Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: So why did it end when it did?

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: So why did it end when it did?

Quote Originally Posted by siles View Post
    After Season 8 the ratings started to decline as costs of the show skyrocketed (in S9 they lost one star RDA - but they had to pay 3 additional stars - Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Beau Bridges). If the ratings would have gone up post S8 enough to counter the increasing costs we would have seen another season. I still maintain my opinion that S10 was filmed not because it was very profitable, but because TPTB wanted to break the record of X-Files
    That's an interesting theory! Hadn't thought of that. The only thing that makes me question it is that nobody evidently told MGM. The writers and studio were clearly flatfooted by the decision, and were only told halfway through the season.

I know Sci-Fi told 'em to wrap it up, but they kind of refused. Allegedly the season ended exactly the way it would have, had they been renewed for a Season 11, which evidently they'd thought they were going to be at one point. This probably added to the rumor that they were trying to find another home for the series - on CBS or Showtime or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
    Entirely believable, and hence probably the right answer.
    I would hope it seems reasonable, since that's what actually happened

The 'They wouldn't let anyone else save it' rumors persist, though, and after a while they become self-feeding. I figured if anyone knew it'd be you guys. The (Addled?) logic seems to be that if the show had continued on CBS it would have had vastly more exposure than Sci-Fi was capable of, being a broadcast network, which would have made it popular enough be a huge success and detract from SGA
    There is a kernel of truth in this part of it as well....

Jelly's right, as far as we know Sci Fi has/had first-right rights for Stargate on TV. To alter the terms of that agreement would probably have been costly to both MGM and to NBC Universal (Sci Fi's parent company). Not to mention that, as you say, another Stargate series was also running on Sci Fi at the time and they would not have been interested in providing their competitors with a proven franchise. There's just no economic viability in that.

Not to mention that Stargate is an extremely niche show, and probably wouldn't have done well on a network anyway so it's doubtful that even MGM would have been willing to finagle over the costs of having it released from Sci Fi.

Money money money, makes the world go around.

Eighth Doctor revisit: Gallifrey V + VI

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by siles View Post
    I still maintain my opinion that S10 was filmed not because it was very profitable, but because TPTB wanted to break the record of X-Files
    The powers that be would be the SciFi Channel executives. SG-1 was cancelled right after "200" aired, the night the cast and crew were celebrating 200 episodes, just six episodes into a twenty-episode season, and after the network promised an eleventh season.

I strongly suspect using Jack so prominently was an attempt to lure back in SG1 viewers who'd drifted away from the franchise. I know people for whom 'Gate *IS* RDA, period, end of sentence.
    Originally, O'Neill was only going to be seen in the alternate timeline. It was RDA's idea to have a larger role in the movie, appearing with SG-1 at the beginning and end of the movie for Ba'al's extraction.

The only thing that makes me question it is that nobody evidently told MGM. The writers and studio were clearly flatfooted by the decision, and were only told halfway through the season.
    Bingo. Actually, cancellation was announced during the filming of 10-16 "Bounty."

I know Sci-Fi told 'em to wrap it up, but they kind of refused.
    Not really. Brad Wright wanted to end the show on a cliffhanger to lead into a movie which MGM was already willing to produce at this point. SciFi wanted a finale, not a cliffhanger. The compromise was an open-ended series finale. We get an ending (Asgard die, Earth get's their legacy, SG-1 is trapped in a time bubble for fifty years), but then it leaves the story open for movies (time bubble gets reversed, Teal'c stays old, SG-1 can now realistically fight the Ori).

Allegedly the season ended exactly the way it would have, had they been renewed for a Season 11, which evidently they'd thought they were going to be at one point.
    Evidently, "Talion" and "Family Ties" were already written and ready for production, otherwise they would have focused more on closing story lines. Had the show not been cancelled, I suspect that "Dominion" would have played out differently, and we would have had an entirely different finale instead of "Unending." Stargate: The Ark of Truth was suppose to be the Season 10 finale and the either the 11th season or at least the opening 5-10 episodes.
    Last edited by Snowman37; October 21st, 2011 at 06:54 AM.

A lot of half-truths and (seemingly) outright guesses in the post above that need addressing...
    • Sci Fi did not promise them an eleventh season at any point. They gave the go-ahead to re-sign the crew and (IIRC) at least some of the cast, but that's far, far cry from promising anything. That was insurance that they would have people to work the show if they had decided to renew it.
    • We know that the cancellation news came out during their 200th episode party, around the time that 200 aired. We do not know what episode was filming at the time.
    • Sci Fi did not tell Wright et. al to 'wrap it up'. Sci Fi had first-airing rights for the movies that were to follow, so it didn't matter to them if the series was the period at the end of the sentence or not. Unending was TPTB's baby to write a final episode for their 10 season series
    • Ark of Truth was never to be the Season 10 finale in any way, shape, or form. But it was indeed made up of elements that were to be told across a potential Season 11
    Last edited by DigiFluid; October 21st, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    A lot of half-truths and (seemingly) outright guesses in the post above that need addressing...

