DVD or Blueray.. what to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD or Blueray.. what to buy?

Anybody have the Blueray set, if so is it worth 2x the price of the DVD set?

Nah, DVD is good enough.
    You probably didn't watch it in Bluray?

Comment

I've been wondering about this myself. I feel like I just got the DVD set, when it came out

I'd be interested to hear how good of a job they did cleaning it up for BD.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I will continue buying DVD's until they discontinue them...I feel like I JUST upgraded all my VHS's. Plus I have spent over $1000 on my tv show collection...I'm not going to upgrade that until I absolutely have to.
        sigpic

Comment

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Do things that way and you'll forever be using sub-standard stuff.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I seen it on NETFLIX not on DVD (well PKW was a DVD since they didn't offer streaming). I am into season 3 episode 1 on my second pass and like it enough to buy a real set. The thing is I don't have a BR player so if I get the BR set I need a new player. Also sooner or later I will get the SG1 set (which isn't on BR I think) and SGA (which is on BR and I seen the HD version on NETFLIX).

So since I don't have either set I was wondering if the BR version was worth paying 2x the money for. The reviews seem to be for the DVD set online.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Do things that way and you'll forever be using sub-standard stuff.
              Not really...I just don't feel like going out of my way to purchase new stuff when I already have the stuff on DVD. Especially since I'm already lacking in money as it is...

I have watched some things on Blu Ray, and I don't see the point in paying 10-20 bucks more for slightly better quality sound and picture.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                Not really...I just don't feel like going out of my way to purchase new stuff when I already have the stuff on DVD. Especially since I'm already lacking in money as it is...

I have watched some things on Blu Ray, and I don't see the point in paying 10-20 bucks more for slightly better quality sound and picture.
                I'm the same way. I've noticed my PS3 does quite a good job upscaling most of my DVDs on my 32" HDTV so don't feel the need to run out and upgrade my VHS either. Out of all my VHS tapes, think I've only gotten maybe 4 or 5 on DVD and even then it was because they were preowned/part of a bundle. I've even got my VHS hooked up to the same TV (a somewhat awkward process).

As for Farscape on DVD or Blu-Ray, get the DVD. Farscape is on my list of things to get after building new PC. According to the review I read (trusted site), the audio is fantastic, it has 1 hour of bonus content exclusive to blu-ray (plus the same 15 hours the DVDs have) but the video isn't the best. It seems they just transferred the material from DVD and upscaled it for HD as the original negatives apparantly grew legs and walked off. The video is probably the most important aspect but if you're paying twice the money for DVD quality upscaled, may as well save yourself $50 and buy DVD and let your player upscale it for you.

I use my PS3 for upscaling DVDs and for the most the quality is really good. The only thing I've ever had issues with has been Babylon 5 (looks great on DVD on my 19" PC monitor, horrible stuff on 32")

sigpic

Comment

I usually go for DVDs just because I don't find the increased quality is worth the extra price that comes with blue ray.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

In this case I'd say blu-rays aren't worth paying double. We got the DVDs and the PS3 really does a brilliant job of scaling up. We do buy lots of movies on blu-ray though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well I just ordered the DVD set + PKW from Amazon for $62 shipped, should have them next year some time (PKW will be in stock on the 31st).

This is the first TV show I got the boxed set for, will get SGA and SG1 someday as well.

$49.95 for the set is pretty cheap, I wonder how good/bad sales are.

Comment

I have a 40" screen and the few Blu-ray stuff (played on a PS3 slim) that we have looks so much better (sharper/crisper) than DVDs (the DVD player we have also has an upscaler and is connected to the screen w/ an HDMI cable).
                        I guess the display size is an important factor.

I have the Farscape DVD boxed set already, but I'm hoping to get the Blu-ray stuff soon (not just yet...I want a 'Hot Fuzz' and/or 'Master and Commander' Blu-ray disc first )
                        sigpic

Comment

My TV is a 32" Vizio 720P/1080i so I would not get the full 1080P BR picture anyway (1366x768 is what I can do). The BR version isn't full 1080 resolution anyway since they lost the original film and never upgraded the special effects anyway. Still the BR release is higher resolution then DVD.

The original Farscape DVDs seemed to have cost a fortune, makes me wonder if the BR version will go up or down in price down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                            I have a 40" screen and the few Blu-ray stuff (played on a PS3 slim) that we have looks so much better (sharper/crisper) than DVDs (the DVD player we have also has an upscaler and is connected to the screen w/ an HDMI cable).
                            I guess the display size is an important factor.

I have the Farscape DVD boxed set already, but I'm hoping to get the Blu-ray stuff soon (not just yet...I want a 'Hot Fuzz' and/or 'Master and Commander' Blu-ray disc first )
                            I'd recommend you get rid of the dedicated DVD player unless you also use it for CDs. Try the PS3 for upscaling DVDs. Granted, it's not quite as good as blu-ray, but certainly good enough for a TV show that wasn't shot in HD. Heck, the first three seasons were shot in 4:3 format so you get the black bars on the sides.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X