Is SG-1 coming to blu-ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SG-1 coming to blu-ray?

So I am not sure if there is a thread of this yet. I was not going to buy the Stargate SG-1 Ultimate Collection that is $128 right now on amazon unless i know that Stargate SG-1 is not coming on blu-ray in the near future. I know that Atlantis has already come out on blu-ray. Any word on SG-1 coming to blu-ray? I was planning on buying my blu-ray player along with the set if or when it comes out.

I don't know if there's a thread for this either so I'll post what I think in here.

I think it depends entirely on how SG1 was filmed.
    If it's on certain types of film then just like the Original series of Star Trek it could be scanned frame by frame into a computer, cleaned up and then put into 1080p format for release on Bluray or maybe higher resolution formats in the future.

I think episodes from season 8 onwards may have been filmed digitally, I believe they were recorded in a HD format, but I'm not sure.

You may or may not know, but SGA is being released on Bluray.

The only issue for SG1 may be the SFX shots of earlier seasons, which may have been recorded in a low def format, so maybe the production team will have to remake them in a higher definition format for a Bluray release.

TBH I would say, never say never, unless someone who really knows about how every part of SG1 was filmed can comment.

Ultimately it may come down to whether or not it's financially worth it for MGM or whoever owns the rights to the show, if they earn enough money from releasing the show on Bluray and it's possible then it'll probably happen.

Comment

we should sticky this thread and continue it just in-case people want to know what is happening. We can post news on whether SG-1 is coming to blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        I think it depends entirely on how SG1 was filmed.
        If it's on certain types of film then just like the Original series of Star Trek it could be scanned frame by frame into a computer, cleaned up and then put into 1080p format for release on Bluray or maybe higher resolution formats in the future.
        As near as I can tell from some poking around, SG-1 was filmed in 16mm for seasons 1-3 (effects in 35mm), 35mm from 4-7, and digitally from 8-10. The best part is that the show's crew was smart enough to think forward and filmed all ten seasons in 16:9 - even though they aired the first seven seasons in 4:3. That being said, the process of converting seasons 1-7 to HD should be a snap.

Best case scenario, they go back to the original negatives and give everything a modern 2K or 4K scan (preferrably 4K), then reconstruct the episodes in the digital space. This is the same way Star Trek TOS was done and TNG is being done. I could go either way on either upscaling old effects or recreating the effects in HD. If the latter is cost-prohibitive for the studio and makes or breaks SG-1 on Blu-ray, I will gladly accept upscaled effects. However, unlike older shows like ST:TNG, it's possible the effects shots are in a format that could simply be re-rendered at a higher resolution, much like how Pixar's Toy Story was originally ~720p, but then Pixar went back into the computer and re-rendered all the CG at 4K for the Blu-ray and 3-D release.

16mm film contains more than enough detail to look great on Blu-ray. Some very high-profile films and series shot on 16mm that have been transfered to Blu-ray with exceptional results: Apocalypto, Pride and Prejudice (BBC), This Is Spinal Tap, Ken Burns National Parks, The Hurt Locker, etc. The first 3 seasons of SG-1 should look GREAT!

35mm contains enough detail to look great even at 4-6K, so 1080p will be no issue. Seasons 4-7 will be exceptional and likely look even better.

Seasons 8-10 will likely be identical in quality to Atlantis: very sharp and detailed, but somewhat flat and lacking compared to the previous seasons. HD video doesn't usually look as good as converted film. However, the FX will look much better.

What's most exciting to me is the increased audio fidelity. If they include lossless DTS-HD MA of the original mix, I will be most happy! I don't care if it's the original stereo mix or 5.1 or 7.1, I just want to hear all the great sounds in lossless! Music to my ears.

Of course, they haven't announced anything yet, so this is all a pipe dream anyway.

Comment

I SO want this (nearly as bad as I want XWP on BR)!!
          sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

Me too, already drooling! Maybe when my son who's two now is old enough to appreciate SG... Ten years, give or take.
            sigpic

Comment

seeing the battle of antartica and anubis getting his frickin butt kicked in lost city would be amazing to see in blu ray.

Comment

Is there any possible way to start a petition to get SG-1 put onto Blu Ray and once enough signatures are collected to send it to MGM/Lionsgate? I mean, if the people doing Star Trek: TNG can do it (transfer seasons onto Blu Ray with "enhancement"), surely MGM/Lionsgate could do it too... With enough support from fans. Any ideas?

