This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did conservatives kill SGU?

It's been said by Brad Wright (I think it was) that 'Conservatives killed Stargate Universe.' I'm pretty conservative (Duh. Check my screen name), and of course the reaction from the people on my side of the aisle is "What a jerk! We didn't kill Stargate! Blah blah blah! Angry! Blah blah blay! The president is a demmmeeekrat! Blah blah blah!" (I paraphrase slightly, but you get the gist). Most of the people who are recoiling in horror at this allegation, though, are people who'd already stopped watching Gate quite a while ago, most of 'em before SGU went on the air.

Thing is: The more I think on this, the more I realize Wright is probably right. My fellow conservatives probably *did* kill SGU, but probably not in the way, nor for the reasons he suggests.

There's also been allegations that SGA fans kind of refused to support the new show. Definitely there were some of those, but from my own experiences (I run a SF website), I don't think they were a significant factor.

So anyway, that's what I've got. Anyone got any opinions? Anyone still out there?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

I don't believe in that, the only one i thing that killed stargate is Syfy.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I don't recall any such thing being said.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

...what?

Comment

i think that he wasn't referring to political opinions when he referred to conservatives , maybe be was saying that the people that got accustom with the old SG hated SGU , and because of them the show died .

I base my assumption on the definition of conservatives as people who favors maintenance of the status quo ( somebody who opposes the new )
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

It's very easy in the modern world where politics are relatively pronounced, to forget that conservative is originally a mere word and not a political persuasion. I suspect the majority of people, to some extent, are conservative: they like what they know and aren't too keen on change (at least until they've seen the benefit).

In terms of SGU vs SG1/SGA, the latter was (or at least felt like it was) "the same people" in the same direct universe with a relatively large amount of cross-over. It was shot in the same style, the episodes were largely in the same style and so on. With SGU it just felt so different. Stuck on the ship, with relatively limited and specific off-ship episodes, relatively little direct SGC-type contact and so on. Hence "conservative" people could quite easily take some time to "adjust". Psychologically, at least in theory. In viewing figures they definitely did, though whether that's the reason we'll never know.

Comment

I don't know, I'm fairly conservative and SGU is one of my favorite all time shows.

I've been a sci-fi fan all my life and I considered SGU the cream of the crop.

Comment

Conservative doesn't just mean political but enough people have already said that though

but anyways I just hope one day someone comes and saves the Stargate Franchise
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Whats next? The weather killed SGU. Too much rain caused it to be cancelled
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

The heck? I don't think politics had anything to do with killing SGU.

According to this article it was low ratings that caused it to be canceled:
                    As usual, it boiled down to the numbers for Syfy, which is a unit of NBC Universal. Stargate Universe has recently averaged a 0.5 in 18-49, below the averages for the Syfy series that have been renewed.

Creators Robert C. Cooper and Brad Wright had planned a loose, five-year storyline for the series, starting with initial stories about simple survival -- progressing into more adrenaline-fueled conflicts first from home-galaxy enemies (the Lucian Alliance) followed by more alien threats in their own far-distant locale. Possibly, Syfy has lowered the axe now rather than later, so that the creative team can do what retooling is still possible to provide a partial resolution for the Destiny and its accidental crew.
                    http://scifi.about.com/b/2010/12/20/...e-canceled.htm

So maybe he meant because the ratings were very conservative SGU was killed.

Comment

Yes clearly it was the conservatives to blame, along with George W Bush, Obama, Dick Cheney, Nancy Pelosi, Wall Street, anti Wall Street protesters, Richard Dawkins, the Pope, Sean Penn (especially Sean Penn), Kim Jong Il, The Lannisters, Nick Clegg, the Commodore, zombies, David Cameron, Nucky Thompson, Richard Attenborough, Tony Soprano, Omar, Adam Jensen, the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Stanton Dowd, the Others, George RR Martin, lesbians, the lizard people, the daleks, the women who lives at number 37 and gives me weird looks and the gnomes that live in my brain.

At the very least blaming the above people makes as about as much sense as blaming conservatives for the cancellation of SGU, especially the gnomes, the little buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Whats next? The weather killed SGU. Too much rain caused it to be cancelled
                        SGU was killed by these guys:
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I think he meant social conservatives, i.e. people who have a problem with the sex, homosexual characters, more adult storylines.. etc. of SGU.

SG-1 and SGA probably had a fair few social conservative fans in the US so maybe the loss of those viewers contributed a bit to the drop. But I don't think that conservatives 'killed' SGU, it was meant to be a departure from the previous serires - its inability to draw in new non-Stargate fans was a bigger problem.
                          sigpic
                          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            Yes clearly it was the conservatives to blame, along with George W Bush, Obama, Dick Cheney, Nancy Pelosi, Wall Street, anti Wall Street protesters, Richard Dawkins, the Pope, Sean Penn (especially Sean Penn), Kim Jong Il, The Lannisters, Nick Clegg, the Commodore, zombies, David Cameron, Nucky Thompson, Richard Attenborough, Tony Soprano, Omar, Adam Jensen, the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Stanton Dowd, the Others, George RR Martin, lesbians, the lizard people, the daleks, the women who lives at number 37 and gives me weird looks and the gnomes that live in my brain.

At the very least blaming the above people makes as about as much sense as blaming conservatives for the cancellation of SGU, especially the gnomes, the little buggers.
                            Hehe

I think he meant social conservatives, i.e. people who have a problem with the sex, homosexual characters, more adult storylines.. etc. of SGU.

SG-1 and SGA probably had a fair few social conservative fans in the US so maybe the loss of those viewers contributed a bit to the drop.
                            I don't think I read a single quote where BW put the blame on "conservatives" of any sort. He blamed fans who only liked "Bubblegum shows" and "vindictive, sabotaging SGA fans" among other factors but I don't think he was so stupid as to say a general "conservatives killed us" in an interview. And it's not like the show ever attracted the attention of any conservative watch dog groups like "The Parent's Television Council" or others. TBH the sex never really amounted to much on screen, you can find more graphic scenes and sex based plotlines on most of ABC's Prime Time soaps etc, so whilst there were possibly some fans that tuned out because there was sex at all it certainly wouldn't have been the driving factor.

But I don't think that conservatives 'killed' SGU, it was meant to be a departure from the previous serires - its inability to draw in new non-Stargate fans was a bigger problem
                            This was one of the big things at the beginning of the series. The fact that it seemed to turn off previous fans whilst not attracting new ones, although I don't think that had anything to do with said old fans being politically or socially conservative or not. There are more than a few self described liberal fans who dislike SGU and there are conservatives who love it. If you move a franchise in a different direction after 15 seasons you are taking a risk, which in this case did not pan out long term.

Comment

What killed SGU is that nobody wanted to watch it. It had a decent start and people left at a rapid pace. The biggest decline was among women (one the very lowest women watched shows %wise) and young people (one of the oldest viewer bases) the two groupd that really seem (stereotypically) to dig the sort of drama they were shooting for. This sort of negates the social conservative accusation when your viewer base is old white men. Blame TPTB if you want as it is hard to figure out who else could be at fault.
                              I apologize for my bluntness.

Comment

Working...
                              X