Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think they had some kind of religion in Tenara on Novus?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you think they had some kind of religion in Tenara on Novus?

the Futurans worshipped Rush (incidentally it annoyed me the episode that they called it a "political philosophy", when it sounded much more like a state religion) but what about the Tenarans did they have some kind of religion two? that comment about rush shows the idea of "hell" is still prevalent in thier culture?

Well, those who were in favour of Rush worshipped him as a god and those who were against, saw him more as a devil (which(who) tears away(extracts) souls and enmenes in hells). Then yes, has my opinion they had a kind of religion, there all the same that exceed simple political philosophy (at least, it is only my avi ^^ ')

Can be that Young was also worshipped as a god? And then, being a descendant of Countrymen, among whom considering some and follower of religions, they had to have a certain culture on this subject
    sigpic
    by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

Humans always crave some kind of belief system in higher powers that brought them into existence, usually what we consider religion. The reaction of the Novins to meeting Destiny's crew, and esp. Rush (saying he was a demon), seems like they had made a religion out of their ancestors. The original people became divided over who was better to follow, Rush or Young, over time these beliefs become religious. Even a society based in science will have those in it who will invent religious traditions.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
        Humans always crave some kind of belief system in higher powers that brought them into existence, usually what we consider religion. The reaction of the Novins to meeting Destiny's crew, and esp. Rush (saying he was a demon), seems like they had made a religion out of their ancestors. The original people became divided over who was better to follow, Rush or Young, over time these beliefs become religious. Even a society based in science will have those in it who will invent religious traditions.
        I was discussing this very topic last night with a non-SG viewer. I suggest then, and thus now, that whilst it may be true that the human mind has a propensity for creating religion, is it not for the purpose of explaining the inexplicable? As such, with an "enlightened" crew from Destiny, religion in its truest form would not form.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
          I was discussing this very topic last night with a non-SG viewer. I suggest then, and thus now, that whilst it may be true that the human mind has a propensity for creating religion, is it not for the purpose of explaining the inexplicable? As such, with an "enlightened" crew from Destiny, religion in its truest form would not form.
          "is it not for the purpose of explaining the inexplicable" what do you mean?
          "with an "enlightened" crew from Destiny, religion in its truest form would not form" what is it's "truest form"?

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
            "is it not for the purpose of explaining the inexplicable" what do you mean?
            "with an "enlightened" crew from Destiny, religion in its truest form would not form" what is it's "truest form"?
            There have been religions from at least the early Egyptian periods. Their religion "explained" how the sun moved round the Earth and so on. Things which we have subsequently explained through science. Hence "explaining the inexplicable". As such, religion of that nature ("truest form") would not form.

However, I have perhaps changed my mind on that second half. Philosophically a religion is a belief system (potentially based on faith rather than "fact"). As such, belief in a scientist called Dr. Nicholas Rush is as firm a basis as for any current human religion.

Comment

There have been religions from at least the early Egyptian periods. Their religion "explained" how the sun moved round the Earth and so on. Things which we have subsequently explained through science. Hence "explaining the inexplicable". As such, religion of that nature ("truest form") would not form.
              oh I see, I would say the reason religion form has more to do with preparing one for a possible life after death

However, I have perhaps changed my mind on that second half. Philosophically a religion is a belief system (potentially based on faith rather than "fact"). As such, belief in a scientist called Dr. Nicholas Rush is as firm a basis as for any current human religion.
              except they know Rush is just a man on a space ship, you can't have faith in something you know for a fact not to true

Comment

Did these people know nothing the of ancients, they were a lot more advanced then Rush, if they considered him a god what did they think of the people that built the ship and got their ancestors stuck so far from home. It seems to me that a lot of things would have to be deliberately twisted to end up with Rush as a god. I felt the whole idea was far fetched and amateurism in its construction.
                At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Humans are predisposed to be curious and superstitious. It's how our brain works and how we learn things, we see correlation and we assume cause. It's a phenomena recorded in other animals too. With only the KINO footage to prove where they came from, and no fossil record like we have, it makes sense that all sorts of alternative explanations would pop up. Some people will always believe what they want to believe, rather than what is rational.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    Humans are predisposed to be curious and superstitious. It's how our brain works and how we learn things, we see correlation and we assume cause. It's a phenomena recorded in other animals too. With only the KINO footage to prove where they came from, and no fossil record like we have, it makes sense that all sorts of alternative explanations would pop up. Some people will always believe what they want to believe, rather than what is rational.
                    but they have first hand accounts of the man and his life and I'm assuming there is nothing supper natural in those accounts, where are they getting this from?
                    also are you suggesting you have to be irrational to be religious?

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                      also are you suggesting you have to be irrational to be religious?
                      Faith is belief without proof. It's irrational by nature.

Comment

I had someting written here but it did not save, will try to add what I had written later on.
                        At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          Faith is belief without proof. It's irrational by nature.
                          I think following a religion that you have strong evidence not to be true is irrational, but in the absence of any proof one way or the other choosing to believe in something that is not totally unreasonable because the idea conforms to your philosophical beliefs about reality doesn't seem that irrational to me
                          PS before you get the wrong idea I do not believe in god

Comment

It depends what you mean by irrational. There are rational reasons why someone would take solace in such beliefs, so it wouldn't be irrational in a subjective sense, but it still would be in an objective one. The way a belief makes you feel has zero bearing on whether it's actually true or not.

Comment

There's a big difference between belief in something and that something being a deity. They believed in Rush rescuing them. Not necessarily that he was god.

Comment

Working...
                              X