A good Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good Question

I have to say i been watching SGU this week and one thing bugs me beside it be canceled. When the Ancient build this ship all those years ago why did they not build automated robots to repair the ship as it got damage to keep it at 100% so when the team come aboard they can start with the mission and not repair the ship. I guest that make for good TV.

Originally posted by Stargate Universe Online View Post
    I have to say i been watching SGU this week and one thing bugs me beside it be canceled. When the Ancient build this ship all those years ago why did they not build automated robots to repair the ship as it got damage to keep it at 100% so when the team come aboard they can start with the mission and not repair the ship. I guest that make for good TV.
    Actually, there were repair robots - the crew find one and use it to repair the "dome" (that ends up being used as the greenhouse) - we see it in use in at least one episode.

Now, why the robot(s) were stored in a big ol' crate and not roaming about the ship repairing it all along, that's another question.
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
      Actually, there were repair robots - the crew find one and use it to repair the "dome" (that ends up being used as the greenhouse) - we see it in use in at least one episode.

Now, why the robot(s) were stored in a big ol' crate and not roaming about the ship repairing it all along, that's another question.
      ... and we never get an answer to this (possible) question. What carmencatalina wrote means also that the authors thought about (a part of) your question, or that problem, but maybe never got the chance to fully expand it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post

I would guess it was probably to have them used when the Ancients came to Destiny. Since that never happened....
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

They may not have intended it to have been in service this long. I interpreted Destiny as the Ancients emergency escape. If things went too badly, they could gate to Destiny. But they pursued ascension instead, do Destiny was ignored. Destiny just continued on and on, following the seeder ships, which continued on and on. It was obviously build to be inhabited by people.

Comment

From what i understand of the ships mission is they knew it would take a long the to get where they where going. They may have just ascended before Destiny finish her mission or the war with the Wraith prevent them from finish the mission because of abandon the city.

But i been think may be they did build automated repair systems and it was damage some how. Or they figured they did not need that have the ability to open the gate as often as they wanted to to bring in supplies.

But it is true we will never know unless they bring back SGU.

This was some thing that i been think as i rematch SGU.

Comment

A repair robot was aboard Destiny. Another was also brought aboard during season two. While repair robots would have the ability to maintain the ship to a certain degree, the amount of wear on components from sustained use of the many systems on board would soon outstrip a single repair robot's ability to keep up. Remaining at 100% functionality and efficiency with a single repair mechanism would be nearly impossible.

Comment

Remember though that the crew had barely begun to explore Destiny. They had only been in a very small part of the ship, because of damage and energy concerns. I imagine that there are all the supplies they need somewhere on that ship. I had thought there are probably more shuttles in an interior bay some where, too. Oh, for 3 more seasons. sigh
                sigpic

Comment

In the season 1, the episode sabotage, they use a robot to repair Destiny, we see him(it) walking(working).

In any case, we shall know regrettably never everything the secrets of Destiny
                  sigpic
                  by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

I guest that there could have been a section with automated repair robots and that section was damage. Also the Ancients would have been able to send supplies to them to. It just make you think.

Comment

Well it was because the writers thought the search for Air, Power, Water would make a few good episodes, YMMV and the robot only showed up if necessary to a plot and was in the background then. The show never discussed when/why thr Ancients would try to board under the original plan. But strangely enough the silk bed sheets had a perfect Statsis Charm on them though.

Much as I think some of the SFX was beautiful and the best thing about this show, a Destiny that was supposed to last 1 million + years whouldn't have had a couple of glass domes or shuttles that docked ON the hull, instead of inside either.

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                        Remember though that the crew had barely begun to explore Destiny. They had only been in a very small part of the ship, because of damage and energy concerns. I imagine that there are all the supplies they need somewhere on that ship. I had thought there are probably more shuttles in an interior bay some where, too. Oh, for 3 more seasons. sigh
                        This.

As an example SGA had episodes about unexplored parts of the city all the way into season four (maybe five... I don't remember). What I wouldn't give for them to be stretched out all over that ship.... oh man. Now I just miss SGU more. Thanks. Ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                        X