Sci Fi did not promise them an eleventh season at any point. They gave the go-ahead to re-sign the crew and (IIRC) at least some of the cast, but that's far, far cry from promising anything. That was insurance that they would have people to work the show if they had decided to renew it.
    Ah, I just assumed that re-signing actors meant the network had decided to renew the show for an eleventh season only to back out soon after. Thanks for clearing this up.

We know that the cancellation news came out during their 200th episode party, around the time that 200 aired. We do not know what episode was filming at the time.
    "On a separate note, this was also the episode which, when we were filming, we found out that we had been cancelled." (Actor Michael Shanks, in a post at his TVGuide.com blog)
    [source]

Sci Fi did not tell Wright et. al to 'wrap it up'.
    The writers originally planned to end with a cliffhanger finale, anticipating another renewal. But when word came in August of 2006 that SCI FI did not want an eleventh season of the show, they had to rethink how to end SG-1's run on the network without ending the premise entirely -- similar to the challenge faced when the show ended its 5-year run on Showtime in Season Five.

The network did not want a cliffhanger, Cooper said, and "out of respect for the fans we wanted that episode to have a little bit of a spirit of closure, a sense of ending without it being an ending. And thus we called it 'Unending.' It's one of those fun science fiction concepts that allows you to have a window into one possible version of the future for these characters."
    (GateWorld news report)
    [source]

Ark of Truth was never to be the Season 10 finale in any way, shape, or form. But it was indeed made up of elements that were to be told across a potential Season 11
    "That's going to be the story that [Robert Cooper] wanted to end the season with. It's going to be a big, splashy feature film. ... It is a great story. It's a big story. It involves travelling to the Ori galaxy."
    (Executive producer Brad Wright, in an interview at StargateSG1.com)
    [source]

Ruffler Extraordinaire dipsofjazz's Avatar

Sci Fi had first-airing rights for the movies that were to follow, so it didn't matter to them if the series was the period at the end of the sentence or not.
    Sky One in the UK aired Continuum first, before SciFi.
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dipsofjazz/media/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/dipsofjazz/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dadf52b3fe.jpg</a></a>

Lieutenant Colonel

He meant in the USA.

10.16: Corrected! It was a fair safe bet that I was on board with, but I wasn't about to commit to it without some sort of proof. Thanks for providing.

Cliffhanger: The network doesn't have to be happy about what they do. They'd already funded the entire year and cancelled them out of the following year. Moreover that's talking about the showrunners wanting to do an ending episode, not being forced into it at Sci Fi's demand.

AoT S10v11: Hm, that's not much of a tidbit. It looks like an out-of-context quotation, but I can't find the interview to check since "stargatesg1.com" appears to be defunct. Does anyone have it saved?

dips: Yeah, Snowman is right by what I meant there, US first-air rights. I should have been clearer.

Lieutenant Colonel

Cliffhanger: The network doesn't have to be happy about what they do. They'd already funded the entire year and cancelled them out of the following year. Moreover that's talking about the showrunners wanting to do an ending episode, not being forced into it at Sci Fi's demand.
    The fact that the network had to step in and ask them not to do a cliffhanger suggests that was the original plan. I figure the network didn't care what the producers did with the finale so long as it wasn't a cliffhanger. It's a reasonable network request, no?

AoT S10v11: Hm, that's not much of a tidbit. It looks like an out-of-context quotation, but I can't find the interview to check since "stargatesg1.com" appears to be defunct. Does anyone have it saved?
    I have the DVD, I could watch the making of the movie special to see if it's mentioned there.

I suppose I could too, but then honestly I don't even really care that much

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Originally, O'Neill was only going to be seen in the alternate timeline. It was RDA's idea to have a larger role in the movie, appearing with SG-1 at the beginning and end of the movie for Ba'al's extraction.
    Didn't know that, but it fits. There's an oddness to the Arctic scenes where Jack shows up that didn't make sense if we'd aready seen him.

Evidently, "Talion" and "Family Ties" were already written and ready for production, otherwise they would have focused more on closing story lines. Had the show not been cancelled, I suspect that "Dominion" would have played out differently, and we would have had an entirely different finale instead of "Unending." Stargate: The Ark of Truth was suppose to be the Season 10 finale and the either the 11th season or at least the opening 5-10 episodes.
    Very helpful. Thank you!

