The Sonic Screwdriver: Is it overused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sonic Screwdriver: Is it overused?

I think that DTs Doctor relys too heavily on the sonic screwdriver. The writers should bring it back to basics like with Peter Davisons Doctor.

Anyone else agree?
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Nope. love the sonic screwdriver as it is now. If they ever downgraded it......i'd cry.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Nope. I can handle the sonic screwdriver as the Swiss army knife of the Who Universe.

The Doctor has with very little technology at hand. He gets his ship, which routinely ignores him, sends sparks flying, or causes the universe to nearly come unglued, and a sonic screwdriver that isn't even the world's ultimate lockpick.

The man has to face enough obstacles. Let the screwdriver remove a few for the guy.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Well, it's sonic.

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          Well, it's sonic.

Agreed.

Sorry, but I love the screwdriver. Without it, he's only got his TARDIS to show he's the Doctor. I think. I love it.
          Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
          LOVE HIM-> DT
          ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

its part of the doctor for many regenerations ago
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
              its part of the doctor for many regenerations ago
              Not all of them.
              Or, to quote a certain incarnation of the Doctor talking to another...
              "Oh I forgot, you don't use it! "I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and a ball of strign and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Not all of them.
                Or, to quote a certain incarnation of the Doctor talking to another...
                "Oh I forgot, you don't use it! "I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and a ball of strign and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Love that quote! Greened.
                LOVE HIM-> DT

Comment

I want there to be a kettle and a ball of string somewhere in s4.

Madeleine

Comment

That would be pretty funny.
                    LOVE HIM-> DT

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                      I think that DTs Doctor relys too heavily on the sonic screwdriver. The writers should bring it back to basics like with Peter Davisons Doctor.

Anyone else agree?

Well, it's sonic.

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
                      Agreed.

Sorry, but I love the screwdriver. Without it, he's only got his TARDIS to show he's the Doctor. I think. I love it.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It's a magic wand. Like Harry Potter. Like sending troops to Iraq. Can't be bothered to actually think about what you've just written? --No problem, wave the magic wand and it's all fixed just the way you want it.
                        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I liked the sonic screwdriver better in the original series when the Doctor used it to open locks. Now it seems to be able to do anything from opening locks to scanning for energy signatures to healing the sick. I think changing it from a neat tool into a magic wand was a big mistake. What say you?
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                            I liked the sonic screwdriver better in the original series when the Doctor used it to open locks. Now it seems to be able to do anything from opening locks to scanning for energy signatures to healing the sick. I think changing it from a neat tool into a magic wand was a big mistake. What say you?
                            I say it's only a bad thing when it goes completely out of the realm of possibility of what sonic waves could do/measure.The healing of wounds is a bit iffy, but I think most everything else has some degree of plausibility.
                            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I like it how it is right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X