SGU Pilot: Hammond Versus 3 Ha'taks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Pilot: Hammond Versus 3 Ha'taks

It always bothered me that this was even a battle. This is 2009. Why is the Hammond using rail guns as anti-capital ship weapons? Where are the Asgard weapons that can allow a 304 to take out an Ori mother ship?

everyone had issues with that scene
    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

We know that the Hat'taks began firing the moment they came out of hyperspace, Carter said that, so it's logical to assume that they first targeted the Hammond before they began bombarding the Icarus base (though I would of liked the writers to have at least hinted at something like this) and by the time the Hammond raised its shields, they already lost the weapons. That's my theory anyway.
      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
      -Dexter-

Comment

good theory but in previous episodes the minute a ship detects a hyperspace window opening they raise shields. the writers also failed to go into detail with that scene as a whole
        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

Originally posted by USS Thor View Post
          good theory but in previous episodes the minute a ship detects a hyperspace window opening they raise shields. the writers also failed to go into detail with that scene as a whole
          it was unexpected, they had no idea they were going to be attacked and SGSargon's theory makes sense.

Comment

The assumption was always that the Hammond was unfinished. Or the beam weapons could have just been knocked offline, we've seen that happen before. It's more of a franchise niggle than a series issue though, it doesn't really impact SGU.

Comment

They wanted the episode to be realistic, hence the Hammond is in trouble when three Goa'uld mother ships arrive and begin firing on the ship.

Oh wait, giant space ships in a distant part of the galaxy isn't realistic. Should have gone with the beam weapons or feature dialogue stating that the Goa'uld mother ships knocked them out.

Comment

I know i broke down and cried during that scene, DAMN YOU PLOT HOLE!!!

On a more sane hand, we know that the Hammond was only like 1-2 weeks off the assembly line and I doubt it was perfect; we've seen them rush ships into service, if it can fly and hold an atmosphere ship it out!

Comment

I'm not certain but I thought there was mention of the Hammond being unfinished and that the Asgard stuff hand't been properly installed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelesscutter View Post
                    I'm not certain but I thought there was mention of the Hammond being unfinished and that the Asgard stuff hand't been properly installed yet.
                    I was thinking the same thing - but maybe I'm misremembering? Re-watch!
                    sigpic
                    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Gateworld has the transcripts, remember

One ha'tak, two alkesh. And no mention of not being finished. Or the beam weapon.

Comment

let's look at it the other way around.

would the Lucian Alliance, in any sane world, attack Icarus with 3 ha'tak if the Hammond had APBW's and could end the battle in 3 seconds?

it's obvious that those weapons were not available. why? there's a number of possibilities:

-the ship was not finished in EATG. it likely was not finished in Air.

-the ship DID have APBW's, but the good intell from Telford allowed the LA to strike the ship first (unshielded) and take out the APBW's. they're very vulnerable weapons, we know that.

i believe i had a few more but can't remember them

anyway, it's obvious that Earth is capable of launching spaceships weeks prior to their actual launch, at the cost of the most advanced systems. the Phoenix for example was launched (In an AT but that does not matter) 1 month early and required a week or two to install all asgard stuff.

it can therefore be concluded that the main priority is spaceflight and hyperspace capability, followed by shields and finally the weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          let's look at it the other way around.

would the Lucian Alliance, in any sane world, attack Icarus with 3 ha'tak if the Hammond had APBW's and could end the battle in 3 seconds?

it's obvious that those weapons were not available. why? there's a number of possibilities:

-the ship was not finished in EATG. it likely was not finished in Air.

-the ship DID have APBW's, but the good intell from Telford allowed the LA to strike the ship first (unshielded) and take out the APBW's. they're very vulnerable weapons, we know that.

i believe i had a few more but can't remember them

anyway, it's obvious that Earth is capable of launching spaceships weeks prior to their actual launch, at the cost of the most advanced systems. the Phoenix for example was launched (In an AT but that does not matter) 1 month early and required a week or two to install all asgard stuff.

it can therefore be concluded that the main priority is spaceflight and hyperspace capability, followed by shields and finally the weapons.
                          You know, this had me thinking:
                          1. Lets consider for just a moment that somehow, the LA managed to find a way to enhance the shields to become APBW proof.
                          So if they fire they railguns, that has no effect on shields (see Off the Grid), why didn't they also fired their supposely "useless" beam weapons? We know that in Stargate regardless if your weapons affect the shields or not they're still fired (like in all Hat'tak vs Ori mothership ). So if you're firing everything you've got, which is very useless, but you're not going to fire something more powerful, but still useless, because...something weaker is more powerful ?!
                          The only logical explanation would be that the beam weapons were not installed.
                          2. There's no mention of any main weapons, or beam weapons being taken out or something like that. There's also no mention of any of their weapons having no effect. More than that, the LA send many Troop transports (that are not shielded, see Full Circle) and Alkesh (that are not always shielded, or maybe they just turn the cloak into a shield), that are much harder to take out using only railguns. It would of maked more sense to fire the beam weapons at theese ships, because they aren't shielded, or their shields are not as strong as the Hat'tak's. We see nothing like this.
                          The only logical explanation would be that the beam weapons were not installed.
                          3. When the Apollo was rushed into service in AoT, for example, no beam weapons were installed, even though it's been several weeks since they have the Asgard Core. Some time later, possibly a month or so, when the Apollo was involved in attacking Asuras, the beam weapons were still not present. They were only installed much later, which would suggest that manufacturing, testing and installing them is not as easy as other parts (propulsion, hyperdrive). This would suggest that the beam weapons are the last thing installed on a Daedalus ship, which would make sense, since you first need a working ship before you can put guns on it.
                          Therefor, the only logical explanation would be that the beam weapons were not yet installed.

In conclusion, we can say that the beam weapons were not installed, after all Hammond's mission was to transport the delegation, rather than fight something.
                          It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
                          -Dexter-

Comment

If the Hammond wasn't finished, why launch the ship at all, especially to such a super-secret base? Just send the Daedalus, Odyssey, Apollo, or the Sun Tzu.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                              If the Hammond wasn't finished, why launch the ship at all, especially to such a super-secret base? Just send the Daedalus, Odyssey, Apollo, or the Sun Tzu.
                              They weren't functioning due to the events of EATG
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X