SGU Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Gates

Just wondering what others opinions are as to why the gates in SGU werent as good as any other gate? Like why did a gate have to be in range when in SG-1 and SG:A you could travel anywhere in that galaxy via the one gate. That part always confused me as it was never really spoken about

Possibly an early version of the gate. Not a prototype, but not as advanced as the one recovered in Egypt.

Comment

Because they are
      Spoiler:
      prototypes, older than the milkyway gates

Comment

Originally posted by Raineman View Post
        Just wondering what others opinions are as to why the gates in SGU werent as good as any other gate? Like why did a gate have to be in range when in SG-1 and SG:A you could travel anywhere in that galaxy via the one gate. That part always confused me as it was never really spoken about
        I'm pretty sure it was stated that Rush thinks Destiny's gate may be the olders ever made, a prototype for the rest. It could have been in a webisode though...

Comment

just go through old threads theres heaps of answers main one was since its seeding so many that they used less powerful and stronger material and they are a lot older to so not only was it about quantity then qaulity they were also older versions

Comment

Guys, a continuity error. It can't be the prototype, in the Ark of Truth prologue, we see the notebook that contains the first design of the Stargates and it's Milky Way design. I believe it's a continuity error. SGU Gates are the first.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The design in the notebook is that vague that it could concievably be either to be fair.

Comment

But saying they are the first gate then shouldnt the milkyway and pegasus be the same since the seed ships and destiny left from earth?

Comment

like i stated first each galaxy has different materials like we never heard of naquida in the pegasus galaxy so im still going with they just used materials that were easy to make many of gates with at the time

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    Guys, a continuity error. It can't be the prototype, in the Ark of Truth prologue, we see the notebook that contains the first design of the Stargates and it's Milky Way design. I believe it's a continuity error. SGU Gates are the first.
                    It's not a continuity error, SGU didn't exist when the movie was made.

Comment

Hmm, but what bothers me - the gate CAN dial even as far back as Earth (Telford got there.. the rest got to some random planet, still further away than the usual distance limit.. ). Supposedly it has enough power, of course, yes. But still - doubt that the Destiny has only enough power to dial just that close.. - what powered MW gates? The DHD - a relatively small thingy with buttons on it. In case of Destiny, well, it pretty much has this huge ship to power it.

Edit.
                      Oh, but dialing back might be a problem... so the ship allows to dial those gates, from witch something can back as well.
                      Last edited by Edi; 18 December 2011, 02:28 AM. Reason: Dialing back.
                      sigpic

Comment

But saying they are the first gate then shouldnt the milkyway and pegasus be the same since the seed ships and destiny left from earth?
                        They could easily have been replaced with updated models. In fact given the inferiority of the original gates, it makes sense that they would be.

Comment

Well it makes sense that the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies contained newer models because the Ancients actually inhabited those galaxies, whereas all of the galaxies Destiny traveled through weren't, and thus the seed ships continued constructing the same design they were programmed to from the beginning.

It would have been cool if at some point a Destiny-era gate was discovered in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxy on a planet that was perhaps forgotten by the Ancients, but that would have been a sideways plot anyway.

As for the inferiority of the Destiny-era gates, I don't think it's the gates themselves but rather the amount of power supplied to them. Clearly they possess the ability to dial nine-chevrons because Destiny's database has a nine-chevron address for Earth. So it appears as though the weakness of the Destiny-era gates is power, something I'm sure evolved along with the gates themselves as the Ancients continued to research and develop gate travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                            Hmm, but what bothers me - the gate CAN dial even as far back as Earth (Telford got there.. the rest got to some random planet, still further away than the usual distance limit.. ).
                            I believe that, officially, the issue is the available power supply.

However, one possibility that I had considered was that Earth's address/coordinates/whatever is "hardwired" into Destiny's Stargate. The idea is that the range limit on Destiny-style Stargates comes from "aiming" issues in translating the address to a physical location in space; because Earth's location is hardwired into the Stargate, aiming is not an issue when dialing Earth. That might be why, for example, Earth's address is the only nine-chevron address in Destiny's databanks.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

There is no evidence that they are the prototype stargates, but they definitely predate the Milky Way stargate network.

Comment

Working...
                              X