Intro Change Season 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro Change Season 4

Why did they change the intro segment in Season 4, without showing the actors and including Judge's middle initial?

I read somewhere that it depends on where you got the episodes from; they were either changed for the networks or are different on the DVDs.

I have no idea why they changed it though. Shows usually do that every season or so, I'm surprised they kept it this long. Never watch them myself, always fast forward through them.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
      Why did they change the intro segment in Season 4, without showing the actors and including Judge's middle initial?
      A lot of shows do this after a few years; maybe they think it looks better? Who knows?

And they've never shown Christopher Judge's middle initial, so there's really no reason to do so in the 4th and later seasons. They will often show a middle initial if the actor has the same name as another actor. RDA is "Richard Dean Anderson" because there's another older actor by the name of Richard Anderson (I think that actor was Steve Austen's boss in the Six Million Dollar Man). And there is probably another Don Davis (I think there's a sports personality by that name - maybe) (and there's a composer, plus another that's some sort of storyteller), which would be why DSD is shown as "Don S. Davis". As far as anyone knows, there is no other actress by the name of Amanda Tapping, so there's no need to put a middle initial with her name. Same goes for Michael Shanks, although in his earlier acting days he was listed as Michael Garrett Shanks
      Last edited by hedwig; 13 November 2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        Christopher Judge's middle initial was never credited. Originally, the show's introduction sequence was the camera panning over Ra's mask from the movie. This was used for five seasons when the show was on Showtime. A new sequence was created for Season 6 when show moved to SciFi. This was because Corin Nemec had replaced Michael Shanks (for a year). On the DVD's, the sequence is used for the first episode and then replace with the syndication intro. for all subsequent episodes. For Seasons 4&5, they went back to the Showtime sequence. This was done because of audio commentaries included on the DVD's which referenced the Showtime intro.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Christopher Judge's middle initial was never credited. Originally, the show's introduction sequence was the camera panning over Ra's mask from the movie. This was used for five seasons when the show was on Showtime. A new sequence was created for Season 6 when show moved to SciFi. This was because Corin Nemec had replaced Michael Shanks (for a year). On the DVD's, the sequence is used for the first episode and then replace with the syndication intro. for all subsequent episodes. For Seasons 4&5, they went back to the Showtime sequence. This was done because of audio commentaries included on the DVD's which referenced the Showtime intro.
          Actually, the first three seasons had the mask and then a few pictures of each star with their name. Then in Season 4, it was changed to remove all the pictures of the stars and just showing their names. It changed again in Season 6 when Corin Nemec joined the show, and changed again in Season 7 when Michael Shanks came back, and then again in Season 9 to reflect Ben Browder in the starring group, and then in S10 to include Claudia Black.

I popped in a DVD from each of those seasons and 1 thru 3 show the mask, pictures of the stars and their names. In Seasons 4 thru 5 and onward as I stated in the above paragraph.
          Last edited by hedwig; 13 November 2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Actually, the first three seasons had the mask and then a few pictures of each star with their name. Then in Season 4, it was changed to remove all the pictures of the stars and just showing their names. It changed again in Season 6 when Corin Nemec joined the show, and changed again in Season 7 when Michael Shanks came back, and then again in Season 9 to reflect Ben Browder in the starring group, and then in S10 to include Claudia Black.
            Don't forget S8 when Don S. Davis left
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Don't forget S8 when Don S. Davis left
              Ooops. Sorry about that.

And S9 added Ben Browder and Beau Bridges.

Comment

Actually, the first three seasons had the mask and then a few pictures of each star with their name.
                You say the mask and then a few pictures of each star. I presume you mean the mask for "Children of the Gods," then the syndication intro for every episode up to the Season 3 finale where we return to the mask intro, yes? Note, the mask intro was what Showtime used for every episode from the premiere to the fifth season finale. The intro (for Seasons 1-5) that featured clips from the show was created for syndication. I wish it'd been used for Seasons 4&5 instead of returning to the original Showtime intro.

Then in Season 4, it was changed to remove all the pictures of the stars and just showing their names.
                Yes, this was only done because of the inclusion of audio commentaries which sometimes referenced the Showtime intro.

It changed again in Season 6 when Corin Nemec joined the show, and changed again in Season 7 when Michael Shanks came back, and then again in Season 9 to reflect Ben Browder in the starring group, and then in S10 to include Claudia Black.
                After Season 5, it changed every season as their was a change in cast every season.

I popped in a DVD from each of those seasons and 1 thru 3 show the mask, pictures of the stars and their names.
                On DVD, the only episodes to feature the Showtime (mask) intro are 1-1 "Children of the Gods" and 3-22 "Nemesis." The syndication intro does not feature Ra's mask.

Oh, and about cast changes...

