This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antarctica -- beneath the ice

Turn your fantasy world and Ancient history imaginations on, scientists have produced the most detailed yet map of the continent beneath the ice.

Check it out. Awesome.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Have you ever seen the map found about four hundred years ago in Europe that shows what Antarctica would look like without ice? The amazing part is years later NASA mapped out the continent under the ice via satellite and the original was accurate. Makes you wonder how its possible.

Comment

Have you ever seen the map found about four hundred years ago in Europe that shows what Antarctica would look like without ice?
      I have.
      sigpic
      Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

It really makes me wonder if the history we believe to be true is far off base.

Comment

It really makes me wonder if the history we believe to be true is far off base.
          I would guess that at least 60% of it is dead wrong.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm inclined to say that is a fair guess.

Comment

And I'd guess that that's 48% correct. Easy to throw around percentages without having to justify anything, isn't it?

The point is still valid though, despite my own misgivings with anyone guessing at how much is incorrect. Science is an on-going process of evidence, supposition, peer review, acceptance/rejection, new evidence, new supposition, etc etc. It's just the nature of the beast
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wonder what Antarctica would be like if the Ice wasn't there.
                sigpic

Comment

I should imagine that is quite muddy down there.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Now that is cool, thanks for posting

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    And I'd guess that that's 48% correct. Easy to throw around percentages without having to justify anything, isn't it?

The point is still valid though, despite my own misgivings with anyone guessing at how much is incorrect. Science is an on-going process of evidence, supposition, peer review, acceptance/rejection, new evidence, new supposition, etc etc. It's just the nature of the beast
                    What's the oft bandied about quote? Doubt is the basis of all science, or something to that effect.
                    sigpic

Comment

cool article

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      I'd imagine it would be alot warmer than it is now
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

There would be a lot more bugs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          cool article

I'd imagine it would be alot warmer than it is now
                          And a lot less white

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                          There would be a lot more bugs.
                          And some really hot polar bears. Hot because of their temperature control is geared for ice conditions, not because they look hot
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                            And some really hot polar bears. Hot because of their temperature control is geared for ice conditions, not because they look hot
                            Polar bears live in the Arctic. You have penguins in the Antarctic.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                              Polar bears live in the Arctic. You have penguins in the Antarctic.
                              Double goof on my part then? As soon as you said it, I remembered. Brain Freeze?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X