X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbot Adventures

I present to you... Barbot Adventures!

Instead of posting videos in other threads where they don't really belong.. or are missed completely I have decided to post them all here so everyone can worship the great PH can see them.. and hopefully offer some feedback on the design of the characters and where I could improve the animation (I know I'm not great at it yet..) Everything in the animations has been modelled in Blender and (for the later videos at least) textured in GiMP.

I could post the videos directly into the thread.. but I have a lot of them.. and will be making more and I don't want the thread to look untidy so I'll just be posting links to them on Youtube...

Video One

This is where it all started.. as far as the CG robot is concerned.. there is a version of the character made of super sculpey, which is a type of polymer clay that is baked in an oven.... That version also carries a sword and pilots a spaceship.. but the first video is more about learning how to animate the character.. I'll get to the piloting of spaceships later

Video Two

So now the robot is the Cantina's Barbot.. he needs a bar He's not really controlling the water.. the water is reacting to a fluid control object, I just animated the Barbot to follow its path...

Video Three

Still haven't tried to make the Barbot walk... It just looks so complicated So I tried to make him fly instead The legs fell off because the leg armature wasn't parented to the rest of the body ... I didn't know that at the time so I made it into a feature

Video Four. New Barbot

So now it's a year later.. and I decided to go back to the robot.. and decided it was time for an upgrade.. The legs have been replaced with a wheel, the arms and neck have new joints, the body has a whole new shoulder piece And the head has been taken apart and the mesh improved.. I replaced the old reflective texture (created by pressing the "mirror" button) with textures I created in GiMP.. I wanted the Barbot to look like he belonged in the Cantina.. which meant graffiti.. lots of graffiti..

Video Five

The new Barbot wheel needs a new way to move.. so this video was part "learning how to animate the character" and part "Barbot learning how to move with a wheel" which is why the first thing he does is fall over

Video Six

Now that he can move he needs something to do.. and being a Barbot.. he has to collect the empty bottle.. There are actually three bottles in the animation. One on the table.. One on the platform on the other side of the room and one that is always in the Barbot's hand.. By moving them between the layers it appears as if the Barbot picks up the bottle, carries it across the room and then puts it down again..

Video Seven

I need more characters for the Barbot Adventures animation.. so this is the first of many. The cape uses a cloth sim to move when the character does... but so far every attempt at making the character fly has resulted in the cape flying over her head...

Video Eight: The Jelbot

This is a robot version of Jelgate... with three arms and a sword.. I don't think there's anything else I need to say..

Video Nine: The Cowbot

Quite a tricky one to make.. just because it transforms Getting the textures to transform too seemed to take longer than transforming the body.. Each piece has two textures and as one is turned on over 100 ish frames the other is turned off...

This is everything I have completed so far.. At the moment I'm working on a Susiebot and an Ukkobot.. Once they are done I'll start on building the Cantina.. And then I'll finally be ready to start animating Barbot Adventures

*end of rambling nonsense*

The Susiebot: Video ten
    7.14%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    7.14%
    14.29%
    7.14%
    28.57%
    21.43%
    7.14%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    7.14%
    0.00%
    Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 29 September 2011, 03:31 PM.

Barbot
    sigpic

Comment

I vote for video 6, o wait this isn't a poll

I think we need you to dub at least one video PH, a British accent would make Barbot much cooler!
      sigpic

Comment

Accents make everything cooler.
        sigpic

Comment

Jelbot is best. Doesn't need explaining.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Jelbot is best. Doesn't need explaining.
            Maybe...

The Ukkobot is looking good so far..

Comment

It looks like a giant rhino
              Jelgate is right

Comment

A giant rhino that may fire Ukkubes at you.
                sigpic

Comment

Only when the mods are no more
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Only when the mods are no more
                    *Initiates phase....whatever phase we were on* That day is now closer.
                    sigpic

Comment

It won't when it's finished.. Ukkobot can transform into a sphere.. Or is a sphere that can transform into an Ukkobot...

Comment

I'm very partial to Cowbot's gender-changing action. It's fascinating
                        sigpic

Comment

I voted for Cowbot cuz I like how it changes genders and just to piss jelbot off
                          Originally posted by jelgate
                          This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

If it can mix up a White Russian the why I like it, Barbot can go to the bath room where ever it likes.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

An update on the Ukkobot..

It all fits inside the sphere too...

Comment

Working...
                              X