Is TOS worth watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is TOS worth watching?

Hello, so I am thinking about watching Star Trek series, but I kinda want to skip The Original Series, I have watched like 5 episodes before, but I tought it was kinda silly, since it was made in like 1960s or so.
    I am thinking to start with TNG or The Mation Picture, so if I skip TOS series will I miss much? After all, TNG was filmed like 20 years later.

Yeah, you'll miss the soul of Star Trek. Why would being made in the 60's make it silly?
    sigpic
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

It's definitely worth watching at least once, because that's where it all started and some of the stories are pretty decent too. Of course, it's easy to see where it's aged, and I don't mean the FX.
      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about this myself, I don't really like the look at the first series.
        But I want to try the Star Trek series tho

Comment

I personally started with TNG. You don't really miss much without watching the original in my opinion.

Comment

You don't really miss much without watching the original
            "How can you lie like that"?

sigpic

Comment

"Is TOS worth watching?"

Even hearing the question makes me reel. I don't know whether to weep for science fiction, or launch into an enraged tirade so fiery that it makes the Sun look like an icebox
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sadly Digi, it seems lately that quite a lot of younger Star Trek & Doctor Who fans are under the mistaken impression that anything more than 25 years old lacks quality. If anything I'd say it has more.
                sigpic

Comment

Personally, I like TOS better than all the other series. Watching TNG now vs when it first came out is REALLY hard for me. Believe it or not, TOS aged MUCH better than TNG.
                  sigpic
                  Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Originally posted by T-N-Z View Post
                    Hello, so I am thinking about watching Star Trek series, but I kinda want to skip The Original Series, I have watched like 5 episodes before, but I tought it was kinda silly, since it was made in like 1960s or so.
                    I am thinking to start with TNG or The Mation Picture, so if I skip TOS series will I miss much? After all, TNG was filmed like 20 years later.
                    TOS is the heart and soul of Star Trek.

Yes, it may seem silly because of the mini skirts, actors/aliens that were more human looking than than scary alien, some of the over the top acting in places...all which was the norm back in the 60's but regardless of all that which judging by today standards makes the original seem to look silly, it really was the beginning...where it all started.

Would I recommend watching TOS, heck yes....TOS is the heart and soul of what began the sci-fi movement and much entertainment for generations and generations to come.

Wonderful characters such as Spock, Kirk and my favorite - Scottie came to life! It was fun to watch how these characters also changed as TOS went from the TV show into movies. And I especially loved how they incorporated these characters and their stories in the later Star Trek shows. The story with Spock and his father continuing in TNG was awesome and at least for me had much more meaning because of watching TOS.

Just sit down, get some popcorn and watch it with an open mind, not an over critical mind and as it doesn't meet today's standards of what we expect to see Science fiction. Just go into watching it with the wonderment that this is where it all started and enjoy!
                    Last edited by Rosehawk; 26 December 2011, 07:19 PM.
                    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

it may seem silly because of the mini skirts
                      Those mini skirt uniforms never seemed silly to me, now the first season mini skirts on male crewman in TNG was silly.

sigpic

Comment

For me personally I didn't feel the need to watch TOS. I watched all the other series and all the films (though need to fast forward through some bits of the Motion Picture) and I don't feel like I missed out.

It takes a lot for me to give a series that is as old as TOS a proper chance, especially after seeing clips of fight scenes and effects on Youtube. Though that's probably because I didn't grow up with it, TNG was the series that got me into the sci-fi genre.

Comment

Actually, if you skip the series, you will have no idea what the back story in STII is. And STII is the best Trek film. Not to mention the history of the characters. Just watch it!
                          sigpic
                          Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                            For me personally I didn't feel the need to watch TOS. I watched all the other series and all the films (though need to fast forward through some bits of the Motion Picture) and I don't feel like I missed out.

It takes a lot for me to give a series that is as old as TOS a proper chance, especially after seeing clips of fight scenes and effects on Youtube. Though that's probably because I didn't grow up with it, TNG was the series that got me into the sci-fi genre.
                            If that is the case then watch the remastered version. I'm not the biggest viewer of classic Scifi either, but Trek has good stories and drama but if that's not enough then the upgraded visual effects and CG may help.

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                            now the first season mini skirts on male crewman in TNG was silly.
                            It's political correctness gone mad, MAD I say.
                            Last edited by SaberBlade; 26 December 2011, 10:59 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                              Sadly Digi, it seems lately that quite a lot of younger Star Trek & Doctor Who fans are under the mistaken impression that anything more than 25 years old lacks quality. If anything I'd say it has more.
                              It's not the lacks of quality, for me it's just really hard to sit through tos, I love the motion pictures but i couldn't make it through all three seasons, nevertheless I love the original crew!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X