Thread: Penny Dreadful

Second Lieutenant Baron Of Hell's Avatar

Default Penny Dreadful

The first two episodes have aired which I thought were pretty good. The first episode is kind of a scatter shot but I think that is just because the world is being setup. The second episode was absolutely killer though.

The things that stand out are the look of world which is Victorian dirty. The acting is great with two doctor who actors on it. I forget the name of the main female lead but she stole the show in the second episode. I like where the story is going but can't say it is great yet. Things are still being setup. So far I think we seen 4 different types of monsters. The creature design has a big range from basic to extreme.

I hope the show sticks around but I'm sure it will be canceled because of cost. This show can't be cheap and I don't see much talk about it.

Default Re: Penny Dreadful

I've seen the first episode, i like it

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
    The first two episodes have aired which I thought were pretty good. The first episode is kind of a scatter shot but I think that is just because the world is being setup. The second episode was absolutely killer though.

The things that stand out are the look of world which is Victorian dirty. The acting is great with two doctor who actors on it. I forget the name of the main female lead but she stole the show in the second episode. I like where the story is going but can't say it is great yet. Things are still being setup. So far I think we seen 4 different types of monsters. The creature design has a big range from basic to extreme.

I hope the show sticks around but I'm sure it will be canceled because of cost. This show can't be cheap and I don't see much talk about it.
    It will be fairly expensive but it's only eight episodes, plus they're filming in Dublin to take advantage of certain tax incentives that Ireland offers to tv production.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Stalking the streets with Jack the Ripper

This show is AWESOME!!! OMG!! I love it!!

Third episode was good. Maybe a new monster was hinted at. I'm not sure the guy could be some kind of animal tamer.

The show might be more interesting if you know the original stories of Dracula and Frankenstein. They have references taken directly from the books. They let out a name drop that Frankenstein fans will like.

S01E04

Another great episode. I'm kind of getting a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from the show. Which makes me wonder if the American is some kind of take on Tom Sawyer instead of a werewolf.

I was thinking something bad would happen during the play but nothing did. Just a little happy moment.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending. Didn't see that coming at all. I'm not sure if it was natural or some kind of compulsion.

Stalking the streets with Jack the Ripper

I am so interested in seeing what Ethan's deal is!!! The way he was with that WOLF in the zoo made me wonder about him!! lol!

Ethan and Dorian...... O_O..... HAWT! And them imbibing Absinthe.... Ooooh!

S01E05

Holy freaking molly. Great flashback episode with tie ends to episodes 2. Didn't think Green would get naked for this but she did. She is a skinny little woman.

The hole in the head made me squirm a bit. The kiss by the nurse was a nice touch. I think that showed they weren't trying to hurt her but was doing what they thought was right. I guess she didn't come out of her slump until she embraced the demon, devil, or whatever it was. So is the demon always inside her. Does the demon control her sexuality?

Peter was a interesting character. Searching for the love of his father and not getting it or not getting as much love as he needed.

Man this is a good show.

S01E08

Emo monster tries to get rough with the lady and gets kicked out for it. He had a touching speech with the doctor. He moved the doctor so much that the doctor decides to kill the gunslingler's girlfriend and turn her into the undead. I wasn't sure if she wanted to die or if the doctor just did it on his on.

We get a end to the Mina story line and a lot of dead vampires. Who is going to clean up all those bodies. There is a show that has to be put on the next day. I guess they can act around them. Cool fake out thinking the actress was going to be the bride.

Well we get to see what the american deal is. Not Dr Jekyll or Mr Hide but an American Werewolf in London. They have been hinting at this all season and it paid off. I'm guessing his father knows he is a werewolf and that is the reason he wants him back. No one can leave the pack.

Looks like they will be going all exorcist soon. Someone grab the pea soup.

Somewhere in the Stargate and Doctor Who Universe

Interested to see what season 2 brings...

Stargate SG1 - 1997 - 2007_______________Stargate Atlantis - 2004 - 2009
    Stargate Universe - 2009 - 2011_________Sanctuary - 2008 - 2012
    Merlin - 2008 - 2012_________________Star Wars The Clone Wars - 2008 - 2013
    Doctor Who - 1963 - Present ___________Torchwood - 2006 - Present
    The Walking Dead - 2010 - Present__________Falling Skies - 2011 - Present
    And many more... (Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, NCIS, Sleepy Hollow, Almost Human, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Under the Dome, Atlantis, Arrow)

Doctor Who Season 8 - Cant wait!_________________The Walking Dead Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Falling Skies Season 4 - Currently on!_________________ Game of Thrones Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Person of Interest Season 4 - Cant wait!_________________ Sleepy Hollow Season 2 - Cant wait!

Only episodes I enjoyed was 5 and 7, the rest I found a bit dull, hopefully it will improve next season.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit dull as well and somewhat predictable. They have too much dialogue sometimes. Just notice any given conversation with Eva Green, anytime someone says something, she always has to comment right after every line they say. Wonder where things are going to go now that they have a baddie out of the way.