Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any opinion why SGU didn't take place in real time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any opinion why SGU didn't take place in real time?

SG1 and SGA both took place more-or-less in real time, calendar-wise. One season on the show corresponded more or less to one year in real time, and the 2006 season of SGA took place during 2006 AD, while the 1999 season of SG1 took place in 1999. This was one of the elements I really liked about the show. I naturally assumed they'd do this in SGU as well, and when they *didn't* I initially assumed it was some kind of writing or continuity error.

The final episodes make it clear that the whole 40 episode run takes place over the course of one year, though, presumably starting in late 2008 and ending in late 2009. (Which, I guess, means they'll thaw out in September of 2012 <G>)

My question for you guys, then, is *why?* Was there something about this particular series that meant that it *had* to take place in such a short period of time? Why so compressed?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

Would assume that it has somthing to do with SGU being more serialised. The time between each episode tended to not be very long.

Comment

Bingo. Due to the show's serial format and each episode picking up right where the previous left off, the show all takes place in a short period of time. Hence forty episodes equaling one year. The earliest the series could take place is 2009. I figure it either all takes place in 2009 or it could be mid-2009 to mid-2010.

Comment

Yeah. If anything, a year probably feels too long.

Comment

With SG1 and SGA, the adventures of the team were typically taking place from time to time on their away missions. These only occurred infrequently and, no doubt, they had weeks at a time where everything was quite safe and boring. (By comparison). With SGU, they were fighting for their lives against the ship, nature and physics almost the whole time, for air, water, food, etc. That's a constant battle.

Comment

SGU is somewhat more interesting. I really want to see one day how they wake up, find Eli's remains and move on.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The advantage to making it a serialised format that only spans a matter of weeks rather than months also has the advantage of showing us the crumbling psyches of the crew, which would occur pretty quickly to any human being in such a situation.

BSG did much the same thing.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                SGU is somewhat more interesting. I really want to see one day how they wake up, find Eli's remains and move on.
                What makes you think Eli died?
                Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  The advantage to making it a serialised format that only spans a matter of weeks rather than months also has the advantage of showing us the crumbling psyches of the crew, which would occur pretty quickly to any human being in such a situation.

BSG did much the same thing.
                  BSG started out with everyone crumbled, and they just got worse as the show went on. I liked that SGU started out with everyone not-too-devestated, and that they gradually got better. BSG started out with awful people and it ended with awful people (Excepting Helo and Sharon/Athena). SGU started off with average people who kinda' went to crap, and rebounded into something more than they started out as. Much more optomistic show, despite the vastly worse lighting.
                  Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
                    What makes you think Eli died?
                    I think it would be an interesting take on it if he died, instead of fixing the last module and being ok.

Comment

Originally posted by SG3Marine View Post
                      I think it would be an interesting take on it if he died, instead of fixing the last module and being ok.
                      Oh, ok, so you don't *really* think he died, just 'what if.' Got it. Seems more likely he'd ascend, to me. Particularly given the tone of the final scene.

Personally, if I were going to kill someone, it'd be Camille. Terrible character.
                      Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Personally, if I were going to kill someone, it'd be Camille. Terrible character.
                        I grew to really love her. One of the things that I liked so much about SGU is how it led me to a different place from where I started for quite a few characters - Greer, Chloe, Camille.
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                          I grew to really love her. One of the things that I liked so much about SGU is how it led me to a different place from where I started for quite a few characters - Greer, Chloe, Camille.
                          Camille really seemed to find her place towards the end, liked her so much better then.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wray felt like another one of those annoying IOA people(who replaced NID's role in the story) in the beginning, but grew out to be nothing more than Ford(awesome guy) was. A character who could easily be minor. Greer was great, Chloe had no problems.
                            Eli should be dead cos at least someone more major should also die. Although looking at the end and beginning of SGU, I felt as if we were watching this series through his eyes.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

If you view the characters as nothing more than plot devices or sources of snappy dialogue, yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X