Seasons 1-5
                Richard Dean-Anderson
                Michael Shanks
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                Don S. Davis

Season 6
                Richard Dean-Anderson
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                Corin Nemec
                Don S. Davis

Season 7
                Richard Dean-Anderson
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                Don S. Davis
                and Michael Shanks as "Daniel Jackson"

Season 8
                Richard Dean-Anderson
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge

Season 9
                Ben Browder
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                with Beau Bridges

Season 10
                Ben Browder
                Amanda Tapping
                Christopher Judge
                Claudia Black
                with Beau Bridges
                Last edited by Snowman37; 13 November 2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  You say the mask and then a few pictures of each star. I presume you mean the mask for "Children of the Gods," then the syndication intro for every episode up to the Season 3 finale where we return to the mask intro, yes? Note, the mask intro was what Showtime used for every episode from the premiere to the fifth season finale. The intro (for Seasons 1-5) that featured clips from the show was created for syndication. I wish it'd been used for Seasons 4&5 instead of returning to the original Showtime intro.
                  I don't really care what the syndication showed. My DVDs show exactly what I said they do. I've had these DVDs for 4-5 years now, pretty much since the series ended. In the first three seasons, the camera is panning over the mask, then RDA's name comes up, along with pictures of him, then the same for the other stars, with pictures of them. In every single episode, for the first three seasons, this is what is shown. Then in Season 4, the camera still pans over the mask, and there are no pictures of the stars when their names are shown.

However, starting in Season 6, the intro shows the camera panning over a stargate as the inner circle spins. The names of the stars are superimposed over that, along with a very brief scene from one or two episodes.

Just because it was changed in syndication doesn't mean a thing, since it was not that way when originally aired.

And while I don't see the point in doing so, thank you for pretty much repeating what I said about the changes after Season 3.

Perhaps there are different sets of DVDs for what was shown in syndication, and the originally aired ones.
                  Last edited by hedwig; 14 November 2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I don't really care what the syndication showed. My DVDs show exactly what I said they do. I've had these DVDs for 4-5 years now, pretty much since the series ended. In the first three seasons, the camera is panning over the mask, then RDA's name comes up, along with pictures of him, then the same for the other stars, with pictures of them. In every single episode, for the first three seasons, this is what is shown. Then in Season 4, the camera still pans over the mask, and there are no pictures of the stars when their names are shown.

Just because it was changed in syndication doesn't mean a thing, since it was not that way when originally aired.

And while I don't see the point in doing so, thank you for pretty much repeating what I said about the changes after Season 3.

Perhaps there are different sets of DVDs for what was shown in syndication, and the originally aired ones.
                    The intro credits are going to change from production eras and different regions as different companies produce the DVDs. I have the ancient big box sets and do not contain any pics of SG1 during the seasons that show the Ra mask but like I said it will depend on when you bought the DVDs and what DVD region you live in
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The intro credits are going to change from production eras and different regions as different companies produce the DVDs. I have the ancient big box sets and do not contain any pics of SG1 during the seasons that show the Ra mask but like I said it will depend on when you bought the DVDs and what DVD region you live in
                      Pretty much. It definitely depends on when and where you brought the DVDs as it changes internationally. Online I've seen S1 eps with the Ra mask and S1 eps with the character shots so probably everyone is right on this.

Comment

Are your DVD's Region 1? I'm guessing not. Let me break this down. For Seasons 1-5, the entire introduction sequence was a pan over Ra's mask, lifted from the original film. This is known as the Showtime intro. The introduction sequence that shows various clips from first season episodes is known as the Syndication intro. which was created for syndicated reruns. On DVD, the Showtime intro. is used for the first episode, "Children of the Gods." Then it switches over to the syndication intro. for the rest of the season, Season 2, and Season 3 except for the finale (Nemesis). The Showtime intro. resumes with the Season 3 finale (Nemesis) and spans all of Seasons 4&5. Seasons 6-10 all feature the introduction sequences as they originally appeared on the SciFi channel. There is no introduction sequence that features both Ra's mask and clips from the show. You likely have DVD's that are not Region 1.

However, starting in Season 6, the intro shows the camera panning over a stargate as the inner circle spins. The names of the stars are superimposed over that, along with a very brief scene from one or two episodes.
                        Do your Season 6 DVD's feature two introduction sequences? The first two episodes, Redemption Parts 1&2, feature the camera panning over the stargate with no clips from the show. The remaining 20 episodes feature a combination of the stargate pan over mixed with clips from the show.

There is only one version of the show on Region 1 DVD. The DVD's were released in new packaging, but the disc content remained the same.

Comment

Honestly, who cares? Hedwig mentioned what her DVDs show, your DVDs which are apparently region one show whatever you describe. Who knows, maybe mine show something different entirely or a combination or... just an intro. Obviously it differs between when, where and what kind of DVDs/seasons/collection boxes you've bought. No need to start repeating what yours show just to 'prove' they show something else from what someone else's DVDs show.

There are differences, we get it.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

There is an old thread about this and, digging through it, I found this post which explains all the openings...http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post10908415

ETA: All the numbers in the post are links to clips of the various intros.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X