So why did it end when it did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Originally, O'Neill was only going to be seen in the alternate timeline. It was RDA's idea to have a larger role in the movie, appearing with SG-1 at the beginning and end of the movie for Ba'al's extraction.
    Didn't know that, but it fits. There's an oddness to the Arctic scenes where Jack shows up that didn't make sense if we'd aready seen him.

Evidently, "Talion" and "Family Ties" were already written and ready for production, otherwise they would have focused more on closing story lines. Had the show not been cancelled, I suspect that "Dominion" would have played out differently, and we would have had an entirely different finale instead of "Unending." Stargate: The Ark of Truth was suppose to be the Season 10 finale and the either the 11th season or at least the opening 5-10 episodes.
    Very helpful. Thank you!
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      A lot of half-truths and (seemingly) outright guesses in the post above that need addressing...
      • Sci Fi did not promise them an eleventh season at any point. They gave the go-ahead to re-sign the crew and (IIRC) at least some of the cast, but that's far, far cry from promising anything. That was insurance that they would have people to work the show if they had decided to renew it.
      • Ark of Truth was never to be the Season 10 finale in any way, shape, or form. But it was indeed made up of elements that were to be told across a potential Season 11
      Fairly standard to option a cast just in case. That makes sense, but it's an obscure enough procedure that people out of the industry would obviously likely misunderstand it. Good point. I do know MGM themselves wanted it to run longer, though.

As to Ark of Truth, yeah, that's why I say it felt so forced and abrupt. And, frankly, too easy.
      Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

For me, the only bad part of the movie is at the very end when the table is shot down by Teal'c. The ark falls, the lid flips open, and the uberPrior reveals the truth to Priors across the galaxy. My problem with this: Why didn't Adria just catch the ark with her Ascended Powers?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Not to mention that Stargate is an extremely niche show, and probably wouldn't have done well on a network anyway so it's doubtful that even MGM would have been willing to finagle over the costs of having it released from Sci Fi.

Really?

I mean, it strikes me as immediately accessible. Moreso than Trek or Dr. Who. It seems to me exactly the kind of SF show that would do well on a network.
          Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

For me, the only bad part of the movie is at the very end when the table is shot down by Teal'c. The ark falls, the lid flips open, and the uberPrior reveals the truth to Priors across the galaxy. My problem with this: Why didn't Adria just catch the ark with her Ascended Powers?
            I've got a lot of quibbles, most of which are related to the 'hurry up and end it already' nature of the beast. I just find it disappointing. The only part that really upsets me, however, is when they make a point of saying "The Book of Origin" is ok, and just because the Ascended and Priors were bad the book is still good, blah blah blah. This struck me as the writer's way of saying something along the lines of "While many horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity, the basic message of Christianity itself is positive." That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it."

So. That really bugged me.
            Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
              I've got a lot of quibbles, most of which are related to the 'hurry up and end it already' nature of the beast. I just find it disappointing.
              It sounds like your quibbles are rooted in the show's cancellation rather than the movie itself. Regardless of how the Ori saga was going to end, once the show was cancelled, it was going to be wrapped up in a two-hour movie.

The only part that really upsets me, however, is when they make a point of saying "The Book of Origin" is ok, and just because the Ascended and Priors were bad the book is still good, blah blah blah.
              Agreed. If the people of the Ori galaxy really wanted to find God, then they would completely disregard the Book of Origin as fiction and embark on a new quest to find God. To me, that would have been more realistic.

This struck me as the writer's way of saying something along the lines of "While many horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity, the basic message of Christianity itself is positive."
              Personally, I saw the Ori saga as a parallel of Islam, not Christianity. During the crusades, it was Islam who held the doctrine to convert the entire world of infidels to Islam, kill the rest. The Christians role in the crusades was to stop this from happening. Now, this does not mean that all Christians during that era were perfect happy people. A lot of people used Christianity as a political weapon, twisting words to bend common man to serve. The Holy Bible, the Word of God, does not at all compare to anything you saw in Stargate SG-1. The fact that the producers have contempt for Christians is proof. If they really were objective, then they'd have shown both sides of the coin.

That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it." So. That really bugged me.
              Bingo!

Comment

That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it."

So. That really bugged me.
                You can write a book to create a religion for your own devious ends (like sucking out souls, for example ) which will therefore inherently be a "fake" book, but it doesn't stop some of the generic themes (be kind to one another) being relevant.

Comment

I would think truth takes precedence over being nice. Anyone can be nice, but there can only ever be one truth, whatever you decide that be.

Comment

To me it was more about free will than whether the book was good or not; if people still wanted to follow the Ori religion or use the Book of Origin in some way, that was their choice. Freedom of religion. There will always be people against one or more religions but everyone should have the freedom to choose the path they want to take.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      To me it was more about free will than whether the book was good or not; if people still wanted to follow the Ori religion or use the Book of Origin in some way, that was their choice. Freedom of religion. There will always be people against one or more religions but everyone should have the freedom to choose the path they want to take.
                      What if that book says kill all the rest, the non-believers?

Comment

Then I'm sure it won't be the first 'religious' book to do so.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                          What if that book says kill all the rest, the non-believers?
                          Bingo.

Comment

As I said, it doesn't stop it being relevant - if the themes are about truth, kindness etc. If it says kill non-believers, it is arguably not about "goodness", only self-serving.

Comment

If I were following a religion and found out it was total fiction and that the gods were merely aliens, I wouldn't be following the good parts of the book. I'd abandon the entire thing in search of GOD himself. A moral code would be irrelevant without God as it's source, because it will vary from man to man.

Comment

Hi everyone.

Forgive me for asking a question that's probably been asked and answered a hundred times on here, but I've wondered for quite a while now: Why did SG1 get cancelled?

From what I've heard out of MGM, they were hoping to keep it going for at least another five years, and had pumped a ton of money into it to refresh it. The Ori arc was obviously intended to last a lot longer. Ratings were pretty good. Second-highest show on the network when it died.

So why?

Theories I've heard:
                                1) It was simply not popular anymore, and everyone hated it.

I don't buy this one.

2) It became too expensive to produce, what with built in raises and production stuff and exchange rates and whatnot.

Might be some truth here.

3) The producers simply wanted out and killed their own show

I don't believe this at all

4) Sci-Fi/Syfy was annoyed that their original spinoff, SGA, was getting lower ratings than SG1, and was always going to be seen as a 'little brother' to the original. Thus they decided to kill SG1, despite the good ratings, so it would make their original SGA look better. If people wanted an SG fix, they'd have to come to Atlantis for it.

To be honest, I suspect it's probably that one, with a bit of "2" as well. I've heard it rumored (Though never seen any proof) that MGM ran themselves ragged trying to find a new home for the show once they got word Sci-Fi was killing it. The most consistent rumors are that either CBS or Showtime were looking to pick it up. Then (Allegedly, according to rumor) Sci-fi involved a clause in their contract with MGM saying that no one else could run the show unless they (Sci-Fi) gave their approval. So not only did they not want the show anymore, they didn't want anyone else to run it anymore, either.

Assuming that's true. I dont' know.

So my question is: Why did the show end when it did and is there any truth to the rumor that Sci-Fi actually kept others from rescuing the show?

Again, I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I'm a relative newb, and any info you folks could give would be greatly appreciated.
                                I have to agree so much nad if you count the episodes after 200 its 214 or 215 so it raises eyebrows -like Teal'c
                                sigpic
                                Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Working...
                                X