Novelizations: Where are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novelizations: Where are they?

Greetings all! I’m new to the forum, but a long time SG fan. I’m writing today to express my dismay that SGU seems to have died with the show. Unlike SG1 where we had the movies and a wealth of material afterwards SGU has been fairly bare. I was hoping that once the show ended that the novels would pick up where the show left off. The first book to show up was a major let down as it went all the way back to the beginning of the story! To top it off there hasn’t been another novel yet. What the Frak? I want to know what happens next, not relive the past. You can’t judge if novels will sell based off of “Air” after the ending we were left with! Is anyone with me here?

I do believe the style of SGU would lend itself to novels. The "Air" novelization probably just didn't sell very well. I bought it on the off chance it would support future novels, but I don't have a great deal of interest in reading it.

Comment

I would like to see a story continuration in novel form like they did for DS9 (given that a reboot/franchise continuation is'nt likley to finish SGU).

I dont see how a show that was shot in HD that has no Blu-Ray release for its 2nd season will be picked up for novelization. The execs behind the (TV) franchise (imo) arent interested in investing in it right now.

Hope Im wrong tho.

Comment

Quite simply, there is not enough commercial interest in the series and/or concept *at this time*, sorry mate.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Why would anyone gamble on writing books based on a cancelled series that only lasted two years? It wasn't that popular, and it's already fallen into the realm of forgotten shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Why would anyone gamble on writing books based on a cancelled series that only lasted two years? It wasn't that popular, and it's already fallen into the realm of forgotten shows.
            Plenty of shows that have been cancelled after only two year or less have novelizations or comics based after them. Firefly and Dollhouse come to mind there - particularly Dollhouse, which had horrible ratings and less popular than SGU.

It's up to the writers (and approval from MGM) what is written - most seem to prefer SG1 or SGA. Or perhaps MGM hasn't approved of any story pitches of SGU. Wasn't that the reason for Allegiance's delay in publication, MGM took it's time to approve of the storyline?
            Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
              Plenty of shows that have been cancelled after only two year or less have novelizations or comics based after them. Firefly and Dollhouse come to mind there - particularly Dollhouse, which had horrible ratings and less popular than SGU.
              Firefly's cancellation was the result of network stupidity, not poor ratings due to lack of audience interest. This was proven by DVD sales and the feature film, Serenity. As for Doll House, I didn't follow the show, but I'm going to gander it had something to do with Joss Whedon's involvement.

It's up to the writers (and approval from MGM) what is written - most seem to prefer SG1 or SGA. Or perhaps MGM hasn't approved of any story pitches of SGU. Wasn't that the reason for Allegiance's delay in publication, MGM took it's time to approve of the storyline?
              Bingo.

Comment

IIRC one of the writers said it was held up at MGM because they'd changed staff or were reorganising the devision, not due to the content of the book.

If MGM thought SGU novelisations would sell well enough they could certainly hire other writers as they did with the Air novelisation and the continuing SG1 and SGA releases, so it won't be just that one one has pitched storylines yet. Because they did novelize Air I suspect they were planning to have books at one point, but maybe they just think there's no market for them so it's not worth it.

Comment

Well no, it hasn't, there are articles published almost daily that reference it.

Comment

Firefly's cancellation was the result of network stupidity, not poor ratings due to lack of audience interest. This was proven by DVD sales and the feature film, Serenity. As for Doll House, I didn't follow the show, but I'm going to gander it had something to do with Joss Whedon's involvement.

Bingo.

Serenity bombed at the box office. It didn't make back its budget. Maybe it did with DVD/BD sales.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      Well no, it hasn't, there are articles published almost daily that reference it.
                      From reputable sources or science-fiction geeks?

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                      Serenity bombed at the box office. It didn't make back its budget. Maybe it did with DVD/BD sales.
                      OK, you got me there. I guess that's why there wasn't a sequel.

Comment

By 'reputable sources' I assume you just mean mainstream media, in which case - both. I'm not sure what difference it makes either way though. In fact, the "I wish someone had told me how good it was when it was still on" sentiment seems to be a surprisingly common one.

Comment

Firefly failed because of poor ratings, it was partly due to Fox, but ratings were the reason why they pulled it off the air. As was the reason what the pulled Dollhouse off the air. As was the reason SGU was pulled off the air - all in the same boat - all but SGU have been continued in graphic novel format - so it isn't to far fetched to see SGU in novelization at some point.

OK, you got me there. I guess that's why there wasn't a sequel.
                          Does it matter? The writers of SG1 and SGA novels are fans of the show, hence the reason why the books are written in the first place. I'd considered them Sci-fi geeks.

There was never a sequel to Firefly, because Fox owns the rights, and long story short wouldn't know good television if it hit them in the face - they won't do it. The entire cast and crew want to do it - all comes down to money.
                          Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

It reminds me of Aesop's fable about the dog in the manger. A dog lay down for a nap in the cow's manger, and refused to leave when the cows wanted their dinner. The dog couldn't eat it, but wasn't going to let someone else have it. With Firefly, Fox owns the rights, and doesn't want to produce it, but doesn't want to let anyone else do it either. Fox could let someone else do they show, and get a cut of the revenues. Often, this sort of thing happens because they would rather get nothing than make a poor deal. The bosses might scream at them if they got too small a cut of Firefly, but they won't get yelled at for doing nothing.

There are plenty of SG1 and SGA novels, there is room for SGU novels. It wouldn't cost MGM anything. They would just pick someone to write the novels. They don't have to hire the author, just allow them to write them. MGM gets their percentage, and it doesn't cost them anything. They could hand over the notes and outlines to the author, and the story of Destiny can be told in novel form.

Perhaps MGM would rather sit on the rights to SGU and get not one cent more from new stories instead of making some money from novels. As long as they do nothing, the value of the rights to SGU are undefined, they can be whatever they want them to be. Once they sell books, the value is concrete, MGM's share of the book revenues. It is extremely unlikely that there will be new episodes of SGU. But as long as the theoretical possibility exists, that value still exist as a hypothetical value.

Comment

Working...
                            X