The Wedding of River Song (3213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skydawn View Post
    Im glad that Im not the only person who adores River. Recent post have just confused me! How can anyone not like River Song?!
    She is a great character and her background story is an incredibly intriguing one!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I loved this episode! I especially love the Doctor's quote about how it's time he stepped back into the shadows. He's done that and gotten a fair bit darker too. I also love the profile shot of Matt next to the Tardis.

Comment

Im glad that Im not the only person who adores River. Recent post have just confused me! How can anyone not like River Song?!
        Quite Easily.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by 11thDoctorLuvr View Post
          I loved this episode! I especially love the Doctor's quote about how it's time he stepped back into the shadows. He's done that and gotten a fair bit darker too. I also love the profile shot of Matt next to the Tardis.
          Welcome to GateWorld! Look forward to seeing you around the Whoniverse section!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            She is a great character and her background story is an incredibly intriguing one!
            Exactly! She may be a minor character, but when you look at her background it is so interesting. The character herself has so much depth, and Alex Kingston does an amazing job of playing River! Also, and this is random, but River's speeches are far among the best in the entire series. I'm a theatre major and plan on using the "My Doctor" monologue for auditions. Mainly because it's amazing, and secondly because there is so much depth and honesty in that one speech. The one she does from The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone is amazing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
              Quite Easily.
              Explain. I'm honestly curious. My friends aren't huge fans like am I, but they're indifferent towards her. Why do some people "hate" that character.

Comment

Explain. I'm honestly curious. My friends aren't huge fans like am I, but they're indifferent towards her. Why do some people "hate" that character.
                Because she's incredibly poorly written and conceived. And she's pretty much Moffat's Mary Sue.

On introduction; she knows all about the doctor, knows how to use a sonic screwdriver and fly a TARDIS better than him with no explanation. And is incredibly arrogant and smug about the whole thing and is just generally unpleasant to watch.

Later it turns out she soo special and awesome, she's the doctor's wife! And the kid of his companions! And a time lady for some stupid reason!

If this was a fanfiction would righty be derided as a mary sue character, with ridiculous amounts of skills and accomplishments and basically that the episode shoves down you throat and said 'oh yes. You find this women cool and awesome! Without ever establishing her credentials, without ever making me actually care for her at all.

But since she was written by the showrunner suddenly its all alright.

eta: It's like take Rory. At first he's a bit of a dweeb but a generally good person. At the end of his first series. He's the frikken awesome last centurion.( Making everyone else's boyfriends look bad)

Now imagine if we'd just jumped into the last centurion with no real intro, never having seen him before. It would be silly and you wouldn't know why you were supposed to care about him or find him awesome at all.
                Last edited by Crazedwraith; 24 October 2012, 06:37 AM. Reason: added a section
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                  Because she's incredibly poorly written and conceived. And she's pretty much Moffat's Mary Sue.

On introduction; she knows all about the doctor, knows how to use a sonic screwdriver and fly a TARDIS better than him with no explanation. And is incredibly arrogant and smug about the whole thing and is just generally unpleasant to watch.

Later it turns out she soo special and awesome, she's the doctor's wife! And the kid of his companions! And a time lady for some stupid reason!

If this was a fanfiction would righty be derided as a mary sue character, with ridiculous amounts of skills and accomplishments and basically that the episode shoves down you throat and said 'oh yes. You find this women cool and awesome! Without ever establishing her credentials, without ever making me actually care for her at all.

But since she was written by the showrunner suddenly its all alright.

eta: It's like take Rory. At first he's a bit of a dweeb but a generally good person. At the end of his first series. He's the frikken awesome last centurion.( Making everyone else's boyfriends look bad)

Now imagine if we'd just jumped into the last centurion with no real intro, never having seen him before. It would be silly and you wouldn't know why you were supposed to care about him or find him awesome at all.
                  But isn't that the point? I mean the fact that she came on the scene knowing everything about the Doctor without him knowing her? That mere fact, makes the character all the more interesting.In fact, it's whole reason I began watching the entire series. Friends convinced me to watch The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. I had no clue who anyone, but the fact that River was a mystery in the series, made me want to watch to figure it all out. And I wholeheartedly disagree that she is poorly written and conceived. The episodes in which River is featured are my favorites. Like I mentioned before, they are so packed with emotion and depth. You can't tell me you didn't cry when she "died" in place of the Doctor in Forest of the Dead or when you learn that she's serving jail time for a crime she didn't do and is well aware of that.

Comment

Urgh. My internet crashed and lost the detailed reply I'd written. Suffice to say:
                    1) That being 'the point' doesn't make River likable or watchable.
                    2) What 'depth' does River have again?
                    3) I can tell, in fact I am telling you right now. I cried at neither of those scenes. They tried but not matter how much Murray gold they blare at me, it just ain't happening.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

I'm not going to lie, this season has definitely been a favorite for me, so much River!! But this episode capped it off. I'm a little bit late; I just now finished "The Wedding of River Song". It was amazing, and helped me understand so much. I love the almost "star-crossed" love between River and the Doctor, and seeing it come to this AMAZING climax made me smile. I am definitely a fan of River and the Doctor as a couple, and hope *fingers crossed* that we will see even more of it in the upcoming season.
                      PS - If there already has been more in the new season, please, no "SPOILERS"!!!
                      River and the Doctor are the best married couple EVER!! I love how she talks to him, how they have their special way of flirting, and how much he loves her and she him!!! O_O!! they are EPIC!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                        River and the Doctor are the best married couple EVER!! I love how she talks to him, how they have their special way of flirting, and how much he loves her and she him!!! O_O!! they are EPIC!
                        Agreed!Though I wouldn't refer to them as an actual "married" couple, but definitely a couple. Madame Kovarian, "Do I have to watch all the flirting?!" And Amy did say that River was the only person he ever allowed to talk to him like that, in one of the Angels episodes. They do have great chemistry.

Comment

Agreed!Though I wouldn't refer to them as an actual "married" couple, but definitely a couple. Madame Kovarian, "Do I have to watch all the flirting?!" And Amy did say that River was the only person he ever allowed to talk to him like that, in one of the Angels episodes. They do have great chemistry.
                          Technically they are married. They remember it so it happened even though it was in an aborted time line in a world that never was. River is still his wife. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH! Lol!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm still not sure what I think about River. I like her, yes. I enjoy watching the episodes she's in. Her speeches, her flirting with the doctor... all quite abusing, sometimes even touching and their first/last kiss, might be one of the best kissingscense I'v ever seen. Still though.... I' don't know... There is something, that's not realy convincing. I just can't tell, what it is.
                            Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Loved this episode! I'm not too fond of River as a character, but all the episodes this season where she's appeared have been good, and those without her felt like filler.

This finale was the best of the season, IMO.
                              sigpic

Comment

River Song and the Angels are what got me interrested into Doctor Who in the first place. I have to say that Rivers Character does have some Depth to her Character. Though I have to admit that I am going through this Series "River Song Style". So I witnessed most events in her order and not the Doctors. I have to say that every Actor did a great Job in portraying that Journey. When I arrived at the Library I felt really sorry for River since I knew the Day had come where her Dear Doctor wont recognize her.

What I am trying to get at is that her Depth is not what we have seen but the infinity of possibility ahead.
                                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                                X