~F1r3Ch1ck3n

Comment

hi guys. yes ive been wondering when this will happen ,i dont think there would be a problem transferring to blu ray as they have done star trek next generation season 1 and 2 so far and that was done in the vhs days way before stargate so i dont think you have to worry guys .

Comment

SG-1 would be perfect for Blu-Ray. I mean the series was filmed entirely in widescreen and with the filming method they used, it would be entirely mind-blowing. I don't understand why they didn't do the conversion thing with Blu-Ray when it first came out, it's like Scrubs, it's a pretty good show but there would be just a lot more appreciation, a lot more interest in it if it was released in Blu-Ray the way it was supposed to be.

SG-1 was shown in 4:3 for most of it's run, it's 16:9 on the DVD but it's low-res 16:9. Just imagine if it was reintroduced for syndication in 16:9; stations would be eating that up on the double. It has a lot of episodes, it has a lot of detail, it has a lot of quality; what is MGM waiting for, I would gladly pay a lot of money to see it in blu-ray.
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

There is still unseen material which could be put on a new boxset. I know this because:

I have heard actors at cons discussing scenes they were proud of which got cut for time.
                      The webmistress from mgm's site told me there were many bloopers other than the ones she put up.
                      I remember Teryl discussing how she played a joke on Dan Shea which was filmed: I've never seen the footage.
                      There are the little pieces of behind-the-scenes footage in the specials which were clearly part of a greater whole.
                      I remember on one of the commentaries they said RDA complained about alternative takes of scenes which got left on the cutting room floor.
                      The MGM website had some interesting deleted scenes which I would have liked to see at a higher quality.

I would buy a boxset if it had interesting new things to see...and they are out there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                        SG-1 would be perfect for Blu-Ray. I mean the series was filmed entirely in widescreen and with the filming method they used, it would be entirely mind-blowing. I don't understand why they didn't do the conversion thing with Blu-Ray when it first came out, it's like Scrubs, it's a pretty good show but there would be just a lot more appreciation, a lot more interest in it if it was released in Blu-Ray the way it was supposed to be.

SG-1 was shown in 4:3 for most of it's run, it's 16:9 on the DVD but it's low-res 16:9. Just imagine if it was reintroduced for syndication in 16:9; stations would be eating that up on the double. It has a lot of episodes, it has a lot of detail, it has a lot of quality; what is MGM waiting for, I would gladly pay a lot of money to see it in blu-ray.
                        I've never seen Stargate broadcasted in 4:3 or any show after 1996 for that matter. I saw stargate at the premiere it was in 1.85:1.

Not sure what you mean by low resolution, they published it on DVD, which holds a maximum resolution of 720x480. Stargate SG1 was on my HD channel in early 2000, that was in 1920x1080i.

I really hope they start adressing the show on bluray soon. I own TNG as well, and they don't exactly "rush" out their seasons

Comment

Originally posted by greenfish View Post
                          I've never seen Stargate broadcasted in 4:3 or any show after 1996 for that matter. I saw stargate at the premiere it was in 1.85:1.

Not sure what you mean by low resolution, they published it on DVD, which holds a maximum resolution of 720x480. Stargate SG1 was on my HD channel in early 2000, that was in 1920x1080i.

I really hope they start adressing the show on bluray soon. I own TNG as well, and they don't exactly "rush" out their seasons
                          yes only up to season 2.but as i said to others there shouldnt and wouldnt be any problem bringing it out as tng is older.

Comment

Originally posted by greenfish View Post

I dont see why they wouldn't be able to put SG-1 in blu-ray. They released the original movie with Kurt Russel in Blu Ray, so why not?? Hell, they even have the original Bond movies from way back in the day on blu-ray. Hi-Def wasn't even in the mind's of filmakers, so why not SG-1? I'm waiting on it though, but for those that want the complete series now it's on Amazon for only $98 right now...
                            http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-...omplete+series

Comment

It'd be great to see in HD.

So... if it was shot in 16mm then 35mm, does that mean that the DVDs are progressive? I mean, like movies where there were 24 frames per second shot, converted to 480i60, but able to be perfectly returned to 24p?

What's the best way to watch it until it's redone?

For example - are the PAL DVDs (720x576) a conversion of the NTSC? Or are they actually higher resolution? Is iTunes exactly the same quality (I took a look at some Season 1 previews and it looked over compressed).

Comment

Working...
                              X