This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Women Viewers and Kids kill SGU?

Since we've got a thread villinizing the people that actually watched SGU (old white males) I though it'd be appropriate to have a thread about those not watching the series (women and youngsters).

SGU had some of the worst female numbers of any show in TV history. Does anyone think this played a role in cancellation?

The average age of SGU fans was very high. Why weren't youngsters watching?

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    Since we've got a thread villinizing the people that actually watched SGU (old white males) I though it'd be appropriate to have a thread about those not watching the series (women and youngsters).
    Continously repearing that statement does make it true and actually the 18-49 demo was slightly above average compared to other SyFy shows
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

i agree it's lack of appeal to women did seriously hurt the show. one easy way they could have got more women to watch would have been to cast a really good looking guy like they did with michael shanks/joe flannigan so girls (and gay guys) had someone to thunk over.

as for why the show didnt have more young people watching i would say it is a mix of reasons and the main one's being the show was too slow paced and there was a lack of team spirit and humour. those are just my opinions anyway.
      sigpic
      The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Continously repearing that statement does make it true and actually the 18-49 demo was slightly above average compared to other SyFy shows
        This thread is about lack of female and young viewers.

Comment

Since we've got a thread villinizing the people that actually watched SGU (old white males)
          We have no racial demographics for the show, nor any political ones. The fact that there were a lot of middle-aged men watching the show does not mean that they were white, nor does it mean they were conservative.

I though it'd be appropriate to have a thread about those not watching the series (women and youngsters).

SGU had some of the worst female numbers of any show in TV history. Does anyone think this played a role in cancellation?

The age demographics for SGU were better than those SG-1 or Atlantis pulled, so that's probably not a major issue. The lack of female viewers certainly hurt the show. I couldn't attest to why however, as many (if not most) of the most dedicated fans here and online in general are women.

Comment

In a word: No! And as far as I'm concerned, it's a really stupid question. I'm a female, and could be considered an old white female.

Comment

The question should be this... was there appeal to women and kids? I don't imagine so.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                In a word: No! And as far as I'm concerned, it's a really stupid question. I'm a female, and could be considered an old white female.
                That is an emotional response. Had SGU kept the female SGA viewers it would still be on the air. The fact is women fled in droves. I find it amusing that it is OK to attack loyal SGU fans making up the bulk of the fanbase and then give those jumping ship a free pass just because they are over represented on fan boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  The question should be this... was there appeal to women and kids? I don't imagine so.
                  Does it seem rational for that fact to have contributed to the demise of the show?

Comment

That is an emotional response. Had SGU kept the female SGA viewers it would still be on the air. The fact is women fled in droves. I find it amusing that it is OK to attack loyal SGU fans making up the bulk of the fanbase and then give those jumping ship a free pass just because they are over represented on fan boards.
                    You make is sound like SG1 and SGA had huge female demos. They didn't.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm a woman and I watched SGU.

I don't really see why it would appeal less to women, really - I think the female characters in SGA were more rounded and believable as people than those in SGA and most in SG1 (except for Carter and Frasier). The drama element interested me and I wish SG1 had had a bit more of that (forgetting SGA.. I gave up on that).

shrug.gif
                      sigpic
                      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                        I'm a woman and I watched SGU.

I don't really see why it would appeal less to women, really - I think the female characters in SGA were more rounded and believable as people than those in SGA and most in SG1 (except for Carter and Frasier). The drama element interested me and I wish SG1 had had a bit more of that (forgetting SGA.. I gave up on that).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32748[/ATTACH]
                        Huh?
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

better question: do women like sci fi. although i should say SyFy.

the point is, the amount of people i know like sci fi have -since last year- risen to exactly 1 person. and he has abandoned Stargate.

anyway, something to thunk over? i don't know. going by this board, sheppard thunking was a pretty big thing.

given the amount of downloading of SGU, i'd say it was quite popular in the (if we're going to use those terms) young 'white' male demograph. it's just that those don't count. hell, my own like of the show doesn't even count since i'm not american.

i think the problem, downright simply is this :

the show was loved by the people who have no impact on it's staying and wasn't loved by those who had the impact.

unless the current "information = free" mentality changes to one with respect to digital rights, we're never ever going to see a show we like, which stays.

Comment

is all I'm sayin'
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              unless the current "information = free" mentality changes to one with respect to digital rights, we're never ever going to see a show we like, which stays.
                              Replace information with entertainment, and you nailed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X