Second Lieutenant

• Sci Fi did not promise them an eleventh season at any point. They gave the go-ahead to re-sign the crew and (IIRC) at least some of the cast, but that's far, far cry from promising anything. That was insurance that they would have people to work the show if they had decided to renew it.
    • Ark of Truth was never to be the Season 10 finale in any way, shape, or form. But it was indeed made up of elements that were to be told across a potential Season 11
    Fairly standard to option a cast just in case. That makes sense, but it's an obscure enough procedure that people out of the industry would obviously likely misunderstand it. Good point. I do know MGM themselves wanted it to run longer, though.

As to Ark of Truth, yeah, that's why I say it felt so forced and abrupt. And, frankly, too easy.

Lieutenant Colonel

For me, the only bad part of the movie is at the very end when the table is shot down by Teal'c. The ark falls, the lid flips open, and the uberPrior reveals the truth to Priors across the galaxy. My problem with this: Why didn't Adria just catch the ark with her Ascended Powers?

Second Lieutenant

Not to mention that Stargate is an extremely niche show, and probably wouldn't have done well on a network anyway so it's doubtful that even MGM would have been willing to finagle over the costs of having it released from Sci Fi.

Really?

I mean, it strikes me as immediately accessible. Moreso than Trek or Dr. Who. It seems to me exactly the kind of SF show that would do well on a network.

Second Lieutenant

For me, the only bad part of the movie is at the very end when the table is shot down by Teal'c. The ark falls, the lid flips open, and the uberPrior reveals the truth to Priors across the galaxy. My problem with this: Why didn't Adria just catch the ark with her Ascended Powers?
    I've got a lot of quibbles, most of which are related to the 'hurry up and end it already' nature of the beast. I just find it disappointing. The only part that really upsets me, however, is when they make a point of saying "The Book of Origin" is ok, and just because the Ascended and Priors were bad the book is still good, blah blah blah. This struck me as the writer's way of saying something along the lines of "While many horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity, the basic message of Christianity itself is positive." That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it."

So. That really bugged me.

Lieutenant Colonel

I've got a lot of quibbles, most of which are related to the 'hurry up and end it already' nature of the beast. I just find it disappointing.
    It sounds like your quibbles are rooted in the show's cancellation rather than the movie itself. Regardless of how the Ori saga was going to end, once the show was cancelled, it was going to be wrapped up in a two-hour movie.

The only part that really upsets me, however, is when they make a point of saying "The Book of Origin" is ok, and just because the Ascended and Priors were bad the book is still good, blah blah blah.
    Agreed. If the people of the Ori galaxy really wanted to find God, then they would completely disregard the Book of Origin as fiction and embark on a new quest to find God. To me, that would have been more realistic.

This struck me as the writer's way of saying something along the lines of "While many horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity, the basic message of Christianity itself is positive."
    Personally, I saw the Ori saga as a parallel of Islam, not Christianity. During the crusades, it was Islam who held the doctrine to convert the entire world of infidels to Islam, kill the rest. The Christians role in the crusades was to stop this from happening. Now, this does not mean that all Christians during that era were perfect happy people. A lot of people used Christianity as a political weapon, twisting words to bend common man to serve. The Holy Bible, the Word of God, does not at all compare to anything you saw in Stargate SG-1. The fact that the producers have contempt for Christians is proof. If they really were objective, then they'd have shown both sides of the coin.

That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it." So. That really bugged me.
    Bingo!

Captain

That's all well and good, of course, but the just told us for two years that the book of Origen was a complete and total force put together by the Ascended for the express purpose of lying to and manipulating people, and that there was no truth in it. "All that stuff we said before? Forget it."

So. That really bugged me.
    You can write a book to create a religion for your own devious ends (like sucking out souls, for example ) which will therefore inherently be a "fake" book, but it doesn't stop some of the generic themes (be kind to one another) being relevant.

Lieutenant Colonel

I would think truth takes precedence over being nice. Anyone can be nice, but there can only ever be one truth, whatever you decide that be.

To me it was more about free will than whether the book was good or not; if people still wanted to follow the Ori religion or use the Book of Origin in some way, that was their choice. Freedom of religion. There will always be people against one or more religions but everyone should have the freedom to choose the path they want to take.

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    To me it was more about free will than whether the book was good or not; if people still wanted to follow the Ori religion or use the Book of Origin in some way, that was their choice. Freedom of religion. There will always be people against one or more religions but everyone should have the freedom to choose the path they want to take.
    What if that book says kill all the rest, the non-believers?