Novus - population requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novus - population requirements

Another thread has been created which discusses the technological development of Novus over the 2000 years from being stranded. I had another couplet of questions that might be worth discussing:

a) how close was the number of crew in size to a group that would not have survived at all (drop off to accident/illness and genetic non-diversity)

b) due to their small numbers, should polygamy and/or high birth rates have been encouraged or mandated?

this is very difficult to determine.

the main problem is, that the Novus group was about 19920 people short of a healthy population.

however, technology solved their problem. they were capable of advancing fast enough to develop genetic engineering and use it to their benefit.

remember, even IFV and a gene test will have MASSIVE impact on their future genome as you'd be able to pick the healthiest and most stable fetus and let it live.

the real question is: how long did it take them to achieve this?

one massive beneficial thing is that the very basics we are teached in school, well a lot of it is only relatively recently discovered.

2000 years ago we could not even smelt steel. 2000 years ago we knew nothing of hygiene. simply knowing that a path exists makes advancements much easier.

in fact, it kind of makes the advancement to an earth-like period fuelled by their economy and industry in stead of discovery. their ability to produce, say, aluminum would depend on their ability to develop large-scale electric powerplants. their ability for genetic engineering would depend on microengineering those tools.

Comment

There's a thread on this with the necessary calculations in the Common Descent folder IIRC, or maybe the Epilogue one...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        There's a thread on this with the necessary calculations in the Common Descent folder IIRC, or maybe the Epilogue one...
        Apologies: although I've been with Stargate since 2002 or before, I am virtually brand new here.

Mod: I suggest this thread be closed...

Comment

Working...
        X