon.
    This. I think that's actually what most fans do. Right along with the discrepancy of the film taking place in 1994, yet 1997 somehow being a year afterward, as evidenced by dialogue and events in COTG. The show's timeline basically has the events of the film occurring in 1996, and as long as everyone can keep that and the other odd items from bothering them too much, it's all quite enjoyable.

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  18. #18
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,681

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    There are similar discrepancies between the Terminator movies and TV series (The Sarah Connor Chronicles). There, only two discrepancies really bothered me. One was Sarah's distrust of Cameron after she learned to trust the Terminator protector in the second movie. The other was Sarah's reason for trying to escape the mental hospital. In the movie, it was a dream of Kyle Reese and Judgment Day. In the series, it was signing away parental rights, something she'd have already lost upon being committed.

  19. #19
    Teyla’s Gymnastic Dance Sticks Reseph(Shed)'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Searching the galaxy for a new host.
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    This. I think that's actually what most fans do. Right along with the discrepancy of the film taking place in 1994, yet 1997 somehow being a year afterward, as evidenced by dialogue and events in COTG. The show's timeline basically has the events of the film occurring in 1996, and as long as everyone can keep that and the other odd items from bothering them too much, it's all quite enjoyable.
    You know, I have seen Stargate:COTG several times, and I've heard them say that a year has passed etc. I didn't really think about the three year difference even when reading about Stargate on the Wiki until it was mentioned here. I guess some of these things I have been subconsciously treating as Retcons anyway lol.

  20. #20
    Airman Anoobian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Duat (Alteran Galaxy)
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reseph(Shed) View Post
    I think I somewhat found a way to explain the human guards. If I remember correctly in Children of the Gods (and I think I saw a few in a picture of when they gathered for Klorel in Within the Serpent's Lair), the two bulky men that grabbed Shar'e, Carol, and Skaara were Humans. They didn't have the Jaffa symbols (but they wore Turbans), or cuts in their belly. Maybe Ra just chose to use more of these types of Guards than the Jaffa (it's an explanation at least).

    I noticed that for some reason Ra used a lot of children as slaves and I am surprised that more Goa'uld didn't do this in a way (although anyone that was another System Lord probably wouldn't care who died, so it is somewhat feasible that they changed it), It was a perfect way to protect himself considering most people wouldn't want to kill children. Maybe it was a way to stop the stronger but more compassionate races from taking action against him at the time.
    No. There was no such thing as Jaffa or Goa'uld. Stargate was written as a trilogy with aliens that had humans loyal to them raised from children. The aliens did not speak English, but the tongue native to the area of the humans they had. (Or the humans rather gaining their language from the aliens, like Egyptian language really being an alien language rather than an Earthen one)

    There were no System Lords or anything like that.

    Anubis and Horus were in the movie, because in mythology, Anubis and Horus are children of Ra. So in that sense, they'd be his soldiers/servants/underlings/whatever. They were not Jaffa, the concept of many, almost everything introduced in SG-1 was not part of the original universe. With the exception of the Stargate and transplanted humans and technology (Ha'tak, Hand Device concept [Ra's was WAY different than anyone else's], Death Gliders), nothing about the series resembles the movie.

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about Stargate The Movie (1994) Help me please?
    By JusTCurious in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
  2. the asgard in the 1994 movie
    By DeRoest in forum SG-1 Movies
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
  3. Stargate (1994 movie) Blu-Ray release
    By prion in forum SG-1 Merchandise
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM
  4. How do the stargate series relate to the original movie 1994
    By Apsu in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: December 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM
  5. SG Movie 1994 and Atlantis (Spoiler)
    By Visno in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2006, 08:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •